I get freezing after a hard workout?

Options
Ok so everytime I work out lately I get like, frozen. Feels like I'm taking a bath in snow. I'm 340+ pounds working out pretty hard, I just worked out for almost 2 hours today burning 2k+ calories from exercise alone. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I got some ideas?

Is it my diet? Do I lack energy for the workout from this?

I have no idea how many calories I'm eating daily. I could be eating below 1k for all I know, or over 2k. Should I start counting? If I'm counting, how much should I be looking to eat? I do NOT want to eat back my deficit, idk, even if losing weight too fast is "bad for you" I'm still going to do it. I'm addicted to exercising.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You should be tracking your calorie intake but I'm 115 lbs and I'm always freezing after a long run, even in the heat of summer. Not sure what it is but it happens to a lot of people.
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    You should be tracking your calorie intake but I'm 115 lbs and I'm always freezing after a long run, even in the heat of summer. Not sure what it is but it happens to a lot of people.

Hmm.... I just want to avoid it, I never had this happen before until lately.

I guess I'll start tracking my calories.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Is it my diet? Do I lack energy for the workout from this?

Yes. And yes

Bonus tip. There's no reason you need to be working out for 2 hours and burning 2k in calories. Eat a bit more, work out a bit less. This ain't a race
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    If you have not, I suggest checking with a doctor and making sure you are cleared for strenuous cardio. At varying weights, it can be difficult for your heart, lungs, and other internal organs to put up with the stress you're putting them through. Best to get a physical and make sure you are doing the best for yourself before you cause yourself unnecessary stress and worry.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I do NOT want to eat back my deficit, idk, even if losing weight too fast is "bad for you" I'm still going to do it. I'm addicted to exercising.

I wanted to isolate this statement to address this one issue - why do you think most diets fail? Because people are too eager to lose weight fast and not stick to a plan. They want to lose weight right now, for this wedding, for this beach party -- but they don't think about the long term, which is what really matters. Sure, you could eat the bare minimum and maybe reach your goal, but you would lose muscle mass in the meantime, preventing your body from burning calories at rest and messing up your hormones and metabolism, which means you will inevitably gain any weight immediately back once you return to normal eating patterns. Such is the crux of fad dieting -- being caught in the extremes. Once you break the cycle, realize weight loss isn't magic, it's just consistency, and to persevere and continue on a healthier path, you'll see results.

If you're just looking for the quick fix, it won't work out very well. I think most of us have been there, done that -- via diet pills, crash diets, etc. I wish it were that easy, but it's not. It means making your own meals, planning your food, preparing your own food, and taking responsibility for what you put in your face. No, it's not easy, but that is the right answer. You can do it, but make it about you in the long-term, not the short-term. You're more important than an afterthought.
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    I do NOT want to eat back my deficit, idk, even if losing weight too fast is "bad for you" I'm still going to do it. I'm addicted to exercising.

I wanted to isolate this statement to address this one issue - why do you think most diets fail? Because people are too eager to lose weight fast and not stick to a plan. They want to lose weight right now, for this wedding, for this beach party -- but they don't think about the long term, which is what really matters. Sure, you could eat the bare minimum and maybe reach your goal, but you would lose muscle mass in the meantime, preventing your body from burning calories at rest and messing up your hormones and metabolism, which means you will inevitably gain any weight immediately back once you return to normal eating patterns. Such is the crux of fad dieting -- being caught in the extremes. Once you break the cycle, realize weight loss isn't magic, it's just consistency, and to persevere and continue on a healthier path, you'll see results.

If you're just looking for the quick fix, it won't work out very well. I think most of us have been there, done that -- via diet pills, crash diets, etc. I wish it were that easy, but it's not. It means making your own meals, planning your food, preparing your own food, and taking responsibility for what you put in your face. No, it's not easy, but that is the right answer. You can do it, but make it about you in the long-term, not the short-term. You're more important than an afterthought.

I know it's not a realistic way to go about it, but I still think I can pull it off. I don't plan on losing it all and going back to the way I was. I plan on maintaining with fitness and such, maybe focus on building alot of good muscle. The thing for me though, is that it is a race. I don't want to do less then I know I can do. I got nothing to do all day except be on the computer and workout. I know that I'm a strong individual capable of this fitness rate.Also would like to point out I see a doctor/therapist every week so I'm in good hands.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Whenever i exercise and work up a sweat, I'm initially hot and sweaty. Then, after i dry off, i get the chills easily.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Whenever i exercise and work up a sweat, I'm initially hot and sweaty. Then, after i dry off, i get the chills easily.

That's normal :wink:
  • DavPul
    Options
    I know it's not a realistic way to go about it, but I still think I can pull it off. I don't plan on losing it all and going back to the way I was. I plan on maintaining with fitness and such, maybe focus on building alot of good muscle. The thing for me though, is that it is a race. I don't want to do less then I know I can do. I got nothing to do all day except be on the computer and workout. I know that I'm a strong individual capable of this fitness rate.Also would like to point out I see a doctor/therapist every week so I'm in good hands.

Yours is a plan that will fail. You're getting good advice from people who have been where you are and figured out how to make this weight loss thing work. You can listen....or you can set yourself up for failure. Your freezing cold body is already telling you that something is amiss. If you won't listen to experienced people and won't listen to your body, what difference does it make if you see your doctor on the regular? You won't listen to him either. Heck, you said yourself this is unrealistic. You aren't even listening to yourself.
  • DexterDarko
    Options

Yours is a plan that will fail. You're getting good advice from people who have been where you are and figured out how to make this weight loss thing work. You can listen....or you can set yourself up for failure. Your freezing cold body is already telling you that something is amiss. If you won't listen to experienced people and won't listen to your body, what difference does it make if you see your doctor on the regular? You won't listen to him either. Heck, you said yourself this is unrealistic. You aren't even listening to yourself.

How am I setting myself up for failure? I know it's unrealistic, but it's not impossible. It's been done. I don't really feel like doing less then I know I can do.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    If you don't eat your exercise calories back your body will be underfuelled, so you will get cold/shaky/muscles will be a bit rubbish

That said, I get a bit chilly after big workouts, so I always have loads of layers to hand to pile on afterwards
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The thing that works for me is jumping into a warm shower soon afterwards, i tend to get cold because your soacked through sweat,
    Think of how you feel when you just get out of a shower and its chilly!

Also defiantly count your calories, you could even be over eating and in that case the exercise may not be enough if you are trying to loose weight. Also make sure you are tracking your calories burnt when you exercise accurately :) you don’t want to be starving yourself either!!
  • Fox_Trot
    Options
    I also feel major chills after a good workout. My PT told me that sweat continues to evaporate to cool your body even though you’ve stopped exercising. Sweat alone does not cool the body, but the evaporation of sweat does as well. So after your workout hop into a hot shower and 'cool off' in the shower for a few minutes. Put on warm clean clothes when you are done. Also keep drinking water to replenish lost fluids because low sugar and deghydration can add to the chills. I always carry a banana with me and if I have a long way to travel after a workout then I buy a tea or coffee to help keep warm ;-)
  • DavPul
    Options

How am I setting myself up for failure? I know it's unrealistic, but it's not impossible. It's been done. I don't really feel like doing less then I know I can do.

You've got at least 100 pounds to lose. Your current pace cannot be maintained for as long as that will take. There are 300,000 references as to why your plan is not a good way to do it on this site. There are 3,000,000 references on the web saying the same thing.

Go ahead and try it your way. I'm going to go have some pancakes
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    . I'm going to go have some pancakes

Lol :laugh:
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. It's just from you working hard and your body goes into automatic cool down to regulate your body heat again.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options

You've got at least 100 pounds to lose. Your current pace cannot be maintained for as long as that will take. There are 300,000 references as to why your plan is not a good way to do it on this site. There are 3,000,000 references on the web saying the same thing.

Go ahead and try it your way. I'm going to go have some pancakes

<3
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    After a marathon, have you ever seen people wearing thermal blankets? That's because their evaporating sweat is cooling their body more rapidly than they'd like, and they've got to warm up. In addition, their bodies have just spent hours concentrating on moving muscles, maintaing heart rate, etc., and not so much on temperature regulation.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    What's the point of being on MFP if you're not tracking calorie intake and exercise output? People are giving you good advice to help you not fail and you are not even listening to it. Fad diets/crash diets are just that. They are designed to make money for someone, but most people only fail. The fine print always says average weight lost is 1-2# per week. Be smart about what you are trying to do so that you succeed! You need to know what you are taking in for calories in order to have the energy to do the exercise. You can be a gym rat and work out 2 hours a day, but you need to fuel your body so that you build muscle and not burn muscle. There is no need to harm yourself when you can make simple changes and be on the right track.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    After a hard workout, even after I have changed into dry clothes, I get very cold for quite some time afterward, no matter how I have eaten that day. It doesn't seem terribly unusual and has been posted on here before.