Elliptical Trainer or Stair Master??

Options
IbettR
IbettR Posts: 139 Member
Hi there, MFP'ers. :flowerforyou: I'm wondering if you all could guide me.... :ohwell: I'm thinking it would be good to source an exercise machine and was wondering if you could tell me which of the two could be the best option for someone with back problems? My husband doesn't want to go walking with me, but I think he'd be willing to do either machine. He's in the 300's (lbs) and with back problems, and I've got to do something quick to help him build his confidence about being able to exercise. All your opinions are always so appreciated :blushing: I really love the feedback from you all....:heart: Thanks

Replies

• poisonapple
    poisonapple Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 low back surgeries and I am in love with the elliptical!! For me personally the impact kills me so when I first started my recovery the elliptical was the only thing I could use. There is also my personal favorite is the elliptical treadmill stair climber. It's like the elliptical but you can change your stride to simulate full run, jog, or stair climbing and it's all 0 impact so it wont jar your back. It's a GREAT workout. I usually set it on a low incline and just cruise for about an hour daily!!
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    I would think the Elliptical Trainer is a better option. In my experience, the StairMaster is something I can only use when I feel like I have gained some strength and worked my way up to that kind of workout. I think it is hard! The Elliptical Trainer is lower impact, and a smoother stride which makes it seem easier. I'd be afraid your hubby would be frustrated with the StairMaster.

Good luck convincing him either way! I have one of those "hard to motivate" men too!
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I personally like the eliptical -- low impact -- plus you can "walk" fowards or backwards giving it an extra level of exercise.
  • Fry24
    Fry24 Posts: 21
    Options
    My husband has arthritis in his joints, a few leaking discs and other assorted back issues. The only machine (besides walking on treadmill) he can use is the elliptical. Depending on where his pain is that day, he can adjust the ramp and tensions. It is great for him, when he doesn't want to get in the pool.

good luck!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Wow,,, do they still make stairmasters? :-)

I like my elliptical - when the weather sux. In good weather I'd rather go play outside, so I have a bike.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Elliptical for sure. It also burns more calories than the stair master