Why am I gaining weight?!

Options
5'5" and been working out about 5xs a week. Took a week off after having my implanon replaced due to some hormone related nausea. All in all I've probably been at this for about a month.

But since I've started working out my weight seems to be going up? What gives? I've been eating under my calories, cut my soda intake from a couple cans a day to one can like every 3 or 4 days, and been taking Super B-complex and magnesium vitamins every morning.

I started this whole thing about 146. At the doctor's office before getting my implant replaced I was 149. According to BMI calculators, I'm about 2 lbs away from being overweight. Any tips?

I weigh myself the same time when I do it. I don't weigh every day. I'm just getting really frustrated.

Replies

• Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself everyday because of the significant (3-4#) fluctuation in weight. I only 'officially' document my weight one day a week. Weigh yourself on the same scale when you do. My doctor's scale is always 2# heavier than my scale.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    could be 2 things

youre either eating too little, for that make sure your net is always around 1200, dont be afraid to go a little over
    or
    youre building up a lot of muscle, for that take measurements instead of using the scale :D
  • Dexidah
    Dexidah Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I didn't even think about the doctor's scale being different than mine. D:

Now, let's say I'm very, very new to this whole thing.

How does one go about taking measurements accurately? lol
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-get-your-body-measurements.html

and yeah also give it time, things arent going to change over night
    measurements will probably take about a month to change too
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    It could very well be the change in hormones messing with your weight. Hormones have a lot to do with weight fluctuations.

I would stick to whatever I was doing, providing it was healthy and not too much or too little, and just ignore the scale. Measure yourself with a tape measure, take photos, go by the fit of your jeans, etc.

Also, those BMI charts are notoriously ridiculous. Don't look to them to determine whether or not you're overweight. I don't know what your body is like, but you're not really beyond a healthy range for a woman 5'5". I'm an inch taller and was in the best shape of my life at 150 and muscular. BMI charts might have put me at overweight or close to it, but I was pretty lean and strong. The scale doesn't tell the full story, and neither does BMI.
  • paulcocker1
    paulcocker1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to weigh daily and take a 7 day average as my reading.

The bumps up and down get smoothed out.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options

I'm going to start doing this.... I suffer from sodium fluctuation in the worst way.
  • alijane9
    alijane9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

What a good idea! Saves those momentary panics... Hormones aside, which is a valid point. Perhaps keep an eye on sodium levels? or the types of food you are eating - e.g. how much processed food? Water intake at recommended 8 or so glasses a day? The body has an amazing capacity to hold on to fluid when it wants to and this can sometimes lead to temporary gains too.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My gym scales have me lighter by about 3 kilos lighter than my doctors scales. I know which I use more often, as I don't have scales at home.
    Prefer to measure than weigh anyway, since I use weights as well.