Honda Fit or Kia Soul

Options
llstrength
llstrength Posts: 44 Member
Ok. I need some opinions from everyone! My husband and I are buying a new car. We have one child and will probably have one more in the next 5 years or so. We test drove the Honda fit on Tuesday and loved it. It looks so small, but the inside is actually pretty roomy. I could easily get two car seats in there. My husband didn't like it at all until he saw it. He really likes the Kia Soul, but I've heard so many bad things about it! We're test driving it today. We'll have it paid off in three years, and then we'll trade our other car in and probably go bigger depending on what we're thinking on the kid front. :smile:

Anyone have any good or bad reviews for either of these cars?

Replies

• amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a Soul and I LOVE it and a co-worker of mine just got one as well and loves hers. I have the 2U she has the 4U. I've never tried the Fit but I have no complaints about the Soul :)
  • whitehairedguy64
    Options
    My job depends upon the health of American Industry so I buy American made products from American owned companies whenever possible. I encourage you to do the same. Ford has great new and small fuel efficient cars. Government Motors (GM) has some good choices as does Chrysler. Have you seen the new Dodge Dart?? Great new car!

As one who has business dealings with Koreans, and competes against Korean products, I would not purchase anything made in Korea or by a Korean Company even with a gun put to my head. No how, no way. Samsung, LGB, Kia, Hyundi...nope, never...........

I have very mixed feelings about Honda. It is a Japanese owned company therefore the profit goes over there and they get tax breaks over here, but they do have major manufacturing facilities in the US so they do employ a large number of American workers, and they do purchase equipment from the company I work for. Toyota does the same thing.

Based upon supporting an American employer, American Industry, and American workers, my choice would be a Honda if you must have a "foreign" car, but my real first preference would be an American owned, American made car, and Ford, Chrysler and GM would be at the top of my list. Check 'em out. Bet you'll find something you like.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd buy a fit ... 80% of it is because I'm Japanese. The rest of the 20%:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/karl/2010/02/comparison-test-honda-fit-vs-kia-soul-vs-nissan-cube.html

I used Edmunds to help me pick my new car last year.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Always had Hondas, never had trouble, never heard neither... Kia? Hope they got better, I dated a mechanic (not dealer) and there was always problems with Kias, Hyundais, Pontiac....
    Kia belongs to Hyundai? Right?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about either of those, but do your research on some automotive sites (not a fitness site).

Read customer reviews from people who own those vehicles! My husband is a research nut about stuff like that, and he talked me out of two vehicles I really thought I wanted because of the problems people were having with them...
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Kia belongs to Hyundai? Right?

Correct Hyundai owns Kia
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    Based upon supporting an American employer, American Industry, and American workers, my choice would be a Honda if you must have a "foreign" car, but my real first preference would be an American owned, American made car, and Ford, Chrysler and GM would be at the top of my list. Check 'em out. Bet you'll find something you like.
    You do realize that Chrysler is owned by Fiat, right? Its not "American owned", and really hasn't been for a long time.

I could go on and on about how the global supply chain really works, and the tricks that companies like GM play to call the parts in their vehicles "American made". but it probably won't change anyone's perception anyway....
  • llstrength
    llstrength Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about either of those, but do your research on some automotive sites (not a fitness site).

