PCOS...

Options
Hello, I'm new to this website and was wondering if there is anyone who knows the best diet to follow when having PCOS, or any medication which helps?
I've put on a lot of weight and was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago, I've tried slimmingworld and weightwatchers had good results in the first week or so, then I'd just stay the same or start putting 1lb a week on.
I really have hit rock bottom now, I walk alot and starting the gym today, my doctor doesn't really believe me when I say I've been trying, he simply says diet and exercise.
I tried using weight loss tablets aswell like Alli, and Proactal but had major side affects and ended up in A&E.
I really have no idea of what to do anymore, any advice or success stories would be so helpful!

Thanks xxx

Replies

• dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are feeling at rock bottom right now. I also have PCOS and find if I decrease my carbs (bread/rice/pasta) and increase my fibre and protein it helps. And the breads etc I do eat are wholegrain. For me, my weightloss has been very slow. I have also been on Metformin in the past. Perhaps that is something you can talk to your doctor about. And exercise is very important! Even if you just do 30 minutes a day of walking it has been proven to lower insulin levels. It is possible! There are many women on this site with PCOS, many success stories out there as well.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hello, What I have found to work, is decrease your intake of processed carbs, and sugars. Eat good carbs, such a wholegrains and veg etc. (this makes a big difference) and increase your protein and fibre.

Just expect your weightloss to be slower, be patient, it will eventually come off steadily, just keep at it.
    I am doing this without any medication, and I am not allowed on the pil to help it, so I stick with a healthy lifestyle (as much as poss) to ease symptoms. Good luck!

Edit: Also lots of water!
    Also what someone else just said, I forgot to add. Basically a Low GI diet I researched alot before (as my dad is diabetic) it eases sugar spikes, which helps with the insulin resistant part of PCOS. I'd say have a look into low GI diets, but otherwise, in a simple way have as little processed carbs and sugar as possible x
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a Low GI "diet"? It helps me, you need to keep your insulin levels steady throughout the day which means eating whole grains, fruit, veg and lean protein and avoiding the more processed "white" carbs. If will take time but I'm sure you will be able to do it.

There are some PCOS groups on here too that can help.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and there are some essential things you should be doing. I went through the exact same thing and Yes, it is much harder for us to lose weight.

1. If you not already, get on birth control. It makes a huge difference in your hormones and not only stabilizes your emotions so you dont overeat but it also levels things out so body responds better to weight loss.

2. Ask your doctor for metformin. Its another medication that stabilizes your sugar and your hormones as to help you lose weight. Is is NOT a weight loss pill. It only helps women with diabetes or hormones issues like us. I have heard big success stories from a lot of women that have been on it. I am on it too.

3. I am not doing it but I also heard low carb (and I mean low carb NOT no carb like Adkins) is a diet that works for PCOS. Mostly because there are not as many sugar spikes which spikes out hormones too. Try eating most of your carbs in the morning, medium carbs for lunch and low carb for dinners.

4. Allow yourself a few days a month to eat sugar or go out to eat. Our hormones are much more intense than normal girls. There are 2 days a month (2 days before my period) that I am a bottomless pit for carbs and sugar. Its like clockwork. To the point I will obsess every minute about chocolate over hours and hours. I give myself a break during that time and I wont beat myself up about it. Its part the dysfunction.

I hope that helps
  • RevCO30
    RevCO30 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS...diagnosed nearly 16 years ago. I have always been heavy and the PCOS has made it even harder to lose/maintain a healthy weight. I have been on some form of birth control since I was 15.

I can agree with many of the things that Dauntlesness said and others. It is a constant battle.

Is there a PCOS support group on here? If not anyone interested in forming one? I am getting married in a year and a half and my fiance and I are discussing the issue of children, I don't know if he quite understands that I may not be able to concieve and or carry to term without assistance.
  • Louisekellyy
    Louisekellyy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll do everything you's have said, and hopefully start getting results. I think I might pay another visit to my doctor aswell, and ask about this Metformin I've read a lot about it and he didn't even mention it when I was diagnosed, also I'm on the cerazette pill and have been for the last 4 years and haven't had 1 period.
    I would join a support group if there was one?? I think that's a brill idea! xxx
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll do everything you's have said, and hopefully start getting results. I think I might pay another visit to my doctor aswell, and ask about this Metformin I've read a lot about it and he didn't even mention it when I was diagnosed, also I'm on the cerazette pill and have been for the last 4 years and haven't had 1 period.
    I would join a support group if there was one?? I think that's a brill idea! xxx

