Weight Loss Stall - Too much sodium?

Options
My goal is to lose 100 lbs in a year. I'm currently 277. I started at 280. Last week I was 276. I'm 5'11. So, I've gained a pound this week. I'm fairly new to this getting healthy thing. I know that there are several factors that could cause this gain and since it's not a significant gain and I'm trying not to freak out, but it's still discouraging. I'm staying under my calories each day. Not by too much though, no more than 100 calories. Last week when I started this journey I was unemployed. Therefore, I was at home most of the time and ate my meals at home. At the same time I was a lot less active. This week I started a new job where I'm on my feet all day. I also do a good bit of walking to and from trains and climb stairs instead of taking the escalator to get to work. However, I've been eating my meals from restaurants. I choose the healthier options that stay at my calorie goal - grilled chicken, light dressings on the side, etc. But, I know that my sodium intake has gone way up because I'm eating at restaurants and not at home. I could take food, but there's not a refrigerator at work, so I really don't know what to take that will be filling enough to get me through the work day that doesn't have to be refrigerated. Also, it's my "time of the month" (sorry for TMI). So, with the increased sodium intake and the monthly joy of being a woman, could this be the reason for the pound weight gain? I was under the impression that because I was so overweight the weight would come off more quickly in the beginning, therefore I'm not very impressed with my results so far. Ideas?

Replies

• ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You've hit 2 key factors - monthly visitor, possible water retention due to higher sodium intake, and I'll add water retention due to increased activity as your muscles store water and other nutrients to repair themselves. Since you're having progress, continue doing what you're doing for now. you may need to increase your calorie intake since you're activity level has increased and this link has a good tutorial for calculating your calories goal: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12. Also drinking plenty of water will help reduce the water retention.

As for lunch, you can purchase ice packs for your lunch box that'll keep things cool during your morning and commute.
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Some people are sensitive to sodium, some aren't. If I eat something like Chinese, I will be up as much as 5 pounds the next morning, but it goes away within a day or two. I drink a TON of water, so I don't worry about higher sodium in packaged meals or from eating out for the most part. The "monthly visitor" is the more likely culprit of your gain. I have gone up as much as 7 pounds from that. Also, everyone says if you are big you lose faster, but I started at 340 and have always lost around 1.5 per week on average. Yes, it's "slow" and it's frustrating to see people who can lose 2+ consistently, but I figure as long as I'm losing that I'll take what I can get and I'll get to goal eventually.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    go buy yourself one of those cool lunch kits that fitness competiors use they come with compartments & ice paks, you can pack your food in the am and would be good all day, chicken breast, tunafish, small salads, healthy sandwichs almond butter whole wheat bread , sugar free jam, all sorts of great healthy food you can pack that way you have control of your food for the day , lowing your sodium i average 900mg's a day right now
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Some people are sensitive to sodium, some aren't. If I eat something like Chinese, I will be up as much as 5 pounds the next morning, but it goes away within a day or two. I drink a TON of water, so I don't worry about higher sodium in packaged meals or from eating out for the most part. The "monthly visitor" is the more likely culprit of your gain. I have gone up as much as 7 pounds from that. Also, everyone says if you are big you lose faster, but I started at 340 and have always lost around 1.5 per week on average. Yes, it's "slow" and it's frustrating to see people who can lose 2+ consistently, but I figure as long as I'm losing that I'll take what I can get and I'll get to goal eventually.

^^This^^

and get a fun and stylish lunch cooler bag to pack some healthy snacks and lunches =)
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    If you started last week, you're not in a stall. Please wait 3 weeks before panicking about plateauing. There are lots of critical elements to weight loss, but one of the top ones is consistency. Your body's gonna do all kinds of crazy stuff & you just gotta keep on keepin' on with a strategy that you think will work. Adjust as necessary, but you HAVE to stick with something a few weeks to know if it is working or not.

Sodium will affect your day to day weight, but it won't cause a stall over a long period of time. Calories (too many or too little) and metabolism (too few calories for too long) are the only things that are going to cause you to stall.
  • sjh8403
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful tips everyone!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Some people say (and I agree it's probably quite possible) that the calories restaurants put for their meals are under estimated by a good bit. They don't carefully measure each ingredient out, they just splash it together so they don't actually put in the amounts that the recipe is technically supposed to have which is what the calories were calculated from.