Diet Soda

Options
Junisahn
Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
I never drink soda, but have had a real craving for it today and am wondering what the prevailing wisdom is about diet sodas. I used to drink them all the time, but it just feels wrong to me for some reason. Would love anyone's input.

These are my current concerns about having diet soda:
1. I breastfeed, and don't know how much is okay to have in a day.
2. I'm afraid diet soda causes you to hold onto water weight or causes bloating.
3. I vaguely remember studies that say that diet soda can impinge weight loss.

Comments?

Replies

• mythicals
    mythicals Posts: 70
    Options
    I've heard it's just as bad as regular soda. The word "diet" doesn't make it any better.
    I have sparkling apple cider whenever I'm craving soda. It's healthier.
  • Erin_robinson
    Options
    I drink possibly 4 liters a day of that tasty stuff! Its a curse. I have heard the same things you have, and I believe they are true. I breastfeed as well, and know I should be drinking less of it, but here's what my doc told me...

Have no more than 200mg of caffeinated drinks per day. In one 12oz can of Diet Pepsi, there are 36mg I believe. Diet soda is great tasting, but full of artificial sweeteners and chemicals, which of course are hard on the body.

But, I am the wrong one to tell you NOT to drink em up, since I have yet to kick the habit.

I think one rule holds true for all things: Too much of ANYTHING is not good for you.

Good Luck!
  • bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If it was just a craving then I wouldn't sweat it too much. I used to drink soda and now when I try it doesn't even taste good. Makes me wonder why I was so into it. Enjoy it then get back to what you've been doing.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I have one can a day.

Way I look at it, if that is waht keeps me from drinking real soda then that's what I'll have.

Consuming more calories than you need makes you gain, (or not lose) weight. Not Diet Soda. Those studies essentially say a greater percantage of diet soda drinkers are over weight.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessarily as "bad for you" as regular... it's different.
    Check this out...
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080210183902.htm

One isn't the end all be all BUT it's something to consider.

:drinker:
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Consuming more calories than you need makes you gain, (or not lose) weight. Not Diet Soda. Those studies essentially say a greater percantage of diet soda drinkers are over weight.

I agree 100% maybe 1000% with the above statement. :)

And if it makes you "hold water weight" it isn't a true weight gain/loss and is resolved easy enough by downing extra water.
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. You're right - it's not like I'm going to drink 2 liters a day - a diet soda now and then isn't a big deal. The craving has passed, but I might grab some for this weekend, si8nce we're having company and it will be nice to have something with more flavor and fizz to drink when everyone else is drinking booze (I don't drink, so at least I don't have to worry about all those calories!)

The calories in/calories out makes sense to me - I didn't really get how diet soda could contribute to weight gain...
  • UFOGal
    UFOGal Posts: 4
    Options
    The problem with diet soda is the aspartame in them. There lot studies indicating that the stuff is awful for you. I got tell you personally since cut it out of my diet. I've felt a lot less hungery, craving a lot less sweets and carbs. I've had almost 70% less mystery headaches. I know it's not the caffeine I switched to teas with full octane (ie caffeinated). It wasn't easy to quit but very glad I did.

The few times I crave soda I will sip on a club soda if I am having a poor pocket book week, Perri water if it's good pocket book week.

Good Luck,

UFOGal