Insanity Recovery Drink

Options
Does anyone here drink the Insanity/p90x Recovery drink? is it worth it or is there something else I can drink for a recovery drink

Replies

• EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i was just wondering the same thing! i'm starting turbofire tonight. i know a lot of people substitute chocolate milk and say it works!
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You can definitely substitute it for something else. I think Beachbody is a great company, but honestly, it's kind of slimy how they promote their products through their DVD's. The recovery formula is nothing special. So let's take a look at the recovery drink and what it's made of. I'm getting all this information directly from their website so you can quote me on it.

So for one container, you get 25 servings for 49.95. Macro profile in terms of calories/fat/carbs/protein is 220/1/40/10.
    They also give a bit of information on the ingredients.

"Dextrose-based formula for optimum glycogen replenishment"
    "A high Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER) blend to provide the critical building blocks for rapid muscle resynthesis"
    " A small amount of creatine to boost performance without adding bulk"

So basically, it's been said that after a workout, you pretty much have a one hour window of opportunity to deliver the necessary nutrients to your body so it can begin to regrow your worn muscle. Some would say that the perfect ratio of macronutrients is a 4:1 carb:protein ratio. Based on this fact, the recovery drink accomplishes this exactly with a 40:10 ratio (chocolate milk has a similar macronutrient profile). This being said, most would also argue that 10 grams of protein for a post workout drink isn't enough. Also, for the price they're charging, it's definitely not worth it. You can easily make your own post-workout drink for significantly cheaper, and have it be more effective as well. And I'll tell you how.

First of all, get whey protein. ON 100% Whey is one of the most trusted and well-known on the market. For about $50, you get 80 servings with around 24 grams of protein, as well as the necessary amino acid profile for muscle recovery.

Next you need a simple carbohydrate. The whole idea behind this is that a high GI carb creates an insulin spike and aids in protein synthesis. The P90X recovery drink uses dextrose, one of the highest GI carbs out there. However, you can get about a 2lbs bag of dextrose for about $5. It's really cheap. Another solution is to use gatorade powder (e.g. mix orange gatorade with vanilla whey protein). Another alternative is just to use a blender and mix your post workout shake with some fruit, such as a banana.

The recovery drink also uses "a small amount of creatine". Thing is, they don't actually tell you how much creatine is needed. You need about 5 grams of creatine for it to actually be effective. Also, creatine is one of the cheapest supplements on the market. You can get 1000 grams for about $20.

Please don't waste your money on the P90X recovery drink.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You can definitely substitute it for something else. I think Beachbody is a great company, but honestly, it's kind of slimy how they promote their products through their DVD's. The recovery formula is nothing special. So let's take a look at the recovery drink and what it's made of. I'm getting all this information directly from their website so you can quote me on it.

So for one container, you get 25 servings for 49.95. Macro profile in terms of calories/fat/carbs/protein is 220/1/40/10.

"A high Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER) blend to provide the critical building blocks for rapid muscle resynthesis"

So basically, it's been said that after a workout, you pretty much have a one hour window of opportunity to deliver the necessary nutrients to your body so it can begin to regrow your worn muscle. Some would say that the perfect ratio of macronutrients is a 4:1 carb:protein ratio. Based on this fact, the recovery drink accomplishes this exactly with a 40:10 ratio (chocolate milk has a similar macronutrient profile). This being said, most would also argue that 10 grams of protein for a post workout drink isn't enough. Also, for the price they're charging, it's definitely not worth it. You can easily make your own post-workout drink for significantly cheaper, and have it be more effective as well. And I'll tell you how.

First of all, get whey protein. ON 100% Whey is one of the most trusted and well-known on the market. For about $50, you get 80 servings with around 24 grams of protein, as well as the necessary amino acid profile for muscle recovery.

Next you need a simple carbohydrate. The whole idea behind this is that a high GI carb creates an insulin spike and aids in protein synthesis. The P90X recovery drink uses dextrose, one of the highest GI carbs out there. However, you can get about a 2lbs bag of dextrose for about $5. It's really cheap. Another solution is to use gatorade powder (e.g. mix orange gatorade with vanilla whey protein). Another alternative is just to use a blender and mix your post workout shake with some fruit, such as a banana.

The recovery drink also uses "a small amount of creatine". Thing is, they don't actually tell you how much creatine is needed. You need about 5 grams of creatine for it to actually be effective. Also, creatine is one of the cheapest supplements on the market. You can get 1000 grams for about $20.

Thanks for this information is really good I am going to go get the items that I need to make my own recovery drink
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    bump
  • caperaustin
    caperaustin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    THANKS FOR THE INFO.....I NORMALLY WORK OUT BUT I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT SO IM DOING INSANITY.....I USUALLY LIFT AND SKIP BUT THIS IS KICKING MY *kitten* SO FAR....IT WONT IN 2 WEEKS THOUGH...SO DO U DRINK THE RECOVERY DRINK AFTER EVERY WORKOUT...LIKE WHEN I USE TO DRINK A PROTEIN SHAKE AFTER THE GYM...AND STILL USE A PROTEIN SHAKE LATER....NOT SURE ON THAT..
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I drink vi shape nutritional shakes for recovery after workout. 2 scoops has 90 calories, 1 sugar, 1 fat, 12 protein, 75mg sodium
    and 100% pure deliciousness
  • kochany
    kochany Posts: 32
    Options
    check out prosource.net
  • racheybunny
    racheybunny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How much dextrose would you add to the 100% whey powder and the 5g of creatine???
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk. But you really do not need a 'recovery' drink - you can eat food.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk. But you really do not need a 'recovery' drink - you can eat food.

Chocolate almond milk and water
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

The one hour anabolic window is basically a myth perpetuated by this type of marketing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Chocolate almond milk and water

Almond milk has basically no protein. So, it depends on the preferred macros. Also, in situations where a recovery drink is needed (which does not actually have to be post workout), chocolate milk, or plain milk for than matter, has been shown to be beneficial. I have never seen anything re almond milk.
  • alexfinnarn
    Options
    "The whole idea behind this is that a high GI carb creates an insulin spike and aids in protein synthesis."

This makes no sense for weight loss as eating foods with a high GI causes your insulin levels to spike and prevents fat burning. I'm not saying to try and reduce your insulin levels so low you anemic and cranky, but to try and make them purposely spike doesn't make sense to me. IMHO, if you want to burn fat, keep your insulin levels steady.

I also like the comment about the fact that you can eat real food to recover. No need to try and concoct recovery formulas when there are plenty of cheap whole foods with those protein/fat/carb ratios out there.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I mix whey isolate with 16oz chocolate milk.
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    Insight would be wonderful on this. I'm doing the Insanity program now and headed on to month 2! Thinking I should probably start a Recovery formula or Protein, to combat the muscle fatigue I'm battling!
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I always just drink chocolate milk.. Inexpensive and does the job.
    I tried body by vi, I thought it was gross and my whey protein shakes are way better plus it's a bit over priced.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The Insanity/P90X recovery drink is basically just a blend of Waxy Maize and Whey Protein, both of which are available separately for way cheaper. The amount of protein in it is equivalent to approx. 1/2 serving of most brand name protein shake mixes and 1 serving of Waxy Maize or Dextrose.
  • mmichellea
    mmichellea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hay guys a little question i am very over weight and un fight. i have been doing a 20min p90x workout everyday for the last 8 days iv found it oan youtube so im just doing it to try boost my fitness and help me loose a few extra pounds with my diet. should u be using things for recovery or it it only for those who do the intense dvds?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    hay guys a little question i am very over weight and un fight. i have been doing a 20min p90x workout everyday for the last 8 days iv found it oan youtube so im just doing it to try boost my fitness and help me loose a few extra pounds with my diet. should u be using things for recovery or it it only for those who do the intense dvds?

What P90X workout is only 20 mins? They average an hour in length, and the warmup alone is like 15 minutes.

The recovery drink is entirely unnecessary. Eat a proper, healthy meal rich in protein, carbs and fats after completing your workout within a few hours of completing your workout and you're good to go.