Glucosamine MSM

Options
shanerylee
shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
Hey there. Does anyone take this as supplement for joints, etc?
I am going to try it for some knee issues I am having and wondered if was effective and also if you have any weird side effects

Replies

• merbee
    merbee Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oh I can't wait to see the replies to this one. I have been wondering the same thing.
  • mfpme3
    mfpme3 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, Yes I take Glucosamine and it works really well for me. I had knee surgery in August and it has helped allot. It keeps the swelling down and helps with keeping the tendons and ligaments strong and helps with pain etc.
    My doctor told me that the studies show that Glucosamine really does work but the studies are not that conclusive for the MSM. I don't think it could hurt but just pure Glucosamine I think is the best bang for the buck. I take 1500 to 3000 mg a day. I know that sounds like allot but it is worth it for the recovery process. For long term maintenance I will probably only need to take 500 to 1000. It takes a week or two for it to build up in your system so be patient and then you will see results. A friend who rides horses allot told me that he got bulk powdered Glucosamine Sulfate at a feed store for horses. Vets give it to horses for the same ligament problems and his Vet said it's the same Glucosamine Sulfate that is used for humans. It is cheaper in this powdered bulk form. A tsp I think is about 1500 mg. I am using a powdered form that comes in packets and each packet is about a tsp and is 1500mg. There are no side affects that I know about. What your body doesn't use it will just flush out. Because I am still in the recovery process after micro fracture surgery if I don't take the glucosamine for even a few days I can tell the difference and I start taking it again and again I see the results. GOOD LUCK
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    I take Wellesse liquid, which has glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. My orthopedic doc seems to think it doesn't work, but every time I stop taking it I notice a difference after about a week. Some studies show it works for mild to moderate joint pain. I get it at Costco...much cheaper than online. Tastes ***Ugh*** gross, but it works for me.
  • fireengineer
    Options
    I agree with Balance 9, Wellesee tastes absolutely nasty unless you like the child cough syrup taste. If so, you're in luck! (My wife bought it at Sam's in an attempt to save money)

I currently take Osteo-Bi Flex Triple Strength (2 tablets a day) and it seems to help. I am a knee replacement candidate and I am not ready to go under so I'm willing to try anything to put it off as long as I can. It costs about $30 for a 90 day supply.

A guy in my office takes Elations in powder form you mix with drinks. He testifies by it. It is kind of pricey at $1/day.
  • galleri
    galleri Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use Glucosamine regularly. I was born with a birth defect in my foot, they corrected it with surgery. About when I was 11 years old, arthritis and tendentitis in that foot and ankle kicked in bad. I wait tables so I am on my feet ALL the time. So taking it has helped it out along with my hips. Give it a few weeks. You will notice a change!!! But I have never had any side effects from it. But each person's body chemicals are different and react a bit differently to meds and vitamins.
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My husband has starting taking Glucosamine for aching knees and back, and he says that it has really helped! I know this is different but our vet also recommended us to give it to our dog who has bad hips...:laugh: Hope this helps!
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I take it, my Dr said to only take the glucosamine with chondroitin with the knee problems that I have, she said the other combination wouldn't work. I've just this weekend noticed a difference, I've been taking it about 3 weeks now.