what do you eat before an early morning workout?

Options
Wondering how people prepare for an early morning workout. I usually do a crossfit workout or a morning run, but I have not had luck. I feel either weak or like throwing up.

Replies

• blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Try eating a banana? I go to the gym at 6 every morning and could no more eat breakfast than fly there! However I do get more out of my workout if I haven't eaten. When I go mid-morning on Saturdays it's never so effective as I have had breakfast at 8.

As i don't eat beforehand, I do eat a banana as soon as I get in then my porridge or cereal once Im showered.

B x
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Half cup of orange juice. Sometimes (like this morning) one scoop of my protein powder mixed with water.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Nothing.
  • feelgoodnic
    feelgoodnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat a small banana. Sometimes I don't finish it but I find it very hard to exercise on a totally empty stomach. I always wake up hungry so it isn't difficult for me to eat in the morning!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I wake up at 5am and workout by 6am... that isn't enough time for me to digest anything. SOMETIMES if I'm starving I will eat 1/2 of a banana or a few almonds. Every one is different.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything, but I do keep some juice mixed with water on hand to compensate for the lack of food.
  • philo_be
    Options
    I usually have 2 slices of brown toast with a small amount of low fat butter and a cup of tea no sugar. Had this about 40 minutes before my work out, today was an hour cycling and some situps. Whilst training i consume a lucozade sport lite.

After the workout i have a protein shake, 60g mixed with water.

Another good pre work out food is some cereal with some fruit added to it. The cereal with give you some energy to burn and the fruits are good for vits that the body requires.

guess a lot depends on your metabolsim and weight.

i've tried training on an empty stomach and just felt sick and weak, so i need the boost before hand.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Nothing, makes me feel sick :sick:
  • mnb7v3
    mnb7v3 Posts: 21
    Options
    If I'm going for a long run (more than 6 miles) I'll have a plain toaster waffle.
    If an intense workout less than an hour, I'll have a few crackers with PB.
    If a short workout, then nothing. My stomach can't handle much before exercise. That's why I always work out first thing in the morning!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything if my workout is in the morning, I eat a well balanced breakfast after (depending on what the workout was).
  • tikal26
    Options
    I think I am good eating nothing with a running workout,but I do feel weak if I don't eat anything before crossfit. Intense short workout
  • beautyimthebeast
    Options
    Tons of rice 6 cups of boiled rice 1 portion of chicken (maybe 150 g)1 banana ,tons of water - 30 mins 6.5 mph treadmil lvl 0 , 10 minutes jumping ropes , 10 minutes row machine, 15 - 20 mins heavybag ( maximum intensity ) 100 abs crunch 20 side plank 20x3 sets of push ups no weights . And ANYONE HERE GOT ANY ADVICE HOW TO GET UNDERWEIGHT ?
  • Heather4nne
    Heather4nne Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I usually have something really light; 1 cup of Rice Krispies and 3/4 cup of soy milk, or a granola bar with some water, something like that. Don't want the stomach to be overloaded!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll have a banana or just a few gulps of juice. Sometimes I won't eat until after, if it's too early (before 6:30am).
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that not eating before a workout burns more fat so I try not to eat before I work out.
  • tikal26
    Options
    I keep on reading conflicting articles. I guess ill just go ith how I feel
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that not eating before a workout burns more fat so I try not to eat before I work out.

This is incorrect.

But, you don't have to eat before if you prefer not to. I only eat a banana before, otherwise I feel sick to my stomach the whole time. The days I work early and have to workout in the evening after eating all day, I can definitely feel the difference.

But it's really personal preference.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have one of my homemade granola/protein bars on the drive down to the gym. It's not too much that I'll be sick and just enough to give me a little bit of fuel.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Although if I'm thirsty I'll have a bit of water first. I usually eat after I work out.