Diet Coke and Loosing Weight

Options
44rkyle
44rkyle Posts: 11 Member
Who has had success in additional weight loss after you stopped drinking diet coke or any other diet drink?

Replies

• grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Drinking diet soda has had no impact on my weight loss or gain. For me, it does not trigger sugar attacks nor does it make me hungrier. I think each person must have a different reaction to this, but personally I DID NOT lose any additional weight by not drinking it.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    Options
    Im not a pop drinker anyway but i've had several friends stop drinking diet drinks and weight practically melts off of them. I am sure it does depend on the person :)
  • tmarcus2
    Options
    The first time I ever lost any significant weight it was switching to diet drinks. I lost about 10 lbs, down to around 210 within 6 weeks. I didn't change anything else. It's about the calories when you are trying to take weight off and diet drinks have zero.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I've been ripped and still drank diet sodas...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy diet Coke, then drink it. Don't let the food police scare you or make you feel guilty.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has had zero impact on my weight loss. I pretty religiously hit a 500-550 calorie deficit, and average 1 lb/week weight loss. That's with drinking tons of diet soda.

Can't imagine cutting out the diet soda would change my weight loss.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Im not a pop drinker anyway but i've had several friends stop drinking diet drinks and weight practically melts off of them. I am sure it does depend on the person :)

Correlation, not causation. When those people cut out diet sodas, they no doubt also paid more attention to the other things that they consumed. This leads to eating less and therefore weight loss.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a LOT of diet coke and spent 7 years trying to figure out why I was gaining so much weight, and why my stomach was always hurting. After about 23 doctors, all sorts of probing and testing, my mom suggested giving up the diet coke. I did and nothing changed. Then I realized I was still eating a lot of artificially sweetened stuff, like WW products. I gave those up and within 3 weeks all of my stomach problems were GONE. The weight did not fall off, but my body felt so much better.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    I cut all soda/fast food out of my life in Jan 2011, I dropped 30 pounds and about 6 inches.

This is with no other lifestyle change other than cutting soda/fast food
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pop every day. It has had no negative effects on my weight loss.
  • guzzlingil
    Options
    I gave them up for Lent.....and hopefully forever....I will let you know if it has any impact on weight loss...
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Correlation, not causation. When those people cut out diet sodas, they no doubt also paid more attention to the other things that they consumed. This leads to eating less and therefore weight loss.

This!

Diet pop or other diet drinks will not cause you to gain weight. They are zero calories. Gaining weight comes from consuming more calories than you use.

Cutting out diet pop or other diet drinks will not make you lose weight any faster if you changed nothing else. It may make you lose an inch or two around your waist if you get cloated due to carbination.

I drink diet pop almost daily.. I always have some in my fridge. They work for me because they give me something sweet and stop me from snacking.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I cut all soda/fast food out of my life in Jan 2011, I dropped 30 pounds and about 6 inches.

This is with no other lifestyle change other than cutting soda/fast food

The weight loss would be due to cutting out fast food if you were drinking diet pops... if you were drinking regular that can cause weight loss though.
  • jontay81
    jontay81 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You'll hear about a lot of studies linking diet soda with problems like diabetes. They almost always are a case of correlation and not causation. Diabetics are more likely to drink diet soda because they have to be careful with sugar intake. This example and others are perpetuated by lazy journalists on slow news days.

Here's a news article from this week. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/20/health-dietdrinks-idUSL4N0BK0GG20130220

However, with any news article about science, ignore it and read the actual publication instead: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/3/604
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I find diet coke harder to give up than food :( I know I should drink less x
  • G_RRR
    G_RRR Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I gave them up for Lent.....and hopefully forever....I will let you know if it has any impact on weight loss...

Me too!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    You'll hear about a lot of studies linking diet soda with problems like diabetes. They almost always are a case of correlation and not causation. Diabetics are more likely to drink diet soda because they have to be careful with sugar intake. This example and others are perpetuated by lazy journalists on slow news days.

Here's a news article from this week. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/20/health-dietdrinks-idUSL4N0BK0GG20130220

However, with any news article about science, ignore it and read the actual publication instead: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/3/604

Also, people think if I drink diet coke it will balance out this birthday cake I am about to eat.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big soda drinker. I preferred diet dr. pepper over Diet Coke. I sometimes would drink a whole six pack a day. If I didn't drink for a day, I would get really bad headaches from caffeine withdrawal. I then switched to caffeine free and then about a year ago I stopped drinking soda entirely. Now, I mostly just drink water (and lots of it) and nonfat milk. I feel tons better and no more caffeine withdrawal headaches. I made a decision to live healthier while losing weight and exercising. In the past year, I have lost 160 pounds from 405 pounds to 245 pounds (6-0 male, age 38). Abstaining from soda is just one of the many things that I have done to try to live healthier. I feel so much better.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think its about moderation. If you a person is drinking 48 oz of diet anything they are most likely drinking little plain water. Water is essential to weight loss right?
  • leaderzzz
    leaderzzz Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find diet coke harder to give up than food :( I know I should drink less x

Here here!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!