p90x preworkout nutrition question

Options
cynthials
cynthials Posts: 213 Member
I work out at 5am, usually on an empty stomach. This has never been a problem for me in the past but I am now 5 weeks into p90x and feel sluggish during my workouts (I am not following p90x nutrition, just logging my calories here on MFP). Monday morning I had to stop and eat a few crackers because I felt like I was going to hurl. I am averaging about 1800 per day in calories.

I really don't want to get up any earlier to eat so I am wondering if there is another solution. I was considering trying the energy gel things that runner's use. Or am I just better off eating a banana or something?

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Gu energy gels are a great idea. That is what I use when I do a run and don't want to eat an hour before heading out. Way to go with P90X! If you haven't looked into Shakeology, I highly recommend it. It's a great recovery drink after a P90X workout.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    As soon as I am done my workout I drink 1 cup of 1% chocolate milk. It has helped me lots :smile:

BTW I feel that way during Plyo. The chocolate milk really helps afterwards though
  • Doctorcb
    Doctorcb Posts: 31
    Options
    Studies have shown doing small amount of protein and carbs before workout is beneficial. I use a prewoekout supplement like Jack 3D to help with lifting. I do P90X recovery drink with a scoop of whey protein after all my weight workouts. It is awesome. Shakeology I use for breakfast with a scoop of whey protein.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As soon as I am done my workout I drink 1 cup of 1% chocolate milk. It has helped me lots :smile:

BTW I feel that way during Plyo. The chocolate milk really helps afterwards though

I have been doing the chocolate milk for recovery on rough days. Unfortunately our budget does not allow for the Shakeology PWO shakes.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown doing small amount of protein and carbs before workout is beneficial. I use a prewoekout supplement like Jack 3D to help with lifting. I do P90X recovery drink with a scoop of whey protein after all my weight workouts. It is awesome. Shakeology I use for breakfast with a scoop of whey protein.

I just purchased Jack3D and start using it on Saturday. I've heard great things about it.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I always have a small-medium banana as soon as I wake up. They digest quickly, so I can start my workout soon after. I've never had any issues with them, even with workouts like Plyo or Insanity.

You do want some fuel in your system before you workout. Your body has been fasting all night, and it needs some fuel to push through the workouts.