Which calorie-counter pls? Cheap but effective.

Options
I need a calorie counter that I can use when exercising so I don't rely on the database here. What has prompted this decision is when I used my elliptical and the machine reading was lower than what MFP calculated for me.

I tend to eat some (if not all) of my exercise calories eek!!

I may be restarting Insanity next week :wink: Not too expensive please. Thank you.

Replies

• TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit One, $99. It counts steps, calories burned, floors climbed, miles walked, and monitors sleep. I have been told it doesnt work well with ellipticals or exercise bikes, but I clip it to my shoe lace when on the bike and it works just fine for me. I try not to eat my exercise calories just in case it is wrong.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? If you are in the US amazon.com tends to have great prices on heart rate monitors. I love my Polar FT7.

If you go for a heart rate monitor make sure you get one with a chest strap and one that allows you to enter your age, sex, weight and height for the most accurate burn reading.

Mine has been such an amazing addition.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? If you are in the US amazon.com tends to have great prices on heart rate monitors. I love my Polar FT7.

London, UK :heart: I'll check out amazon.co.uk here, thanks.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options

London, UK :heart: I'll check out amazon.co.uk here, thanks.

I got mine from ebay brand new for £55.00 BARGAIN!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    i never could afford one. I just go by the machines always and its worked for me
  • mlkiel
    mlkiel Posts: 91
    Options
    I have the Polar F7 and :heart: it....GREAT investment!!
  • kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I also use a Polar HRM and love it! My husband has the polar FT60, approx $130 US on Amazon and I have a FT40 and it was around $100 US on Amazon. The FT4 & 7 have a few less features (training analysis tools) but they'd still be great to have for calorie measurement.
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Microfiber
    Options
    i never could afford one. I just go by the machines always and its worked for me

I need it for when I'm not on the elliptical like 30 day shred, Tae Bo, Kettlebell workout etc
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

I need it for when I'm not on the elliptical like 30 day shred, Tae Bo, Kettlebell workout etc

Search online and any local fitness stores around you.

While the machines can help by giving you a calorie count I find they are not very accurate. My elliptical says I burn at least a hundred calories more than what my HRM says.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bump and save for later :)
  • krebsi
    krebsi Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Suunto! i love mine!

i have the Suunto M4, around 75£
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4, if you go onto bodytronics.com, they have them for cheaper than at the stores. I also have a fitbit, but the Polar is best at being more accurate when it comes to working out. The fitbit is great for casual everyday wear.
  • Microfiber
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll look into all the suggestions :smile: