Suggestions on how to jazz up brown rice?

Options
Have been trying to switch out the potatoes my husband loves to eat with dinner for brown rice occasionally. I enjoy it with stir frys or meals that include some kind of sauce, but am finding it a bit plain as a side to, say, chicken breast and veggies. Its just a bit dry on its own.

Does anyone have any ideas on simple, low calorie 'improvements' that would make it a bit more interesting?

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    i am no chef and need tips aswel lol
    Good post
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i like it cooked with a herb like mint or rosemary in the water as well as a bit of salt, or used in stirfries, or cold in a salad with veges and a little feta.

It's also nice with hummus and chicken in it. sounds weird, but i like it
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Make it into egg fried rice?
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I sometimes stir in a spoon of pesto.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I sometimes stir in a spoon of pesto.

YUM

soooo trying that.

also, you can get brown jasmine and brown basmati now, theyre a bit less dense tasting and easier to eat, i find
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said about the pesto. I really like having brown rice, a can of boneless and skinless salmon, cucumber and some pesto. It is yummy!

My usual yet though is probably quite boring, but I like brown rice, a few tins of tuna, cucumber, tomato or instead of tuna - some chicken or turkey breast. Keeps me nice and full!
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Chilli, low fat Creme fraiche and spinach leaves
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Chilli, low fat Creme fraiche and spinach leaves

okay, you people are now officially writing my new supermarket shopping list/menu. YUM
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Once it's a day old, fry with a teeny bit of oil, some green onions, chopped kimchee and a splash of soy sauce. Serve with egg on top. Can add chopped chicken, baked tofu etc etc to make more substantial...
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I rarely use it as a side dish and usually incorporate it into the rest of the ingredients.

Chop up the chicken and broccoli and stir through the rice with something to make a sauce (so less dry) - try pesto, chicken stock, garlic, herbs, creme fraiche, Greek yoghurt, tomatoes etc etc.

Use it as the basis for fried rice (use one-cal oil spray) with soy sauce, chillies, fish sauce, rice wine, stock , garlic, sesame seeds etc etc.

Make a biryani - stir through curried meat and/or veg.

Use cold as the basis for a salad - stir through tuna, spring onions, chopped cherry tomatoes, black pepper, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, feta cheese, olives etc etc.

I love brown rice!
  • __Aid__
    __Aid__ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to make this all the time, but i'd add green onions and chilli to spice it up a little

Brown rice bowl per Insanity Nutritional Guide

1/2 c cooked brown rice
    2 oz. grilled chicken breast
    1/3 c corn niblets
    1/3 cooked peas 1/2 c cooked brown rice
    2 oz. grilled chicken breast
    1/3 c corn niblets
    1/3 cooked peas
    Minutes to Prepare: 10
    Minutes to Cook: 45
    Number of Servings: 1

Ingredients
    cook the brown rice prior to creating the dish to save time.
    /2 c cooked brown rice
    2 oz. grilled chicken breast, diced
    1/3 c corn niblets
    1/3 cooked peas

Directions
    this serves one person:
    cook the brown rice per instructions
    heat up the corn and peas via stove top or microwave
    heat up the chicken, I use the tyson ready chicken strips

Combine the rice, chicken, corn and peas.

Nutritional Info

Servings Per Recipe: 1
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 357.3
    Total Fat: 4.7 g
    Cholesterol: 50.0 mg
    Sodium: 773.1 mg
    Total Carbs: 87.5 g
    Dietary Fiber: 5.3 g
    Protein: 32.8 g
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you are cooking the rice. However, my suggestion is to cook brown rice using the absorption method. Any quantity of brown rice and just add cold water to one inch (2.5cm) above the level of the rice. Add a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to boil and then reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer. Keep an eye on it and test the rice now and then by tasting it. Add more water if it looks like its going toboil dry before its finished cooking. Brown rice cooked using this method is far superior to brown rice boiled in copious water and then drained.
    A good condiment is gomashio: dry pan roast any quantity of sesame seeds and when they go golden brown - add salt. You want a sesame seed to salt ratio of 10:1. Grind together in a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder. You can also add roasted nori (seaweed) to your gomashio.
    I hope that helps.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I'm not sure how you are cooking the rice. However, my suggestion is to cook brown rice using the absorption method. Any quantity of brown rice and just add cold water to one inch (2.5cm) above the level of the rice. Add a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to boil and then reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer. Keep an eye on it and test the rice now and then by tasting it. Add more water if it looks like its going toboil dry before its finished cooking. Brown rice cooked using this method is far superior to brown rice boiled in copious water and then drained.
    A good condiment is gomashio: dry pan roast any quantity of sesame seeds and when they go golden brown - add salt. You want a sesame seed to salt ratio of 10:1. Grind together in a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder. You can also add roasted nori (seaweed) to your gomashio.
    I hope that helps.
    kind regards,

Ben

I buy my gomashio at the japanese import store, it's cheap as :) mmmm gomashio
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I like this thread- Sometimes I like to put honey on wild rice for a little snack.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    A good condiment is gomashio: dry pan roast any quantity of sesame seeds and when they go golden brown - add salt. You want a sesame seed to salt ratio of 10:1. Grind together in a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder.

That sounds amazing :)
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've also made a stir through sauce with some greek yoghurt, tomato puree, cumin or whatever spices I fancy!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Buy some pastes to mix through, it will jazz up the rice in a second! I'm pretty sure most supermarkets stock them (They do in the UK anyway) but if not try an international supermarket or online.

-Morroccan Harissa paste (spicy tomato paste) & serve with lamb/ grilled chicken/ fish & lemon juice.

- Indian Curry Paste (Like balti paste or jalfrezi paste) and serve with grilled meat/fish/veggies and fresh coriander (cilantro) and lime juice.

- Ditto with pesto. You can buy so many different types of pesto nowadays like Aubergine (eggplant) pesto, sundried tomato pesto, chilli pesto....

- Make your own 'greek' paste with about 20 pitted black olives, 2 tbsp sundried tomato paste and oregano/dill.

- Thai sweet chilli sauce, chopped spring/green onions and chopped cilantro/coriander.

- teriyaki sauce & mushrooms

- Sesame oil & soy sauce with egg & spring/green onions.
  • harric88
    harric88 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have brown rice, tuna / salmon, carrots, peas and brocolli (chop the brocolli into little bits) in a bowl for my lunch easy to make at work :) not bored of it yet either!!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Make it into egg fried rice?

This! It add's up the protein macro too.
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    stirfry in a bit of oil with garlic and onions sprinkle a bit of soya sauce (check sodium) and its done ...
    i find it the easiest...