My LDL Cholesterol is 285!!

Options
tkcasta
tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
:noway: I'm freaking out. I've been making all of these changes in my diet and this is what I hear from my doc. Though my doctor was very supportive, I'm still really upset. I have to completely overhaul my diet...I'm really sad that I'm at this point in my life. I'm really stressed and scared because I've made so many changes already and now I feel like I have to go to the extreme. All I ever hear is that you need some fat in your diet and my doc is suggesting that I do a very very low fat diet. I'm scared and I don't know what to do.

So anyone else with cholesterol issues I'd love to hear what you do in your diet or any great resources.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• Doctorcb
    Doctorcb Posts: 31
    Options
    Reduce your carbohydrates. Watch your saturated fats. Sometimes family history makes this terrible. Make sure your test was also fasting. You should recheck in 6 months. If still no improvement, you may need to consider medications. I have patients who are marathon runners on cholesterol, medications because of poor family history.
    Unfortunately, exercise and diet can only do so much!
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Reduce your carbohydrates. Watch your saturated fats. Sometimes family history makes this terrible. Make sure your test was also fasting. You should recheck in 6 months. If still no improvement, you may need to consider medications. I have patients who are marathon runners on cholesterol, medications because of poor family history.
    Unfortunately, exercise and diet can only do so much!

That's what my doc told me, yes it was fasting, she said the same thing about carbs and what not and I have an appt for 6 months from now. I just don't know what to do with the diet...there's just so much info out there...I'm really confused.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My mom has been on cholesterol meds for years. She has seen a lot of reduction since adding fish oil into her daily routine in the past year.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Stay away from all refined carbohydrate, starches, and added sugars.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and I am not by any means overweight 5' 120lbs but my cholesterol got out of hand. My dr. gave me the name of this great book written by drs. on this subject I don't have the name of it in front of me but it said to keep your saturated fat grams to 10 a day and that is basically what I did and it helped me loose wt. plus get my cholesterol under control. I would set your food guide to help you monitor sat fats.
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    So far everyone has offered very good advice. I am one of the unlucky ones who has the bad family history and I was put on meds for my bad cholesterol. Mine was 387 and in a month it dropped to 140! I also take fish oil to help with my HDL, I AVOID saturated fats (less then 5 grams a day at the most), I keep my calories at or under 1500 a day and carbs at or under 170g. I avoid as much simple carbs as possible.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    :noway: I'm freaking out. I've been making all of these changes in my diet and this is what I hear from my doc. Though my doctor was very supportive, I'm still really upset. I have to completely overhaul my diet...I'm really sad that I'm at this point in my life. I'm really stressed and scared because I've made so many changes already and now I feel like I have to go to the extreme. All I ever hear is that you need some fat in your diet and my doc is suggesting that I do a very very low fat diet. I'm scared and I don't know what to do.

So anyone else with cholesterol issues I'd love to hear what you do in your diet or any great resources.

Thanks guys.
    If you're on any meds certain ones can effect your numbers, even some over the counter ones.