DASH Diet

Options
Anyone tried it? It actually sounds doable.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    never heard of it
  • cdbjr2000
    cdbjr2000 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My doctor has recomended that I go on the DASH Diet. It stands for Dietary Approach To Stop Hypertension. I'm not on it yet. It looks like an all around good diet.
  • carpetbagger12000
    carpetbagger12000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do it.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I looked at it. to me it looks just like a eat better, move more, lifestyle change diet. I didn't buy the books and was disappointed I wasn't able to find much online but I didn't look too hard yet.

Do it. :)
  • joanneg572
    joanneg572 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Looks like you picked a winner!!!
    All the very best to you on your journey!
    "U.S. News evaluated and ranked 29 diets with input from a panel of health experts. To be top-rated, a diet had to be relatively easy to follow, nutritious, safe, and effective for weight loss and against diabetes and heart disease. The government-endorsed Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) snagged the top spot."
  • veronica341972
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight I would recommend Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live Diet..................I follow it loosely however since I do eat chicken...........THe Dash Diet states you can have I think 1500 mg of sodium daily but I find that following Eat to Live I eat much less than what they recommend. I follow the Eat To Live Diet and have lost 33 pounds since Nov. 4th of 2012 and have lowered my bp dramatically and off one of two medications and only taking small dose of another. By eating the way Dr. Furhman's states (your salad is the main meal) you may possibly lower your bp in a shorter amount of time.
  • lovegod0130
    Options
    Yeah. My doctor suggested the DASH Diet because of my high blood pressure. Started it January 8 and been losing a pound and a half to two pounds ever since. . . and that's without exercising. It's regular food (no tofu and hummus!) and the recipes are fast and easy. I have the book that has the menus for 4 weeks and recipes in it. Very easy to follow. It's very well balanced and so you don't crave anything and I never get hungry.
  • happyblueskies
    Options
    hi all started the dash diet in january 11 the first two weeks phase one is tough but do able you cut from your diet sugar milk grains and fruits and in phase 2 you can have it all back dr oz did a show on it on thuesday and explained it all at doctoroz.com i now at five or six weeks lol unsure and i am down 24lbs truely easy the phase one reset your body and then all the sugar cravings are gone yeah so truely it is more a lifestyle than a diet and it works great i would recommed it to all it was the nr 1 diet three years in a row and every body can follow it
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YES!!!, and this is the best one out there!
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just bought the book on EBay for less than $4.00 free shipping. Will try.
  • ladybellringerm
    Options
    I just finished the book and have made out my grocery list. Going on it in short order. We'll see how it works. I'm not fond of veggies, so this is going to be quite an adjustment, but if I want to see my kids get through college and started on their independent lives, I need to do something.
  • Betta2
    Betta2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cragain74
    Options
    Phase one dash diet question: my morning coffee, does anyone if there is restriction on non-dairy coffee creamer?
  • Roxmom66
    Roxmom66 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it too.
  • Neeti1021
    Neeti1021 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Me too. Anyone know if turkey bacon is allowed?
  • VTRita
    VTRita Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that non-dairy creamer is allowed from what I understand.

Turkey bacon is also allowed, you just have to count it as one of your protein servings.

I just started too.....is there a DASH forum on here? Maybe we should start one!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    It's basically a low fat diet focusing on whole foods while reducing red meat, salt, sugar, saturated fat, cholesterol etc. Basically the knee jerk reaction to obesity and over consumption. Too many rules for most people, but I don't see anything wrong per se other than fat intake might be unjustified. I guess they don't want to tempt anyone from the chances of overeating.
  • Irontri61
    Options
    I have the Dash Diet book and I like it.