Suggestions on how to jazz up brown rice?

Options

Replies

• rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Again for leftover cold rice, or even just cooked rice, you can fry some chopped onion witi a little bit of oil, add the cooked rice and chopped coriander , I think it's called cilantro in the US. Make sure all is warmed through and serve.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    add any of the following:

-dried seaweed flakes
    -nutritional yeast (tastes like man n cheez)
    --salsa
    -beans
    -hot sauce
    -garlic powder
    -nuts
    -chopped apples
    ANYTHING :)
  • paulahunter3
    Options
    last night I made gorgeous brown rice.

Cooked my rice in the morning then when I came in from work I stir fried it with red pepper, veg stock powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, soy sauce and a little sesame oil, it was sooo good!

When I am just normally boiling it, i add in veg stock powder (for me builion is best) and then depending what I am having I might add in garlic powder, curry powder, soy sauce, sesame oil etc.
  • O2BFatNoMore
    Options
    I generally eat mine plain, after making about a week's worth in the rice cooker. I add a little onion powder and a touch of canola oil. This keeps it kind of flavor-neutral so I can do other stuff. My favorite is baking salmon fillets on top of the brown rice in a baking dish with a little butter and seasoning on the salmon. The rice gets a little cruchy and absorbs the flavors from the salmon. Party in my mouth.
  • beautyimthebeast
    Options
    MORE BROWN RICE just kidding. Carrots ( small dice ) , green peas and ham or bacon( small pieces ) and of course sprinkle whey protein just kidding. Carrots,peas and ham.trust me im an asian haha lol
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    chickpeas and lentils
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    hahaha...I read Jazz up too quickly so I read it a different way and laughed like a little boy.

I tend to put a little season salt in mine, sometimes add some carrots and also eating it with Avocado. That tends to help
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think short grain brown organic rice tastes better. I like to add a few cashews like in Cashew-chicken & rice. It has other things in it like soy sause, celery, bell pepers, onions, baby corn, water chestnuts maybe.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you have a "spicy tooth" and you're feeling lazy, try plain ol' cooking it and stirring in several drops of your favourite hot sauce. :) Gives it a nice kick.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I cook it with sprouted beans, carrots, onions, garlic and veggie broth. It tastes super yummy.
  • pinkupooh
    Options
    If you don't mind the garlic and oninon, then I would say saute some crushed garlic and onion in little oil, add salt-black pepper, then add the rice and at last add finely chopped green onion/cilantro.
    You could do same for chopped up boiled potatoes too. Both would taste yummy...:)
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    also sugar peas,
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Mix in some or all of the following : black beans, salsa (or diced tomatoes), shredded chicken, chopped up green beans or other veggie. Sprinkle a little cheese on top after heated, if you want. Yum.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I just chuck in some soy sauce, pepper and some peas and sweetcorn and have that for lunch a lot of the time
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Once it's a day old, fry with a teeny bit of oil, some green onions, chopped kimchee and a splash of soy sauce. Serve with egg on top. Can add chopped chicken, baked tofu etc etc to make more substantial...

This sounds delicious but not sure what kimchee is??

I have mixed my brown rice with red (Camargue) and wild rice (although technically not a rice), I think the different tastes and texture make it better. I have to admit though i do prefer it with some kind of sauce dish, even a a bit of spicy tomato sauce which isn't high in cals.

x
  • carey1986
    carey1986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a tablespoon or so of sweet chilli dipping sauce on mine... :)
  • beautyimthebeast
    Options
    Little bit sprinkle of creatine and qhey protein OH YEAH EVERYDAY IS UPPERBODY DAY
  • mikemckinlay
    mikemckinlay Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I stir in some vegetable boullion powder to the water when cooking which gives it a little bit of flavour but without piling on the calories.
  • maz2469
    maz2469 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump