where do these down days come from ?????

Options
I've been back on track now for just over 4 weeks and everything is going to plan so far (touch wood) i've lost more weight than i expected & i'm well on track with my eating & exercise & I am truly greatful that things are going so well. So why do i feel so down about it all today??? I can't stop thinking about how far i've still got to go, how long it's going to take and how stupid i was to let myself get so fat in the 1st place !!!

I've no intention of giving up on my goals but it feels like such a massive task that today i just want to sit down & cry.

Sorry for being such a mood hoover but i needed to get that off my chest.

Good luck to everyone x

Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    4 weeks huh? So about 28ish days? Could it be TOM? :-) Regardless, sorry you are feeling down, this weight loss getting healthy business is hard work! But you'll get through it and I'm sure you've had a lot more good days than bad so try and focus on those. Best of luck!!
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, we all have days like that. You are doing great. Could it be TOM? Maybe a wee walk outside of a wee bit or exercise might lift your mood. Don't get annoyed at yourself for putting weight on in the first place, it happens, be proud of what you are doing now :flowerforyou:
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I get that same way. I've actually been really down about my weight loss for the past week, ever since my husband hit his goal weight (in just 4 months). So now I have to deal with him having even more calories he can eat (since his allotment was always higher than mine) while I stare at another year of loss before I'll hit my goal weight. And that's before I even start considering that I might not even be able to hit my goal because my current lean body mass is right near that weight.

It sucks, and makes me want to just start cutting off body parts to lose that weight.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Me and a fair few of my friends have been feeling the same the last few days. I blame the change of season, and I've tried to do some positive things to help lift me out of the slump. Started 30 Day Shred again yesterday, made an appointment for some health checks, things like that. I do feel better today for having tackled a few things - just do a couple of easily achieved things and see how you feel afterwards :flowerforyou:
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    We all have 'em - I wish I knew where they come from! I go through periods of just feeling like it's insurmountable, this business of paying attention for the rest of my life, and it's all too much.

I've started builing in periods of "being on a break" - there's been some research that suggests it's pretty common to take a break, intentionally or not, so if you build the break in with intention, it feels less interminable and we're more likely to succceed. I try for every 6 weeks or so to just give myself some time off - mostly from exercise, because that's where I'm most likely to burn out.

That's also why it helps to have friends - to remind you that you're not alone in this, that it's normal to want to give up, and to remind you why you're doing this in the first place :)

Good luck! You can pull through this - just remember how much progress you've made, and how many days of feeling awesome for each new NSV you have ahead of you!
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I've been down the past few days too. I am just going by this advice: Try to stay positive! This morning, I keep telling myself "I WILL have a better day than yesterday." On that note, I think I am nearing my TOM too lol :tongue:
    You could make a list of what you have accomplished so far. You could make a list of the good things in your life too.
    :flowerforyou: Let's have a great day today :flowerforyou:
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I find I get really discouraged on cloudy days. Recognizing that sometimes helps. I also use full spectrum light bulbs to provide extra "sunlight" during winter months. They really help. And exercise does help, even though it is hard to motivate on those days. Keep it up, you are doing great.
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i feel the exact same some days but then i realise how good am gonna look when I've lost all this fat and toned up :)
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya sister. I woke up this morning and just felt like crying. Yesterday I was so excited because I'm down another size, but then I realized this morning that yeah, I'm thinning down a lot but the toned and sexy look I REALLY want to have is probably going to take at least another year's worth of work. And I'm tired. And I wonder if it's worth it, even though I know deep down inside that it is.

I need a hug :sad:
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    For me. days like that happen when I'm tired. If I sleep really badly the night before I really feel yacky and just crave crap food. You just have to get through it I suppose. It's something I'm still trying to work through myself and I've been at this for 7 months now. It took me a long time to get fat though, so I expect it will take me a long time to begin dealing with my emotions without food. Just take a day at a time and be nice to yourself. Your doing brilliant!
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I had this over the past weekend...it lasted 4 days. I keep a journal of all my accomplishments and went back and read them ALL but all my brain wanted to tell me was "I sucked at this". As of yesterday(Wednesday) it had passed. These quotes seemed to sum up those four days for me...."Challenge is life's way of making sure that you truly desire the things you achieve" & “It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” ~Sir Edmund Hillary. Hope they help you as much as they did me...these days will come to pass...good job on everything you have accomplished so far!!!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    that's the low sugar intake my friends, makes you feel like that
    Interesting article
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_sugar.php
  • angiebirdie
    angiebirdie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I feel that way sometimes too. Like you said, how did I let myself get that way? We just have to focus on the future instead of the past, and learn from it!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    that's the low sugar intake my friends, makes you feel like that
    Interesting article
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_sugar.php

How do you know what we're all eating? Are you in my kitchen? :grumble:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    When I create too big of a calorie deficit I get like that.

When I screw up my fat/protein ratio I get like that (still trying to figure all that out).

I suspect some preservatives cause it.

I know my allergies put me in a horrible, depressed, apathetic mood. Too bad I suffer from them almost year round and I'm moving away from here ASAP!

TOM can do it. Including sometimes middle of the month. Which took me forever to figure out.

Not enough sleep will do it.

Fatigue from over exercise and not enough sleep will definitely do it.

I'm sure there are other causes I haven't figured out yet, but now that I know most of them are physical and not a mental problem, I will get on top of it and eliminate those triggers as assiduously as I've eliminated my binge and excess hunger triggers. Okay, except the monthly cycle thing. Not much I can do about that one.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    DON'T WORRY....... BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I wanted to come back and say THANK YOU for posting this. It has helped me so much already today. Also, if you can't get outside take some Vitamin D. And what is helping me today is dusting pictures/ furniture, changing the table cloth, cleaning things I don't usually clean. Heck, I might even paint the living room tonight. Sometimes our surroundings need a little facelift to make us feel better! Thanks again for posting! :smile:
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support & great advice guys and hugs to everone whos having one of those days with me.

I don't know why it's gotten to me so much today, could be that i didn't sleep well i suppose. I think it's probobly a combination of things (long hours at work/lack of sleep etc) not to mention i've been dieting on & off for several years i'm working out really hard at the minute and my partner suffers from depression so isn't always able to give me the support he'd like to which i understand completely but it doesn't make things any easier. I suppose i should be glad that i seem to have willpower in spades so i normally manage to keep up the healthy lifestyle even when im feeling down, i'm determined not to go back to where i was. I hear ya on the breaks too i tend to have a week off (ish) when we go on our hols & eat what i want within reason so long as i dont gain weight.

I guess your right on the getting fat thing too. I know it was my fault i got so big because no matter what it was me that ate to much and did no exercise. But i can't change the past so theres no point dwelling on it and making myself feel any worse.

Hopefully this time next year we will all be at or nearly at our goals and the world will seem like a much happier place.

Good luck to all of you x
  • shytrevoak
    shytrevoak Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There are tons of these that are causing my down days of late. Great info!
    When I create too big of a calorie deficit I get like that.

When I screw up my fat/protein ratio I get like that (still trying to figure all that out).

I suspect some preservatives cause it.

I know my allergies put me in a horrible, depressed, apathetic mood. Too bad I suffer from them almost year round and I'm moving away from here ASAP!

TOM can do it. Including sometimes middle of the month. Which took me forever to figure out.

Not enough sleep will do it.

Fatigue from over exercise and not enough sleep will definitely do it.

I'm sure there are other causes I haven't figured out yet, but now that I know most of them are physical and not a mental problem, I will get on top of it and eliminate those triggers as assiduously as I've eliminated my binge and excess hunger triggers. Okay, except the monthly cycle thing. Not much I can do about that one.
  • kimmyrn42
    Options
    This must be the downer day...woke up this morning and KNEW it was gonna be "one of those days". I agree...I think the weather definitely plays into it...at least for me...haven't seen the sun in days.