We are doing research on automotive sites. I was just wondering what other people thought also. We aren't just buying a car based on what other MFP users say.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Between the two that you are looking at, KIA all day long.
    Honda makes a fantastic vehicle but, in the last few years, KIA (and Hyundai) have really stepped up to the plate.
    And with the 10 year 100K warantee, how can you go wrong?
    Granted, neither one of them are going to drive like an Accord, Optima, or Malibu but, you pay for what you get.
    and I do believe the KIA has more storage in the luggage compartment which comes in handy with all of the baby stuff.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have a 2010 Fit (base model) and am in total love with my car. The Fit always tops Consumer Reports rankings for safety, I average about 34 mpg between street and highway, the car is comfy, very spacious, etc. I LOVE it. Best car I've ever had.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I bought a Kia Soul in Sept 2011, I will admit I really wanted a Jeep again, but with the distance I drive to work I needed a fuel efficient vehicle and I wanted something a little bigger than the Fit, Fusion, ect. I test drove the Soul and loved it. I get great gas mileage (28 mpg city driving) and when I was rear ended last January (only had the car for almost four months at the time) by a F250 I was not injured in any way and the damage done to the car did no frame damage (the auto body place said that was the one really great thing about Kia all the parts are attached to the frame of the car by rails so the frame is more protected from damage-I'm sure there are cases where the damage can destroy the frame, but in this case, getting hit by a large, heavy truck at 30mph, when I was at a complete stop, the damage could've been alot worse than it was) I had it checked by the mechanic at Kia after the repairs were done and they agreed that there was no frame damage.
  • whitehairedguy64
    Options
    Hellbent_Heidi

Chrysler is not owned by Fiat. Fiat has a 20% ownership in Chrysler. There are others in the ownership mix including the UAW, and I'm not sure how much stake the government still has due to the bailout. Chrysler was previously by Damlier Benz but prior to that was a US owned company.

The point is, Chrysler is on American soil, with at least a portion of US ownership, employs US workers, and does built cars in the US. True, there is foreign content in all cars, parts and in some cases, labor. I would prefer a Chrysler that is assembled in Ontario, to a car manufactured by a non-US owned company.

Incidently, the Dodge Ram pickup is made in Sterling Heights, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. In addition, Chrysler assembles cars in other US plants including Belvidere, IL.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    Hellbent_Heidi

Chrysler is not owned by Fiat. Fiat has a 20% ownership in Chrysler. There are others in the ownership mix including the UAW, and I'm not sure how much stake the government still has due to the bailout. Chrysler was previously by Damlier Benz but prior to that was a US owned company.

The point is, Chrysler is on American soil, with at least a portion of US ownership, employs US workers, and does built cars in the US. True, there is foreign content in all cars, parts and in some cases, labor. I would prefer a Chrysler that is assembled in Ontario, to a car manufactured by a non-US owned company.

Incidently, the Dodge Ram pickup is made in Sterling Heights, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. In addition, Chrysler assembles cars in other US plants including Belvidere, IL.
    While I'm not interested in hi-jacking the OP's thread...I live in metro Detroit and work in the auto industry and am exposed to the "American made car" misconceptions all the time. Many people fail to realize that EVERY automaker employs Americans and contribute to the US economy...and many of the OEM's that people are so against are actually keeping American Tier 2 and Tier 3 auto suppliers in business. I just really hate to see people being bullied into thinking they shouldn't buy what they want , because its somehow wrong for the US economy.

FYI...The Dodge Ram is currently built at the Saltillo Truck Assembly in Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico as well as the Warren Truck Assembly in Michigan, The attached article shows locations of assembly plants in all of North America.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/a-graphic-representation-of-whats-really-made-in-america-feature
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I love my honda insight! Same frame as a fit, but mine is hybrid!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I'd rather pull my kids in a wagon than either of those but if I had to choose, I'd go with the KIA.
  • whitehairedguy64
    Options
    Heidi, not disagreeing with any of what you said. My concern beside employing American workers and contributing to the economy is where do the profits and tax dollars go? I agree it is a complex industry with both American and foreign suppliers to auto industry. I've dealt with those folks as well. My goal is supporting American Industry and workers to the fullest extent possible by purchasing American Made products. Before I purchase something I check the label for where it's made, doesn't matter if it's a AA cell battery or a refrigerator. I'll pay more if I have to for an American made product.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you are a ginger go Kia Soul
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Honda, always honda.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Honda all the way. Personally I would never buy a Kia. A friend of mine has owned her Fit for a few years now and absolutely loves it. Our saying is everything fits in the Fit! It's amazing how small it looks but how much you can fit in it! Good luck on your decision making!