Breast reduction and weight loss

Options
Hi all I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for an upcoming breast reduction, also if you have any pics of your overall weightloss and breast reduction i want to get an idea of how vast a change it makes. I'm scared but I know it will be worth it and ill be able to jog yay !!!!

Sorry it's in this section I wasn't quite sure where to put it and now can't figure out how to move it :)

Replies

• newlife3182
    Options
    My mom had a breast reduction about 4 years ago and she's lobed it. She is a slow healer and has problems with infections after surgery but that one was a breeze she was feeling great. It really did make her look smaller all over she was heavy to start too. I good luck my mom has always told me it's the best thing she has ever done!
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I hope it all goes well, it's probably the first thing I want to do once I reach and maintain goal for a year.
  • Khole02
    Options
    I actually had one myself! When I was 22 (2 years ago) I was a 42E now I am a 36/38 B, I was advised to lose weight before my reduction (as much as possible) I weighted my heaviest at 237. But I went through it anyway without losing the extra weight. I regret it. I am 1000000000000000% Happy with the outcome. After my surgery I was a 38C, but with working out .. comes weight loss.. yup in that area too! : (. I had back problems at a young age, my posture was horrible. now I am pain free and I really don't need to wear a bra.

Don't be scared of this surgery, I can honestly say I was the biggest chicken when it came to my surgery. everything ran in my head of the worst possible scenarios. I am so happy and I would do it again! My surgeon recommended that I take 6 weeks off for healing. I think honestly at my job where I don't do my strenuous movement i was ready to go back in 2 weeks. I did have staples and stitches, my scars are healing nicely still.

Do not be scared , I felt like a new person after! : )
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Was your breast reduction covered by your insurance? I'm thinking it should be, but just wondering if it was or not. I'd also like to have one if I can get close to my goal weight of 130. I cannot find a sports bra that is supportive no matter what I try. I bought some really expensive Enell ones, but I can't even breathe in them. UGH!
  • charovnitza
    Options
    My breast reduction is scheduled for March 11th. Mine is mostly covered by insurance, and I've wanted to do this for years. I presently wear a 40/42 H (that's 5 D's.) For comparison sake, the difference in cup size from a AA to a D, is the same difference from a D to DDDDD. I have back and neck issues, and deep grooves in my shoulders from bra straps. The doctor advised me to lose some weight before the operation, so I've lost almost 16 pounds, and will hopefully hit 20 before the surgery. He said that if I didn't lose weight before the operation, and did after, they might sag. I can live with some sag, but I could no longer live with my huge breasts. And hey, I'll also lose a few pounds :).
  • longin2bsexy
    longin2bsexy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction about 6 yrs ago probably and it was the BEST thing I have ever done. I was told to lose weight also and didn't. I do notice I lose weight in my breasts first but I am okay with it because I truly wanted really small breasts but ended up with a C cup. The recovery time was nothing (however I work at a job that I sit and don't do anything strenuous) and my insurance ended up paying for it after I went to the chiropractor and physical therapist to show them it wasn't helping. I feel so much better about myself, I felt like guys were always staring at my chest and I hated it. I am definitely not so self conscious and I love being able to buy a bra anywhere. You will not regret it!!! Good luck!
  • michelleavent1979
    Options
    I had one when I was 20ish.. (don't remember exactly.)

They took 5 lbs off/out (however you want to say it!

I did not realize how much back/neck pain I had, until I didn't have to deal with it anymore. I have much better posture and now can buy button up shirts that fit.

Good luck, and I hope it goes well.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I got in shape first..

one of the best things I ever did!
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I sure do wish I could give you my happy success story, but I regret having my breast reduction. I'm probably part of the small percentage of women who experienced complications/risks involved with the surgery...

If you'd like to know more, send me a message, and I'll gladly share my story. I don't want to discourage or scare anyone away from it...as I said, I'm likely a minority, and just plain unlucky I suppose.

Best of luck to you :)
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Best decision I've ever made sometimes I forget I was ever even a 36DDD its been 8 years now. Afterwards I was a C cup but I picked up some weight and went to a 36D but now that I'm losing weight there getting smaller, hopefully they'll go back to a C cup. Also at that time I was on the heavy side and people didnt know what I had done so they all thought I lost a ton of weight. :smile:
  • kathunny
    Options
    I had a breast reduction in 1994 and what a big advancement in technology since then! I am a surgery nurse and can tell you that it is so much better now! You will love it! I wanted to show them to everybody! (Of course, I had to reign that in. Can't go around flashing folks you know!) Good Luck!
    P.S. Research, and make sure you have a good surgeon! Very important!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery last June and I would highly recommend trying to lose weight before hand. I didn't lose as much as I should have & now I have to go back for some lipo under 1 arm, at a furher expense. I paid out of pocket for my surgery, almost $10,000. I went from a 40H to a 40C and my main reason was for back pain so I wasn't concerned about the results other than pain relief but its been emotional for me. I don't feel like myself anymore. I used to have an hourglass figure, and now I feel like a rectangle, I also gained weight after surgery due to lack of exercise & a long healing and for the first time in my life my waist is larger than my chest. I am the exception to the rule I know. Most are totally thrilled with the out come. Its just taking me a little longer to warm up to the new girls.
  • denisechatt
    Options
    I had mine in 2000 and it was one of the best things I've ever done. I was always self conscious about them.. I wasn't that big, but I am only 5ft, and I was probably pushing a DD. The Dr even said I was very un-porportioned.

Best of luck to you! I KNOW you will be glad you did it. I wish more people would/could do it. :) Just take care of yourself post op, etc.

Denise
  • newyorklover91
    newyorklover91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would love to get mine reduced, I am currently a 12E and way out of proportion. I have really bad neck/back problems. I think I will wait until after I have kids though, (I'm only 22! so a few more years yet!) so that they don't inflate when I have kids and I'll have to get them re-done!
  • Clarissia_Nicole
    Clarissia_Nicole Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just had a consultation today. They are checking in with my insurance company to see if they will cover it...I should have an answer in 6 weeks max. If they will cover it, I'm going through with it! I'm so excited and nervous! I will be going from a DD to a C if they will perform the operation.
  • stephfranke
    stephfranke Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had one three months ago and do not regret it one bit. The only regret is not doing it sooner. I was a 36j/k and had to order in from england and pay approx 150 a bra... yes crazy! Now am approx a 36 D, or 38 C.... they took me down about 10 sizes and took off 2 oz shy of 5 lbs. I was so top heavy that I never wanted to do any thing pyhsical (sp) and of course the stares from the men drove me crazy. Like really. I had two weeks off of work and 8 weeks lesser days. I work in an office. I am well on my way to a great spring, and love the idea I can buy a bra off the shelf. Follow your recovery instructions, and you will be fine. I didn't stress too much about my weight in recovery and survived Christmas fairly decently. I am now getting back into it. You will love it. I can't stress the difference I feel in general. Didn't even know I had all those issues! Good luck!
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    had one; best thing i EVER did!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I wanted one soooooooo bad prior to my weight loss. I was a 38 DDD, and felt horrible about them. I could not wear blouses or fitted shirts.

I went to a surgeon to look into breast reduction, and he quoted me $8000. It never happened.

In January 2011 I joined WW, changed my eating habits, and cut out fast food completely. I lost 90 lbs.

I'm now a 34 B. No surgery whatsoever!

I have a few minor stretch marks but they don't bother me a bit.

I'm so ecstatic about it I could cry....
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction over a year ago and it was the best decision i ever made for myself. I went from a 38F to a 38C and am very happy. No more pain and everything fits. Many women say that they are worried that they will look heavier without large breasts but it was exactly opposite in my experience. Everyone just kept asking me if i had lost weight. Go for it, you will never look back.
  • I'm a 16F (Australian btw) at the moment (not that I can find bras anywhere =S). I've been wanting a reduction since I was 18 and a 14E... I will be waiting until I lose all the weight first (just in case they go down naturally!) but if not I want to finally be a C cup, I haven't been a C cup since I was 15!!!

Good luck and I hope insurance covers it for you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!