Alcohol

Options
I LOVE me some alcohol. I can't seem to cut down much on it. I enjoy light beer, so I can give in there, but that's about all I have the will power for.

Any help? Suggestions?

:drinker:

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    LOL! I feel your pain! :drinker: Best advice I can give (and it sounds silly it's so simple) is just remember it's not your last chance to drink and you'll have the chance to drink alcohol again. That helps me cut down, simply reminding myself I'm not turning it down forever. (Alcohol, chocolate, and anything else!)
  • Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Options
    I hear ya! I used to have a very high stress job and got in the habit of drinking a bottle of wine every night some time ago... I have switched to light beer now, and I keep track of each one and log it in my food dairy. It helps when you see the total amount of calories at the end of the day and think to yourself "Do I really want THAT much of my day's calories coming from booze???" It helped put things into perspective for me. I also heard that alcohol slows your metabolism and makes the weight loss a lot slower.... And that's about all I have for you. Good-luck! :drinker:
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I usually have a cocktail every evening. More than a few on the weekends. I quit about 8 days ago (got a bet with another MFP'er). I have lost almost 4 lbs in those 8 days after having been plateaued for almost a month.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    This is my problem as well. I disagree with the previous post suggesting you have to give it up even temporarily. But I also agree with the other post that cutting it out will probably dramatically effect your results if you drink often enough. I suppose it depends on what you drink and how often.
  • Candlelite89
    Options
    If I drink... I try to drink a flavored water, like Crystal light and a flavored vodka. The water is 0 calories and the vodka is usually somewhere around 64 calories a shot. I know it sounds kinda weird, water and vodka but it's actually really good. I play ALOT of beer pong and drinking that instead of beer during the game gets me feeling good after like 2 games. =] My favorite mix is Great Value (Wal-Mart) Grape Drink and Smirnoff Blueberry Vodka. Give it a try! Super yummy.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Alcohol just doesn't work with or for me, weight loss-wise. I always end up gaining when I drink. Our bodies are made to burn alcohol first above everything else, so until your body burns the alcohol, the fat is just sitting there waiting for its turn. So I'm trying to only drink maybe one LOW alcohol volume drink every couple-few weeks.
  • beckybernardo
    beckybernardo Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ive switched to the Bud select 55. That way i can have two beers compaired to one and the taste isn't that bad. Hope that helps. Good luck
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    I'm loosing 2 to 3 lbs. a week and when I have my light beer from miller I have more than one,sometimes a lot more.Anyway I make sure that I log all of them and make sure I don't go over on my calories,I work out five days a week so that gives me more cals.I had to make sure that I wasn't eating after drinking(which was probably what got me here to begin with),sometimes it gets tough but you have to be strong,can't have your cake and eat it to,but you can have your light beers and drink them to!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :wink: :happy:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    My favorite mix is Great Value (Wal-Mart) Grape Drink and Smirnoff Blueberry Vodka. Give it a try! Super yummy.

Yummm, that sounds good! :bigsmile:
  • ashehoff
    ashehoff Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks Boater- I'm glad I'm not the only one that has that funny mind set when I drink, good advice.

That sounds delicious Candlelite! I will probably try that, thanks!

I kind of want to quit all together (temporarily of course!) for a short period of time- just to see if I could do it... I have problems with will power :embarassed: and I LOVE to drink with friends, though. Maybe I can get my boyfriend to bet me- see who can go the longest without drinking.

Thank you everyone!
  • hymiesmom
    hymiesmom Posts: 76
    Options
    I do citrus vodka with setzer water, (for the bubbles, but plain water works too) SPLASH of cranberry with a squeeze of lime. It's a "skinny cape cod"! Not to mention I'm hydrating while I'm drinkin'...now that's what I call efficient!!!
  • MandyMay
    MandyMay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ive been consistently lossing weight since ive started...and drink every weekend...I drink rum that has 70 calories per large shot...and diet pepsi.Ive also heard that alcohol slows your metabolism up to 4hrs...:flowerforyou:
  • ashehoff
    Options
    I guess it's all about balance. I have a problem with pairing eating and drinking. It's like I get the munchies, haha. The drink suggestions are great!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Ive switched to the Bud select 55. That way i can have two beers compaired to one and the taste isn't that bad. Hope that helps. Good luck

"And the taste ISN'T THAT BAD"?

I don't get it. Why drink something you don't like?
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes please.... Oh sorry : goes back up to read:

I'd go for diet soda and rum. Captain Morgan is my favorite.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Single shot Vodka (25ml) and Sprite Zero on the rocks (like 54 calories).
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree for going with a simple spirit - vodka, rum, gin etc with a sugar-free mixer to cut calories down.

If it is more social drinking, you could try alternating your drinks ie 1 alcoholic, 1 diet coke or water and repeat so that you drink less in total.

I definitely wouldn't agree that you 'have to remind yourself it is temporary'. The problem is that once you have lost the weight if you go back to exactly what you were doing in the first place you will just gain it all back. So try to pick a solution that you think is realistic and obtainable for you.

Also (dietitian in me coming out here) remember that if you are getting loads of empty calories from alcohol - especially if you are trying to restrict calories already - that you are missing out nutritionally somewhere else.

Goodluck!
  • caro0301
    caro0301 Posts: 8
    Options
    Oh god...drinking is definitely the ONE thing (even over food) that I just can't give up! Being that some call alcohol "liquid fat", I started drinking a low cal drink-- Vodka (ketel one)/ Soda with lotsssss of squeezed lime!! I find it does exactly what it's supposed to do and at roughly 65 calories you can't go wrong!! I still can go to happy hour with friends and enjoy that time without ruining everything!!
  • ashehoff
    Options

"And the taste ISN'T THAT BAD"?

I don't get it. Why drink something you don't like?

To get drunk
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    "Remember that if you are getting loads of empty calories from alcohol - especially if you are trying to restrict calories already - that you are missing out nutritionally somewhere else."::huh:
    To above comment - OK :indifferent: - BUT- if you are happy does it really matter?:drinker: !!!! !
    It is possible to plan & factor alcohol calories into day - esp. when I know in advance of something coming up!
    No guilt , no worries and you keep the lifestyle which does not make you avoid friends & (important) social events.:drinker:

Another thought to rememebr " if momma ain't happy....no one is"!:flowerforyou: