Replies

• mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I work out during mine, it seems to help
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I get intense pain during that time of the month and definitely know what you mean. But a good way to fight the pain is to eat well and exercise as it does help :)
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I absolutely rest during my period. I think we haven't left ourselves any room to do so in our hustle bustle society. It's good for you and totally ok to take a rest! It's what your body wants, and it's never bad to listen to yourself and your intuition. A lot of holistic practitioners caution women to take it easy during their period, even avoiding certain yoga poses that invert the body. A couple days rest every month- that's a beautiful thing! I honor that. I wish our society did, that we could absolutely have that few days of rest. I don't know about you but I get pretty damn clumsy during that time. Not the greatest time to lift anything heavy! I find too that if I'm going to injure myself, that's when it will be. I think the hormones play with the elasticity of your tissues/ tendons etc. Take your rest, enjoy!

by the by- I used to get terrible cramps and started getting acupuncture. Now I can tell if I haven't had acupuncture in a while, it really makes a huge difference.
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    I ignore the pain, and I get my bloated water retaining TOM *kitten* to the gym.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I used rest until I got so stressed out one month I just went hell for leather. It didnt help with the cramps but it didnt make them any worse either. Kinda figured why waste a day unless I have a migraine... they are the workout stopper for me:grumble:
  • chocolate_barbell
    chocolate_barbell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have PMDD, so with that comes horrible cramps. I find, that by working out regularly, and during TOTM, this lessens the cramps.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I hate it. This is actually my 2nd month on birth control.. I am really hoping it helps. Mine was so heavy and hurt so bad for the first 36-48 hours. I couldn't do anything. =( If nothing else.. just try to do some stretching. Mine would make me sick to my stomach so I wouldn't even eat.. try taking ibuprofen if you can.. as soon as you feel it coming that should help a little. =)
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, so take my comment with a grain of salt...not as medical advice.

I have the WORST menstrual cramps ever. As a teenager, I used to miss school because I was laying in bed crying...while my mom looked on and wished she could do something. I tried all kinds of medications, including the 800 mg Motrin. Nothing really worked.

And then, about 12 years ago, my sister-in-law told me the best tip!! Calcium! I take 3 Cal-Mag-Zinc pills (for a total dosage of 1,000 mg of Calcium), and BOOM!!! Cramps are GONE! It works every.single.time. Like a miracle! I can work out or do whatever and my cramps no longer hinder my life for 1-3 days every month. Now if I could just do something about the periodic anemia that comes along with it, that would be awesome. :D

Obviously, this might not be a good option for folks with kidney stones or gallstone problems...But seriously, try it.

For reference:

http://calciumtreatment.blogspot.com/2008/07/calcium-prevent-menstrual-cramps.html

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/menstrual-pain-000052.htm (calcium AND magnesium are mentioned here)

http://www.calmnatural.com/pms-menstrual-cramps

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/foods-minimize-menstrual-cramps
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I used to.. I workout anyway.. I find working out actually alleviated any cramping and shortened my period from 5 days to 3 days!
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hey! I don't know about everyone else but during my period working out helps a LOT! Before I started working out my cramps were so bad I couldn't move! But going to the gym doing back exercises and jogging or doing the elliptical trainer helps me a lot! I just avoid doing stomach crunches during this time! Try it and see for yourself :)
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I ignore the pain, and I get my bloated water retaining TOM *kitten* to the gym.

totally this^^^

I actually wrote in my blog about it a while back
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have found that every month when my period hits me I can barely move for the first 2-3 days. I know I should get up and go to the gym, but the cramps are killer and I have no energy at all. Am I the only one that has this problem?

Working out can help, but as an acupuncturist who specializes in fertility and women's health, I never recommend heavy exercise during this time. Since I haven't met you and diagnosed you in Chinese medical terms, this is just GENERAL ADVICE, and nothing to take to the extreme. This is what I usually say to this question though: Think about it (getting to be a little TMI) your cervix is open, and your body is forcing outward and downward. IF you do heavy exercise (lifting, running, anything jumping) you are putting extra pressure on that area which can be really uncomfortable and wipe out the little energy you have left. Walking, mild yoga, and stretching can be great for that time, benefit those ligaments that are being pulled and smooth out those uncomfortable uterine contractions.

Heating pad before the exercise will help loosen and stretch too before the exercise
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It sucks b/c you feel gross sometimes, but listen to your body. Light cardio helps most but if it doesn't for you, don't kill yourself!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I've found that I can really reduce the intensity of cramping, bloating, moodiness and breast pain with my period by being absolutely diligent in the week before and the few days of with what I eat and drink. I totally cut out caffeine, chocolate, empty calories and foods high in sodium for about four days of my expected period and the three to four days it lasts, and I work out every day. No cramps or really any symptoms here. I used to have them so bad I'd curl up and cry. My mother had really bad periods too and she said to eat a tablespoon full of black pepper if you have really bad cramps. I've only been miserable enough to actually do that twice in my life, but both times it worked. It's seriously painful, but you get really flushed afterwards and then after about half an hour, the cramps go away.
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    P.S. sometimes taking a rest day is not an option, as in you have a scheduled event (marathon, triathlon, belt test for karate, softball game, whatever) and your period just conveniently happens to coincide. Happens to me almost EVERY time I have a half marathon, marathon, or triathlon. Just lucky, I guess? The calcium has been a Godsend for those times!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like to do hot vinyasa yoga on the days when it's bad, yoga allows you to choose the intensity of work that you do so if you feel crappy you can take it easy and if you are stressed or irritated you can work hard to relieve the stress. Also, the heat of the room really relaxes the muscles which helps with cramping, and the sweating helps with water retention. But of course sometimes I prefer to lay on the couch, eat chocolate and drink wine.....also very relaxing....trust your instincts but maybe try something new to see how it makes you feel.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have to make myself workout on PMS days but after i'm done I actually feel a little better :smile: Hope this helps!
  • JustCallMeJaz
    JustCallMeJaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Me too... I just push through it. I often feel better afterwards
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this to offend anyone, but to those who are "immobilized by the pain" for literally DAYS out of every month....have your doctors' ever offered any kind of options?

Depending where you are in life (meaning if you're planning to have kids or not, on or off birth control, etc), there is a multitude of procedures and options to make your period more tolerable. Mine tells me about new procedures almost every time I see him.

When I was younger, I had really bad cramps, so I get where you're coming from...but in this day and age...I just don't see a reason to tolerate putting your life on hold every month :noway:
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Like most the ladies here my periods suck. I go to the gym anyway, it distracts me from the uterus imploding.