Veggies?? How?

Options
I am doing well with my goals but I have very limited knowledge regarding how to eat well. I am trying to educate my self and learn things that are realistic changes in my busy life ( I can't change everything at once or I will give up). I have cut out white bread and gone to whole grains. I know I need fruits and vegetables and protein. I need some super quick and super easy ideas to get protein since I am constantly on the run. I also need some suggestions on what to do with veggies. My family backround is very meat and potatoes and frying foods. I am trying to break this cycle for my children. I know how to make a basic salad, but I can only eat so much of that. Please any suggestion would be great.

Replies

• Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Several times a week I chop Broccili, Cauliflower, Carrots, Onions and Peppers (Plus anything that may be getting old in the Fridge) I mix it in a big bowl with Olive Oil and seasoning whatever you like -- avoid salt).

Then I throw it in the oven at about 560 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes. al Dente.

Love it.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    It sounds delicious, how much olive oil do you use?
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Not the fastest way to make veggies, but my thing is grilling them. With the weather being nice i find myself in front of the grill more. Mushrooms, tomaots, aspargus, zeuchini, potatoes, onions, peppers. Just toss with some EVOO, some seasoing, grill until al dente, not mush! Yummmmmm!
  • birchwood
    birchwood Posts: 4
    Options
    I'll cut carrots, celery, and sometimes zucchini into sticks and put them in water in the fridge. Every once in a while take a couple out to snack on. Also, steaming veggies for meals instead of boiling leaves a lot more nutrients in them.( I got a steamer for about $8. )The problem is, most people end up slathering them with butter, so try this instead; drizzle your steamed veggies with fresh, chopped garlic and when they're done, put a pinch of salt and a little pepper on them. I love them this way. Especially brussels sprouts!
    I never would have thought to steam fresh brussels sprouts, but a friend made them for me one night, with the garlic, and I couldn't get enough of them.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I just throw mine in a glass dish on top of some olive oil, throw some garlic powder or Garlic Season All on top and bake at about 360 for 20 minutes.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Several times a week I chop Broccili, Cauliflower, Carrots, Onions and Peppers (Plus anything that may be getting old in the Fridge) I mix it in a big bowl with Olive Oil and seasoning whatever you like -- avoid salt).

Then I throw it in the oven at about 560 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes. al Dente.

Love it.

Yes! Roasted vegetables are so easy and sooooo good. I usually only need a tiny bit of olive oil. I find 2 teaspoons to be enough for a whole 9x13 baking dish of veggies -- really just enough to keep them from sticking to the pan. I love to top with ground pepper, a pinch of salt (I don't use much, but I'm not going to stop cooking with it since it really does bring out flavors) and some dried rosemary.
  • birchwood
    birchwood Posts: 4
    Options
    Oh, good tip Smu. I do that a lot in the summer too. I've even put them on skewers and made a veggie shishkebab as a compliment to a nice, lean steak. Speaking of steak, here's a really nice low fat marinade that tastes awesome: 1/4 cup EVOO,(or melted olive oil Becel margarine) couple Tbs of low sodium soy sauce and fresh chopped garlic (to taste), mix and marinate your steaks in it for at least an hour before BBQ time, then brush on the rest as it cooks. It's divine.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    In order to get my veggies in and up my protein, I make a Green Monster shake.

Combine in a blender:
    3/4c. milk
    1/4c water
    1 banana
    1-2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder (I use Trader Joe's)
    Fill to top with spinach (4-5 cups)

Blend it, and drink. I know it sounds weird, but it's REALLY good because you can only really taste the banana and vanilla, I PROMISE!

It takes about 2 minutes to make, and has between 4-5 servings of veggies + protein in it!
  • SarahAlt
    SarahAlt Posts: 44
    Options
    If I'm grilling I'll cut up a bunch of say... yellow squash and zucchini and a tab of olive oil (although I have used canola oil) and wrap it up in tin foil. Throw it on the grill and voila! It steams itself.

Also, I eat a lot a broccoli from frozen. All you do is dump some frozen broccoli in a glass dish with a lid and add 2 tbsp of water, this works for carrots, fresh or frozen, too. Microwave it for 6 or 7 minutes and you have quick steamed broccoli.

I add broccoli, peas, carrots or bell peppers to dishes like alfredo or hamburger/tuna helper and then you have a one bowl meal. I also have a steamer that I use frequently but there's nothing wrong with using the microwave either.

And one of my favorite "make it at work" meals is peanut butter and banana sandwich. You can put it in pita bread or a tortilla or whatever. The peanut butter satisfies and supplies protein and the banana is a serving of fruit and satisfies teh sweet tooth. A great snack is also peanut butter on a plain low sodium rice cake. Sounds bland but it really is delicious!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You can also fry vegies in a non-stick pan... usually I don't even add oil, if it's sticking or looking a little dry I add water. I usually do a mix of tomato, onion, mushrooms and zucchini. Also works well barbecued.

I also love steamed anything, especially broccoli and cauliflower. Try to have a few different colours - different colours usually indicate different nutrients

If you are pushed for time - go with frozen! I don't think they taste as good but they have saved me loads of time and money at times of my life where those things needed to be my priority. And they are nutritionally equal (actually often superior) to fresh veg.

Good luck! and I love your style of changing one thing at a time! Should help you to really create some sustainable habits :)
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Oh also, you can add grated veg (carrots, zucchini are my faves) to lots of things e.g. homemade burger patties, spaghetti bolognese, pasta bake etc
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables steamed and roasted.

I take clean asparagus and carrots, and I add a 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to each and some sea salt and fresh ground pepper and roast at 400 degrees for 45-55 minutes.

You can also steam asparagus on a plate covered with saran wrap for 2 minutes in the microwave.

Cauliflower- clean and trim to florets, then spray with pam, top with paprika, onion and garlic powder, sea salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne. Roast for 45- 55 minutes at 400 degrees.