Alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• ashehoff
    ashehoff Posts: 14
    Options
    Definitely agree for going with a simple spirit - vodka, rum, gin etc with a sugar-free mixer to cut calories down.

If it is more social drinking, you could try alternating your drinks ie 1 alcoholic, 1 diet coke or water and repeat so that you drink less in total.

I definitely wouldn't agree that you 'have to remind yourself it is temporary'. The problem is that once you have lost the weight if you go back to exactly what you were doing in the first place you will just gain it all back. So try to pick a solution that you think is realistic and obtainable for you.

Also (dietitian in me coming out here) remember that if you are getting loads of empty calories from alcohol - especially if you are trying to restrict calories already - that you are missing out nutritionally somewhere else.

Goodluck!

Alcohol is not "empty calories" to me, haha!
    Seriously though, thank you very much for your advice. You are right. I need to make "lifestyle" changes.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Alcohol is not "empty calories" to me, haha!
    Seriously though, thank you very much for your advice. You are right. I need to make "lifestyle" changes.

hahahaha correction - nutritionally empty :P
  • auttyfrmca
    auttyfrmca Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So I don't drink very often and I planned Frirday VERY well except for the fact that I was going to be drinking. I drank almost a WHOLE bottle of wine and 3 corona lights! I couldn't believe it. Needless to say I kind of stayed the same this week!
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    I usually have a cocktail every evening. More than a few on the weekends. I quit about 8 days ago (got a bet with another MFP'er). I have lost almost 4 lbs in those 8 days after having been plateaued for almost a month.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Dry red wine :drinker:

Low sugar and awesome for the ticker.
  • orangegalt
    orangegalt Posts: 47
    Options
    www.getdrunknotfat.com
    a fabulous resource that lists liquor by the best alcohol to calorie ratio.

i've stopped drinking beer and now do shots or drink gin (69 calories per ounce) with seltzer or diet tonic (no calories). when i really want to get drunk, i factor 5-8 drinks in my daily total, and because i have to eat a bit less to fit that in, i usually get drunk faster and don't even need all 8.
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ive switched to the Bud select 55. That way i can have two beers compaired to one and the taste isn't that bad. Hope that helps. Good luck

"And the taste ISN'T THAT BAD"?

I don't get it. Why drink something you don't like?

To get drunk

I think I love you...and I'm pretty sure I don't bat for your team :blushing:
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Dry red wine :drinker:

Low sugar and awesome for the ticker.

But tastes like...expensive socks. I kid! I'm the only non-red wine drinker I know. Just can't handle how it "feels." But so totally healthy, with alcohol to boot.
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    I am sooooooo having the same problem. I quit drinking beer all together but, I still like my vodka and Rock Star. I did switched to sugar free Rock Star! I try to workout longer than usual that day and, I know it is bad but, I try not eat dinner. I will have a snack but not much. Good thing is I get buzzed a lot faster so, I drink less. Vanilla vodka and diet ginger ale is good too! If I am going to a party I bring a veggie tray so I can snack on that too. Well good luck to us!
  • meljaniya
    meljaniya Posts: 22
    Options
    I ABSOLUTLY LOVE THIS SITE! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE, WHO IS TRYING TO FIGURE THIS ALCOHOL THING OUT! I DO VODKA WITH WATER AND LIME AND A SPLASH OF CLUB SODA. I REALLY ENJOY MY HAPPY HOURS :drinker:
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    You could try SkinnyGirl Margaritas! Each ounce and a half shot is 37 calories - and a 4oz glass is 100 calories! :)

http://www.skinnygirlcocktails.com/
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like my cheap whiskey & diet coke and will sit there all night every night drinking. The trick is to use a tall enough glass so that ice plus 14oz of liquid fit in it.
    That's better than a small glass where you put in a shot and 1/2 a soda --- you're drinking twice as much alcholol.
  • beckybernardo
    beckybernardo Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The first couple of drinks were a little bit different, but then like everything else, you get a taste for it. That is all I like to drink now.