Early morning breakfast before workout - suggestions?

Options
I've been getting up at 5:45 am and leaving my house at 6:30, to get to the gym at 7:10 to work out. After working out, I change, freshen up and head to the office. By 9:30/10 am I'm really feeling hungry. I've been trying to have a fruit or bowl of cereal before going to work out, but then I'm hungry. I recently added having HMR oatmeal at 8:30, which sometimes keeps me from being hungry until 10:30, but my lunch is at 11:30. What can anyone suggest for me to have for a small breakfast before and after working out. I'm new to morning workouts, I used to go after work. I'm finding it's easy to add on lots of calories by eating so much in the morning. Thanks for your suggestions!

Replies

• BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Personally, I don't like to eat much before my morning workouts. Twice a week I am up around 5:20 and at the gym by 6:00. I eat 1/2 of a banana on the way. If I eat much more than that, it makes me feel nauseous during the workout. However, if I eat nothing, I will lack energy and feel shaky. After working out, I shower and get to the office by 8:00. I bring a smoothie with me that usually has the other 1/2 of the banana, some kind of berries, Greek yogurt, protein powder, flax meal, almond milk and spinach or kale and drink that at work. That seems to tide me over until around 10-10:30 when I usually eat a grapefruit with chili powder. Then I'm good until lunch.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I am up at 5:30/at the gym by 6:15 most days, and don't like to eat before I work out. I usually just drink coffee until lunchtime at 12 - I'd rather save my calories for dinner.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I tend to not eat before my workouts if I can avoid it and eat afterwards as I am ALWAYS hungry about 30-40 minutes after I have completed it.
    So maybe you could have a piece of fruit before the gym and then have your real breakfast after the gym? So something like cereal, a smoothie, etc.?
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You need protein either before or after your workout (or both)! Eggs are great, you can have them scrambled, or keep some hard boiled eggs for on the go. Egg whites have less calories - but depending on your calorie goals you could easily eat several of them. I have a 4 egg white+2 eggs w/yolk scramble every day. I have more mass to cover though, lol.

Also protein shakes will help, I use Syntrax Matrix.
  • stacimaci
    stacimaci Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This morning I didn't eat before I worked out and I felt really lightheaded about halfway through my workout, so I don't think that is a good option for me. I could try a shake or even an egg as suggested. Thanks for your help everyone! I'm still trying to figure out what works for my body and what doesn't.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I'm like you guys. I don't eat breakfast before a morning workout. Afraid I might puke and won't feel good the rest of the day.
  • JHenryID
    JHenryID Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat a fat-burning bar on an empty stomach before exercising first thing in the morning and I make it through the workout fine with energy to spare. I often "forget" to eat for an hour or so after I finish since I'm still burning my fat.
  • LemonMint6
    Options
    Unless I can eat at least 45 min before the workout my breakfast will be super light. Like 1/2 a banana and a cup of almond milk. I also take my supplements first thing in the morning...

Roughly:
    170 cals (Supplements, Fiber, Fish Oil Caplets, Gummy Vite = 90 cals, almond milk = 30 cals, and 1/2 Banana 55ish cals.)

After a workout, I'll eat 3 eggs (at least 1 yolk, more if you have the cals) I like veg so I'd pry use that, but an apple would be good too (lots of fiber to fill you up.) And add a tablespoon of almond butter, or a handful of nuts.

I have 1785 cals a day, but generally eat more at dinner/snacks in the evening, but I workout at 4pm now. When I worked out in the morning my breakfasts were at least 500 calories (post workout.) I would eat a light lunch because of my huge breakfast eaten around 10ish, and then a normal dinner.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Normally for breakfast I'll have an EAS carb control shake and 1-2 hard boiled eggs. But I don't eat until after my morning workout. I'm not hungry and feel like crap if I eat before.

I go to SAM's and buy two dozen organic eggs and boil them all at the same time. Then I'll peel a dozen and keep a dozen in the shell (stay fresh that way). If you need to have some carbs then I suggest some fruit with the meal but you will eventually adapt to whatever you choose to do. Stick to it and eventually your body will get use to it.

Good luck!
  • zandraak
    zandraak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat a granola bar with added protein before I workout. I have to, or I don't have the energy to get through it. Then I have the second half of breakfast when I get to work.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do with 2 blender bottles the night before I work out:

Bottle 1 (pre workout):
    1 scoop whey protein
    1-2 tsp instant coffee
    Almond milk / water to taste

Bottle 2 (after workout):
    1.5 scoops whey protein
    1 tsp glutamine (I lift heavy so it helps with recovery)
    1/2 cup whole oats
    1 cup almond milk
    Sometimes some PB
    The oats will absorb the milk and be delicious in the morning. I'll drink it as I'm getting changed/showered at the gym.

In the morning just pull them out of the fridge and you're good to go.