Almonds - bad?

Options
Is it all about the calories?? I'm trying to stick to my plan, but when I had a cup of almonds, counted 800+ calories. With all
the protein and dietary fiber, doesn't seem like it's right.... am I to believe that a Whopper or Big Mac is about the same as a cup of almonds?? I thought more protein was better than carbs? (which if not used, turns to fat)

Replies

• fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Almonds are good.
    They have protein, fiber and healthy fats.
    But a standard 160-calorie serving size (at least of the Blue Diamond natural almonds I eat) is only 24 nuts.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately nuts are high in calories so they are probably eaten best in moderation. They are a source of healthy fat and are way better for you than a Big Mac or Whopper.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    (which if not used, turns to fat)

this is not true.

fat is caused by an overabundance of calories. You can get just as fat overeating protein as you can overeating carbs.
  • carbar90
    carbar90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Almonds do have a lot of calories but they are good for you. I eat about 10-20 at a time and it's about 70-140 calories for 10 to 20. Almonds have "good fat" in them which makes them good for you, and can also help lower you LDL or "bad cholesterol". Keep eating almonds but in moderation.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Almonds are good.
    They have protein, fiber and healthy fats.
    But a standard 160-calorie serving size (at least of the Blue Diamond natural almonds I eat) is only 24 nuts.

^^^^^^

This.

You can live on figs, almonds, and lentils because they have so many calories. They are nutritious, but calorie dense. Its' all about portion size.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Is it all about the calories?? I'm trying to stick to my plan, but when I had a cup of almonds, counted 800+ calories.

Same reason you should eat peanut butter in moderation if you're watching calories. It's really healthy food but high in calories due to the fats. Like others said they're healthy fats that are good for you.

Just have a serving or two of about 24 nuts. Makes a good snack.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    you ate a cup of almonds?

Although nuts are very nutritious, they are extremely high in fat. Almonds are one of the lowest cal nuts out there, but still they are mostly fat. FYI, one serving of nuts is about 1 oz, so 1/8th of a cup. In 1 oz, which is 28 grams, about 15 grams of that is fat.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    While that many almonds would be the same amount of calories as a Whopper, they are much healthier for you. They are full of healthy fats, a good source of protein and fiber as well.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Almonds are good for you. They are also high in calories. These 2 things are not mutually exclusive.

You just have to decide how many calories you want to eat in almonds. I often put some freshly toasted unsalted almonds into my 0% Fage yogurt.

It is necessary to have FAT in order for calcium and most nutrients to be absorbed properly. And good fats are good for you. I weigh them on the food scale and measure the portion before I eat it. I do alternate with other nuts -- hazelnuts, pecans, cashews, pistachios (all unsalted and untoasted, they are so much tastier when you toast them yourself and they are fresh).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Almonds are very nutritious...heart healthy fats, fiber, potassium, etc. But they are high in calories (namely because they are high in fat). I wouldn't recommend a cup of almonds as a snack...I have about 1 Oz for a snack.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I usually don't each more then a palm full. Almonds are very good for you but yes they are energy dense. Also there is no link to dietary fat causing body fat. There are a lot of low carbers that routinely consume 80% of their calories from fat and still lose plenty of weight and can usually go long periods without getting hungry.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    When you buy nuts (or other calorie dense foods), if you have a hard time with portions, look at the back, then open the package and use little baggies to apportion the entire package into one portion units. Then, when you eat it, you know you are eating one portion and that number of calories. I love nuts and this is the only way I can keep them in my home. Otherwise, I eat too many. This way, I stop when I have finished my baggie.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, no. Dietary fat is good. If you're eating clean or whatever you want to call it, yes.

http://www.cornucopia.org/almond/Almond_Fact_Sheet.pdf
  • XXbrendaXX
    Options
    Almonds are great for you....in moderation. A serving is 24 nuts at 160 calories. I eat them almost daily, but never more than a serving a day, which I usually break into two snacks of 12 almonds each.
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, the general consensus is correct. Almonds are good for you, but in moderation. Remember, the quality of the calories is just as important as the amount. (ie a whopper is full of preservatives and processed food products while an almond is full of good fats and protiens)
    Good fats (unsaturated or monosaturated fats) are the high density lipids (HDLs) they help remove the low density lipids (LDLs). LDLs are the ones that can build up in your arteries and causing plaque build up which can break free and form clots which can block up arteries and cause heart attacks and strokes.
  • colorslide
    colorslide Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Almonds are good for you. They contain healthy fats which are some of the vital nutrients we need to live. Not to get on a rant, but I have to say this and please note I'm not advocating to eat a high fat diet, but think about it... We are the fattest country in the world and yet we also eat the most low-fat diet foods. Fat helps with many functions in the body so don't avoid the good fats! Olive oil, nuts, salmon, etc. Just make sure you're eating the correct portion sizes.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, no. Dietary fat is good. If you're eating clean or whatever you want to call it, yes.

http://www.cornucopia.org/almond/Almond_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Nope - clean eaters eat nuts all the time!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,013 Member
    Options
    Magnesium. You need it, almonds are high in it.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    a cup of almonds is alotta almonds!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    i love my 100 calorie pack of almonds i eat every day. It would be way too easy to nibble away at an entire can..the prepackaged portions are a lifesaver and you know you're getting a healthy snack.