consuming 1600 calories and burning 1600 calories a day.

Options
No, I am not burning 1600 calories, but im just interested. What would happen if i ate 1600 calories a day and burnt the same amount? it doesn teven have to be 1600 cals. I mean the people who eat 1200 calories could also do the same, what would happen to my body, my weight loss, etc?

oh ya i know its possible to burn 1600 calories a day. if you do taebo or run on a treadmill for an hour in the morning you can burn around 600 calories for an hour, so if you can do it twice a day, that is 1200 calories, add to that 30 minutes of any of Jillian Michaels DVDs morning and night and you have 1600 calories a day burnt. :bigsmile:

Replies

• LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Dont know but......I wish I had time to try ;)
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    it would be as if you were to just not eat anything all day, except i presume you would probably do some extra damage because your muscles would tear and not be able to repair themselves. if i tried to do that i'd probably pass out lol
  • nerchk
    nerchk Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    it would be as if you were to just not eat anything all day, except i presume you would probably do some extra damage because your muscles would tear and not be able to repair themselves. if i tried to do that i'd probably pass out lol

So what if it was a mild workout. People who work as waitresses and still make time for gym. a lady here once said, she is a waitress, literally runs the whole day and burns about 1000 calories before her real workout. What about builders, or even cleaners, im assuming it would take a lot out of you. how come thier muscles are still in tact.

I used to walk 3 hours a day as a student. that was only to and from varsity and the whole day we would be running from one class to another. I only had dinner. ussually rice with veggies carrots and green beans. I did this because i was poor, i didnt have a choice.

After 2 weeks of doing this all my clothes didnt fit me no more. It wasnt a choice and i didnt have weight issues then. But i probably burnt a lot of calories. This went on for 2 years of my varsity life.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Things like walking to and from class and waitressing are different than an intense, dedicated workout. your body becomes more used to them, and those activities are accounted for in your BMR. If you're eating 1200 calories and burning 1200 calories through exercise, you won't be able to sustain it because that leaves nothing for your body to live on. Your body is burning an extra 1300+ calories just to live.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It's called starvation. Muscles break down, etc.
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can actually go into starvation mode this way. You'd break down muscle tissue (yes even just from mild/low intensity exercise) and burn some fat initially, but then would stall, or even gain some weight. This is why they say you should NET a minimum of 1200 cals, to make up for what your body burns just living/breathing/etc. It's far healthier and effective to eat say 1600 calories a day, and burn off 400, or eat 2000 a day and burn off 600. Just net between 1200 and 1500 (what you get from eating minus exercise) to keep your metabolism revved while still being healthy and losing weight.

Best tip -- eat the healthy amount calories of what you would be eating at your goal weight, with the right amount of exercise calculated in to. Your body will adjust without breaking down muscle tissue, going into starvation mode, etc.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This is what interests me. Since I had surgery I only consume 800-1000 calories a day. Most days I burn off over 1,000 calories as I do over 15,000 steps and 20 flights of stairs.

If I go to the gym I do have a protein bar half an hour before and I protein shake after so my calories are higher, I know my muscles need the protein to recover.

I do feel ok though and am 'only' losing 2 pounds a week. This has been the case for 6 months now so perhaps your body just gets used to it???

I am not promoting a VLC diet as my skin and hair has suffered as a result of it and my aim is to up my calories with more healthy food not eat less. I just find it strange the way bodies work.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    You'd be hungry!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

So what if it was a mild workout. People who work as waitresses and still make time for gym. a lady here once said, she is a waitress, literally runs the whole day and burns about 1000 calories before her real workout. What about builders, or even cleaners, im assuming it would take a lot out of you. how come thier muscles are still in tact.

I used to walk 3 hours a day as a student. that was only to and from varsity and the whole day we would be running from one class to another. I only had dinner. ussually rice with veggies carrots and green beans. I did this because i was poor, i didnt have a choice.

After 2 weeks of doing this all my clothes didnt fit me no more. It wasnt a choice and i didnt have weight issues then. But i probably burnt a lot of calories. This went on for 2 years of my varsity life.

they should be eating back those calories instead of netting 0. calm down.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think you're overestimating the Jillian DVD burn. If I do 30DS (it's actually only 20 minutes), I burn about 120 calories
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,214 Member
    Options
    In the absolute sense, since you are eating at a deficit already you are burning more calories than you eat already every single day. This however would be taking a reasonable deficit and making it a massive one, this will be counter productive in the long term, and for many people in the short term as well. It will result in muscle loss, and in the long term various hormonal adaptations that will result in you putting fat on much easier which would leave your body with less muscle and more fat than when you started.