Spagetti squash?

Options
I have been craving spagetti squash! Lately I am like obsessed with it! Good thing its good for me! haha I am looking for some good recipes and was wondering what some of MFP friends do with it?? Looking forward to it!

Replies

• auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    No recipes here, but I would love to know what others do with it and if there is a quick way to get the "spaghetti" out of the squash.
  • 1jobean
    Options
    Quick way is cut in half take the seeds out put upsidedown on a plate with a little water on it to keep it from drying out and microwave until you can press in the outside like a done baked potato. As for recipies I just serve with tomato sauce.
  • stongjos
    stongjos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I recently wrote a post with the title: I just pigged out for less than 200 calories... for dinner!!!

This was my post:

I ate spaghetti squash with veggie sauce!

I put 2 servings of this sauce on half a spaghetti squash (cooked 12 minutes in the microwave)

Less than 200 calories, and I'm so full I couldn't eat a piece of Brownie if it was right in front of me!!! Well... maybe I could...

Here's the recipe:

1/2 a bag of Arctic Garden's spaghetti vegetable mix (carrots, celeri, onions and green pepper)
    1 tablespoon of butter for frying the vegetables
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 can of tomato soup
    2 teaspoons of sugar
    75 grams of dry TVP (texturized vegetable protein)
    season to taste

makes 11 servings

Some people recommended to use fresh tomatoes, instead of the canned ones and sundried tomatoes along with plain yogurt instead of the canned soup.

Good luck!!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I nuke like mentioned above, then hold the cooked half (I cut mine in half from side to side, rather than end to end) in my OVEGLOVED hand (I seriously love that thing). I run a large stiff spoon around the edge, and most of it just falls out.

We use bulk sausage mixed with Organic jarred sauce, and really, REALLY like it.

Have been thinking of using it as a fettucini-type noodle with some sauteed shrimp and garlic. (Would need to really strain the water out!)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Its pretty awesome with an Alfredo style sauce and some chunks of chicken. Yum.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    My favorite way is very simple... just butter, garlic and Parmesan cheese.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Pad Thai!
  • never124get
    Options
    A food blog I found called skinnytaste.com has tons of spaghetti squast and plenty of healthy recipes all listed on her site!! They all look so good! http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/5 PP <--- I pulled one up for you...just follow the link :) It makes about 7 servings, so leftovers!! (but you could definitely modify it for your family or just yourself I'm sure.) :happy: and a serving is 1 cup, if you are interested in weight watchers (not sure if you care or not) but it's 5 points on the new points plus system, calories is 165 a serving, fat 8g, protein 10g, carbs 16g, fiber 2g, sugars 6.5g, and sodium (kinda high) at 278.5mg
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I like to just spray it with a little Butter or Olive Oil and sprinkle on some Spice. I am NOT much of a Cook:blushing:
    You can also top it with your Favorite bottled or canned Spaghetti Sauce.

But I DO Love Spaghetti Squash and I don't know of any Restaurants around here that serve it.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a recipe... I just do olive oil, garlic, sauted mushrooms & zucchini and maybe a bit of parmesan or feta. I used to add bacon before counting calories ;)
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I find it's a great low-carb pasta alternative for almost any dish with a sauce. I served it with a tomato-based spaghetti sauce to non-dieting friends, and they thought it was really tasty. Gotta try an Alfredo version!

On a similar note, you can use thinly sliced zucchini (lightly microwaved after slicing) as a substitute for the noodles in any lasagne recipe.
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I LOVE these two recipes:

Martha Stewart's roasted shrimp with spaghetti squash: http://www.marthastewart.com/313375/roasted-shrimp-with-spaghetti-squash#

Skinny Taste's baked spaghetti squash with cheese: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/baked-spaghetti-squash-and-cheese.html
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's great in virtually any dish that you would use pasta. With a tomato sauce base, a pesto base, an alfredo base, an olive oil and parm base, a garlic herb base, it really does well with them all. Take some of your favorite pasta recipes and sub the spaghetti squash and see how you like the sub. :bigsmile:
  • popo0509
    popo0509 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    No recipes here, but I would love to know what others do with it and if there is a quick way to get the "spaghetti" out of the squash.

Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds then place face down on a cookie sheet lined with foil and bake on 375 for about 30 minutes or so. Let it cool until you can handle it then take a fork and rake out the "spaghetti" strands.

I made baked chicken Parmesan and used this as the "pasta." I was awesome! What would normally be 500+ calories was only about 350.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    1. Preheat oven to 350. Cut Spaghetti Squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place cut side dwon in a 7 x 11 baking dish, add water to 1/2 inch depth. Cover with foil and bake until tender. (about 45 minutes) Remove squash from water and let stand until cool. With a fork scrap out the pulp and transfer pulp into medium bowl.
    2. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add 2 scallion thinly sliced and 2 garlic cloves minced. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minutes. Add 1/2 cup veggie broth, 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Add 12 fresh asparagus cut into 2 inch diagonal lengths. Add one cup frozen peas. reduce heat and cook 2 min. Stir in the pulp. Cook about 3 more minutes.

(its from an old Weight Watchers cookbook)
  • heathermarnold
    heathermarnold Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe I'm using for tonight's dinner!

Ingredients
    1 medium sized spaghetti squash
    1 tbsp butter
    2½ tbsp flour(whole grain is fine)
    2-3 cloves of garlic, very finely minced, grated or pressed
    1 tbsp cream cheese(low fat is fine)
    1½ C milk(low fat is fine)
    1 C freshly grated, not packed Parmesan cheese(about 60g or 2.1oz), plus 2 tbsp extra for topping
    ¼ tsp salt
    Instructions
    First prep the spaghetti squash. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash in half using a large sharp knife, scoop out the seeds and place cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet covered with water. Bake until tender, about an hour Alternatively, keep the spaghetti squash whole. Poke a few holes deep into the squash with a large knife. Place in the oven whole. Bake for 60 minutes, remove from the oven and let rest for 10 to 20 minutes before slicing in half with a large serrated knife like a bread knife. Scoop out the seedy inside leaving the spaghetti strands. Once cooked, use a fork to gently scrape the “spaghetti” strands into the center.
    For the sauce, melt the butter in a small pot. Once hot add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes over medium low heat. Add the flour and whisk into the butter. Cook for another minute while stirring. Add the cream cheese, warm it up and stir it in to the butter mixture.
    Add the milk and whisk well. Bring up to a gentle simmer then remove from the heat. Add the freshly grated cheese and salt and stir until melted, just a minute or two. Pour half the sauce into each spaghetti squash half(or less if using a smaller squash). Gently stir to combine. Top with an extra sprinkle of Parmesan and place under the broiler of your oven for 2-3 minutes until golden and bubbly. Serve immediately.
    Nutrition Information
    Serving size: Half the recipe(approx. 3C spaghetti squash with half the recipe of sauce) Calories: 428 Fat: 17g Saturated fat: 10g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 43g Sodium: 990mg Fiber: 8g Protein: 22g Cholesterol: 49mg
  • KathyC89
    KathyC89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After cooking squash, saute onions, bell peppers with a little olive oil, then put in a few grape tomatoes and spaghetti squash, Italian seasoning, sliced black olives, stir and mix well. Sprinkle parmesan or feta cheese on top.