Periods suck. Especially when your not used to having them regularly. I used to have mine once every 6-8 months. The thing is, I think it kept the weight on me. Plus I would have random spotting which was a huge bummer. If I were you I would look into a monthly birth control pill. Your young so its super important if you ever plan on having babies that your body gets used to the ovulation cycle as our bodies wont do it by themselves very often. :)
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    About periods, I'd not have one for 18 months, then every other week, then not for 6 months, then 2 normal, then a year without etc. Since being healthier, Its become more regular every 3-6 weeks, so that is possible that it settles into a routine.
  • Kimberly_Tanith
    Kimberly_Tanith Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS and Metformin makes me very very sick... so I was unable to stay on it.

What I did was completely changed my diet, no diary and no red meat as the cysts feed on these foods so I started eating more vegetables and fruits and I also started exercising more like going for walks/jogs 4 days a week 3 miles each day.

I also came off birth control as off mid December, trying to fight these things naturally.

In those 3 months my cysts shrank from 21mm to 4mm and I lost 20lbs.

My doctor was really surprised and told me to keep doing what I was doing, so perhaps you can try that.

He does urge me to try and take a small dosage of the Metformin as it really does work at getting rid of them completely so you can try it and see if it works for you as some people don't get any side effects :smile: :flowerforyou:

I hope this helped.

As of last week I bought an elliptical to help me burn more calories, so I'll see how that goes because due to the PCOS the weight loss is slow so... I just gotta be patient :ohwell:
  • Louisekellyy
    Louisekellyy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think I'm going to go back to my doctor and ask about Metformin, he told me that there was nothing to help when I was first diagnosed, only tablets that help with hair growth and if you're trying to get pregnant.
    I'm going to start one of my local gyms and try and go at least 3 times a week, I'm also going to try a low carb diet, and hopefully get some results.
    If there are any other tips anyone might have please tell :)

Thanks for the tips so far :) xx
  • Susan6372
    Options
    For what it is worth, I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22 and now am 40. I have not been able to get a period on my own and have had to rely on progesterone once every three months. I started taking an all natural product called Glucorein PCOS about 10 months ago. It took 6 weeks to get my period back and I have been regular ever since. I am not drug free - yeah!!! It also helped with my hair thinning and weightloss. I had new hair growth in 4 months. Nothing for the hirsutism though. I order it through 1-888-259-6599.
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Glucorein PCOS has also really helped me! After months on a low-carb diet, working out, and metformin and not losing anything, after 2 weeks on Glucorein I've lost about 2 lb. My hair shedding has also really decreased!
  • XLMuffnTop
    XLMuffnTop Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of what others have said.

Reduce or eliminate refined carbs, up your lean protein and non starchy veggies. I'm not perfect but this is my aim.

Also, I just recently started Metformin and it has made a HUGE difference. A lot of people say they have bad side effects for the first few weeks, fewer have the effects linger longer. Some lucky ones (me apparently) don't have any side effects. No bathroom issues, no headaches, fatigue or anything. I couldn't be happier!

It has seriously helped regular my blood sugar spikes and therefore my hunger. I haven't felt intense cravings and I'm not constantly thinking about food. I feel almost "normal." It may or may not work as well for you but I'd definitely say give it a shot. If your doctor balks because you're not diabetic, he/she doesn't know enough about PCOS and you need to see another.

Good luck!
  • clarebear1982
    Options
    Hey! I was diagnosed with pcos about 5 years ago and initially lost 4 stone on a very low calorie diet (about 750 per day) plus 7 days a week exercise. Unfortunately I couldn't sustain and have put on almost 2 stone since my lightest. Very frustrating. Tried low carb, low GI and 1200 calls per day on Mfp and getting nowhere. I've heard about this new 5/2 diet and wondered if anyone had tried? Heard good success stories but not sure how it works with pcos! Any advice or stories?
  • cirialopez1
    Options
    Hello ladies!
    My name is Ciria, I am 24 I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago. I since then started to try and take care of myself and lose weight but it is so hard. I have never taken metformin or anything for that matter, only BC which was so not worth it. So I decided to take on a more natural approach on January 10th I started drinking an all natural (literally you make it yourself) veggie/fruit shake that my aunt (who has diabetes) told me about. First thing I noticed was the energy! Second was that I was no longer getting headaches, and most importantly my bowel movements really stabilized. This shake is full of potassium from all the fruits and veggies, it has good carbs, fiber, and so many vitamins. I thought I wasn't going to like it because of the veggies in it and the color it had. Oh but I was wrong it's very good! I have gotten so used to it that if I stop taking it, I have no energy and I get occasional headaches. I love the fact that I am getting all my veggie and fruit portions in one shake! It is a life changer! Also on Feb. 8th I started taking supplements one is Vitrex -Chasteberry, it is suppose to help menstrual symptoms it is certainly too soon to say if there are any changes but when you have PCOS any change is good change. Changes that I have noticed since Feb. 8th are that my hair loss has decreased and I have not gotten the occasional hairs on the chin like I would get (gross!). I also started taking a cinnamon supplement which is suppose to help with blood sugar regulations. The only think I have noticed is that my sugar cravings are less, not greatly but I haven't been on it long so I'll take it. Also started drinking one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with water before bed which is also supposed to help with blood sugar regulations. I like it because it calms my cravings for fat and carbs. My mom also takes it every other day to help maintain her weight loss and my aunt takes it to help control her diabetes. I do all this while trying to stay away from bad carbs! I am a nursing student so I'm always asking my instructors all sorts of questions, I kind of refuse to take medication if I really don't have too but that is just me. I just now started working out so my changes can also be because of my change in activity. I really want to meet some ladies who I can get help from and help them go through this inconvenienced syndrome. If any of you have tried any of the things I've tried please tell me about your experiences, it would mean the world! Please add me, I really need friends who know what I am going through, thank you for letting me share my PCOS experience. Have a great day!
  • CuddlyIrish
    Options
    Hi all!! Just joined this website today and would really live to make friends here with other women with PCOS. I have struggled with my weight all my life, lost a bit of weight but no where near what I need to. Could do with support, advice and friendship to get me through. Feel free to add me ????
  • cadet88
    Options
    I also have horrible PCOS and never knew it could hinder weight loss. Thanks, doctors! I also think a support group would be awesome, feel free to add me.. I've been away from mfp for a few weeks but ready to get back on track. I was diagnosed with PCOS just a few weeks ago with bad bloodwork. Going to an acupuncturist now and my Diaxinol (supposed to be a natural sub for metaformin-- Yeah I'm a pretty big hippie) so we'll see how that works out. I really would like to lose weight so I can be healthy enough to carry a baby!!
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    I sympathize with you ladies. PCOS sucks!
    I was diagnosed with it when I was about 14 or 15 because I still had not started my period. They put me on Birth Control and soon I started to have regular periods. I was also put on Glucovage (commonly used by Type 2 Diabetics) because I was considered high risk for diabetes and the two can sometimes go hand in hand. I weighed about an average of 240 pounds when I was in my teens and losing weight was a very frustrating battle. It's a catch 22 because PCOS symptoms can be improved with weight loss....but weight loss can be tough when you have PCOS. I've lost weight since then and kept an average of 185 pounds for almost 10 years give or take some pounds.
    It's been rough because I stopped taking birth control a few years ago because my husband and I want to conceive. I went over a year without having a period and then one day I just randomly had my first ever period on my own.
    Last year I decided to really crack down on my weight and lifestyle. I'm currently at the lowest weight I have ever been (156 lbs) and am still losing and am proud to report that I now have periods almost every month. This gives me a lot of hope about being able to possibly have a child.
    Losing weight can be really slow and tricky with PCOS, but it comes with great rewards. Unfortunately, I still battle the stupid unwanted hair growth thing, but having periods again is certainly a point in the right direction. :)
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Ill be a different to some of these opinions :) Ive lost close to 180 pound with PCOS...i have done that with no medication (keep in mind we are all different)...so I do not take birth control or metformin. I try and eat as much non processed foods as I can and try and have one "grain" free meal per day. I also think exercise is important and I would aim for at least 3 days a week if not 5 days a week. Best of luck!
  • katybateman
    Options
    hi i have pcos aswell
    i have found taht the essiest way for me to lose weight is herbal life and only eating fruit and veg however i do sometimes eat bread and pasta which i know is noughty,

i started my diet on the 1st of december and i have lost just over 4 stone so far so seems to work

for the overy pain i try to do as much excersise and keep my self busy that way i can try to ignore it dance seems to help the most.
    xxxx