New runner... oh the pain!! Advice?

Options
So this week I started a beginners running programme, which is pretty easy, 1 minute run, 2 minute walk x 7. I did Monday, Tuesday, rested Wednesday and ran this morning. But, my legs are in agony! I feel like I'm ancient, I can only hobble up stairs at a very conservative speed (super slowly). I also alternate doing a ballet workout and yoga every day, so I don't imagine that's helped any. Is there anything I can do to help with the pain, I know it's just stiffness, but it's really sore. Ideally I'd like to still do my daily ballet, and go for a run tomorrow, but I'm not sure if that will help or make things worse. Any advice as to what I should do? I don't want to just skip working out, because it's part of my daily routine now, but I also don't want to aggravate my muscles anymore. So, anyone who has any suggestions, it would be MUCH appreciated!
:)

Replies

• jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I would definitely take a rest day and maybe just do yoga for the stretching. Theres no shame in a rest day especially if you've been going at it 7 days a week.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    What part of "legs" is sore?
  • roiLEI1554
    Options
    Definitely stretch! both dynamic and stationary stretching
    WHat usually works for me: warm-up run (0.5 miles) + dynamic stretching + workout + walk a little + stationary stretching + more stationary stretching at night before I sleep and, if I still feel sore the next morning, stretch a little in the morning, too

Oh, and definitely get plenty of water or some sports drink (electrolytes)! I find that sometimes I feel more tight when I don't get enough.

Good luck! I'd suggest taking at least one day off per week though! this day off personally helps me a lot :smile:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'd back off on how often you run - at least one day in between. When I started running, I used the c25k program, which has you run just three days a week. I made it through the 9 week program without any injuries or brutal soreness.

It's been over a year, and I still run three days a week - seems to be a good fit for me - I do weights the other three days and take one rest day per week.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I recommend a foam roller. If you haven't heard of them it's like a deep tissue massage that you give yourself. It really does help. And make sure you are drinking plenty of water...amazing what a difference that can make too.
  • opaljade15
    Options
    What part of "legs" is sore?

That's all great advice thanks. I probably should drink more water... ALL parts of my legs! My bum (I;m not sure what muscles those are exactly) and upper thighs are the worst, but my shins are also feeling the pain...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I wondered if it was your shins. New runners often end up with shin splints because they land on their heels and try to take too big of steps. Taking shorter steps and landing midfoot will help stop that. I've never had thigh or bum aches from running.
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Knee joints can easily get sore from running. Sometimes I take glucosamine chondroitin to help. As long as it isn't anything more than soreness from something new exercising will help relieve the lactic acid that has built up which is what is causing the pain. Yoga will help stretch and relieve that lactic acid as well. If you feel like you've pulled something, then ice and rest is best. When my shins hurt from training too much, I ice them before I run.
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just starting out I did the c25k program every other day & rested on the weekend. You may be doing too much too soon.

Otherwise, stretch stretch strech!

Icing down my knees was always helpful too. Maybe that will help your soreness.

Good luck!
  • LemonMint6
    Options
    If you feel hobbled I would definitely do a few days of walking only to keep your legs warm and then stretching. I always finish my "running" workouts, which are intervals like yours with a 30 min walk, I may be sore, but I'm never unable to move normally the next day.

Also I'm doing c25k, and just three days a week seems right for me. :) I've read (on the internet, so here's some salt too) that if you are running for fitness 3 days a week is plenty of "running" days, but if you're training for an event or an ability then doing more makes sense.
  • jamesh87uk
    Options
    The pain will pass overtime once your legs are used to the running. When you are able to do longer distances, get some Vaseline and rub it on your feet and your upper thighs haha. I wish someone told me that on my first big run.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    foam roller is a good one, maybe a hot bath. Your legs will adjust in a bit.

One question, how fast are you running? A lot of new runners will go way too fast at first, so if you treat that minute like an all-out sprint, it may be making your legs sore
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I wondered if it was your shins. New runners often end up with shin splints because they land on their heels and try to take too big of steps. Taking shorter steps and landing midfoot will help stop that. I've never had thigh or bum aches from running.

Yup

Go to a running store and get evaluated for the proper running shoe. This is usually a free service.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Stretching will do nothing for your soreness. There are no studies that show stretching to be effective.

Do a warm-up before you run (e.g., walk at a good clip for 5 min). Then concentrate on form, as others aid above: take shorter steps and focus on landing on your toe or midfoot, not heel. Make sure you have well-fitting, comfortable shoes.

Take regular rest days and alternate your cardio exercise if you can. Ride a bike or spend some time on an elliptical instead of only running.

If you have even the first signs of shin splints, I would suggest backing off for a few weeks altogether. They can be a sign of soft tissue damage, which heals relatively fast, or they can be a sign of stress fractures, which take longer to heal. If you "push through the pain", you will make the injury worse and it will take that much longer to recover. Better take it easy early on than overdo it and not be able to run at all for months.
  • mliberty42
    mliberty42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Be careful of the dreaded shin splints!

I have been trying to increase my running, and every time I start to get anywhere, I get the pain in the front/inside of my shins that is the telltale sign.

The best thing is to follow the advice already given - stretch, foam roller, and ice. I would advise (at least this is what I do), is when the pain starts to feel like it might be more than soreness to stop running and switch to something cardio that doesn’t include impact on your feet (elliptical, rowing, bike, etc.). Try to keep the same duration and close to the same intensity - if you are doing intervals running, do the same thing on whatever machine you choose. That way, when you back to running, you won't have to go back to square one (though you will regress in your running stamina somewhat). When the pain goes away, give it a couple more days to be safe and then back to the run.

Good Luck!
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    This may be redundant because I didn't read all the replies, however, make sure to get yourself checked for what type of 'step' you have so that you can get a runner that matches. Check out runningroom.com to find out more. However, lots of places will do this for you and if you google, you can probably test yourself and research which shoes are best. This will drastically help with shin splits!

Make sure to stretch before, and after, that will help with soreness. And, make sure to still do a warm-up/cool down. That will also help.

As well, LOTS of water. That helps flush out the body of toxins.

And - Enjoy! Running is great.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Make sure to use a new pair of running shoes. If you are running with an old pair, that could be causing the problem.

Also, make sure to stretch afterwards. In addition, try to get a foam roller and roll out your muscles before and after a run. It helps tremendously.

And last, make sure you are using proper form while running. If you need help, google chi running. It will save your legs and joints tremendously.

If you are too sore today, I would definitely take a rest day and try it tomorrow.