Got to change!

Options
I'm 213 lbs. Bigger than I have ever been. I'm ready for a change! I'm having trouble finding foods that will keep me in the 1200-1300 calorie range since I'm a binger and late night snacker. I'm not wild about water (makes me sick) addicted to coke, don't eat much fruit because it doesn't seem to satisfy for much longer than 10 min if that, and not a pudding fan! but I do love vegetables! Anyway, I'm happy to be here and hope to make some friends that can give me suggestions!

Replies

• kyleesartwell
    Options
    I have been on My Fitness Pal before, but its been awhile. After I weighed myself this morning, I decided that I needed to make a comeback. I am currently 233.8 pounds and my goal weight is 150. One thing that has been working for me is to eat foods that have a high fiber content, I always find that high fiber foods make me feel full longer. Feel free to add me! We got this!
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I canont believe that no one has replied! Welcome!!!

First off, it is always best to find your binge triggers. Is it that time of day (after dinner)? Or is there something in the house that you notice at that time? Removing all binge-triggers may help, unless it is that time. For me, I stopped eating or drinking anything after 8:00pm. This keeps your body from retaining weight throughout the night. Think about this: if you eat after 8ish, your body has to work digesting that food/beverage all night while you are sleeping. Instead, your digestive system should be getting rest, too. That helps you have a better metabolism and it helps improve your sleep drastically!!

Secondly, 1200-1300 calories may not be enough for you. At 213, your BMR (what you body burns while you are doing nothing just being in a coma) is probably much higher than that. To give you an idea, my BMR (close to your weight, but I don't know your height) is 1600+/-. I eat more than that but less than I burn in a typical day (TDEE). When I was eating 1200/day, I was not really hungry until meals, and I felt like I was fine. I read about BMR and TDEE and decided to change that, and I am hungry all day (before/after meals) and I love it. My metabolism is kicking in, and the hunger is mild but constant. Different than before when I would overeat. My meals more than satisfy me, but I can feel my body using my food energy quickly.

You have to eat more than your body burns at extreme rest to fuel every cell/organ/function in your body. Eat less than your TDEE to lose weight. At 1200-1300 calories, you are most likely not getting enough for your body, and binging is a natural reaction to that. Google: how do I calculate my BMR and TDEE. You will be given many sites (one is MFP), and you can go from there. Water is important, too. What we may confuse as hunger is most often thirst and dehydration. I read that, and it changed my life. Those odd times of hunger have gone away.

To lose 2 lbs/week, you have to be 1000 calories/day under your amount you burn in a normal day, but if that number is under your BMR, you might lose for a few weeks, and then you will plateau (most likely). MFP takes your setting of "lost 2lbs/week" and goes as low as it can, attempting to remove 1000 cal/day out of your diet, which is why most people have that 1200 calorie setting, but it is under your BMR! Many people had success at those low numbers (I lost 4lbs in my first week), and many people will tell you it works. I don't want to discredit ANYONE'S success. Take every person's advice in.

Listen to your body, and do what feels best to you, but it sounds like 1200-1300 are already making your body tell you "more please," and that is nothing to be worried about. Try more. Calculate those numbers and see what works for you. I went from a projection of 2lbs/week to 0.8/week now. Disappointing? Yes. But I am working on accepting that. I'd rather go slow and reach my goal than go fast, plateau and have to remotivate.

Such a great post! I hope you get some more advice, as mine is a little bleh. :)

I hope this helps. Good luck!!!!
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have been on My Fitness Pal before, but its been awhile. After I weighed myself this morning, I decided that I needed to make a comeback. I am currently 233.8 pounds and my goal weight is 150. One thing that has been working for me is to eat foods that have a high fiber content, I always find that high fiber foods make me feel full longer. Feel free to add me! We got this!

^^ Yes!! Fiber and protein will curb that appetite

I am adding both you lovely people to my friends. Feel free to not accept, but I would love to be a part of your journey!
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    MFP has me at 1300 calories, so I will try that I guess for now :) Thanks for your post! Lots of good information and I can use all I can get
  • DojoMaster888
    DojoMaster888 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Its all about finding things that you do enjoy eating. I have struggled my entire life with obesity, I tend to be an emotional eater, and its all about building new habits. I tend to have alot of success eating salads that are premade that I buy from Walmart. The small square salads in the deli are around 190 calories paired with a green apple and a greek yogurt tend to keep me easily in the calorie goal. Also those kelloggs cracker chips do wonders to replace potatoe chips or I use a handful of them as a crouton sub. It really just comes down to finding out what you like and making an effort to remove the bad and replace it with healthier choices. Also protein shakes were a big tihng for me not because of muscle gain but because the body breaks down protein slower so I usually make one for breakfast and it does wonders keeping me from eating my arm until roughly 10am when I get a handful of almonds for a snack before lunch.

Anyways wish you the best of luck, persistence is key!
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I once read a book on nutrition health and weight loss. The author basically said "too bad, eat it anyway" So, I did. I ate the foods he had recommended. I found after eating them for about a month I actually began to LIKE many of the foods I was eating, I just needed to change my tastebuds/brain. Now, there are certain foods I still cannot stand, ugh, like kale. GROSS and okra. And radishes I think they are nasty. I was NEVER a water drinker, but I started small, instead of gulping it, if it makes you sick, sip it slowly through the day. If water is making you will, perhaps you shoudl visit a gastroentrologist to see if you have some stomach issues? I was nevera fruit eater and other than apples, it is still not my first choice for a snack. However, I mix them often with other foods and they do help, and I feel good for having the fiber and nutrients they offer, but by themselves I get super dupre hungry like you. T.V. often makes ME want to eat I have discoverd and perhaps this is also adding to your evening binging? Try doing another activity in the pm like walking, reading a good book, or even a light workout?