losing my mind!!!

So for 20 days now I have been counting calories. At first I wasn't doing so hot, I admit, I would eat not so great foods but remain under the caloric number. Now I have decided to nix the Prozac that I have been on for many years. I am weaning down from 80mgs to 40mgs to 20mgs slowly. I worked out at first, but lost my motivation. I suffer from fibromyalgia and get tired easy. I need to start burning calories and just work out!!! I know that...but in the last 20 days I have gained five pounds!!!!!!! and I feel so bloated and like I am nine months pregnant!!! Uncomfortable is not a word for this....I hide in my house and don't want to get dressed!! nothing fits anymore! I am eating the right foods, I will make my diary viewable so you can remark at what I eat, I did notice to much sodium but I don't know what the daily recommend is... Some words of encouragement would help? anyone who got off Prozac and gained weight?

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    how much are you eating each day? (maybe not enough or too much, but cannot see your diary)

Do you get enough fiber and have regular BMs? The bloating could be gas or caused by constipation
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    weight gain coming off prozac could make sense for some of the weight gain, you could also just be holding a lot of water for some reason. Serotonin is a funny NT and people react differently to different SSRIs

are you doing a self imposed weaning? typically with fluoxetine it has a several week half life so it doesn't have to be weaned, this may not be the case with fibromyalgia - but I am not super familiar so I def could be wrong here.

Just dont get discouraged - keep consistent, maybe re-evaluate after a longer period - or try reducing your calories a bit more, the estimate on this site can definitely be off. It estimates like 2700 for me to lose a pound a week and I have found its really closer to 2200-2300. Gotta play around with it
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    how much are you eating each day? (maybe not enough or too much, but cannot see your diary)

Do you get enough fiber and have regular BMs? The bloating could be gas or caused by constipation

yeah was also gonna ask about fiber - I also didn't check your age, but could be menstrual bloating as well
  • papayamischief
    papayamischief Posts: 7 Member
    I went off of prozac (40mg) in 2009, and gained about 15lbs. I don't know what reason specifically, it was a while ago and I wasn't tracking it, but I did gain some weight. Also, I feel you with the fibro bit. I have it too, and I find it's hard for me to work out. I've learned that I have to stretch gently for about 20 minutes before I can start warming up and exercising. It adds in some time, but it's worth it to not be as stiff. Similarly, I take more time cooling down, and do more stretches when I'm done exercising. I've found that that helps a lot with the stiffness and pain.
    I hope this helps.
    Other than that, talk to your doctor and see what she/he says about it.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Well the five lbs gain.. is probably due to your bloat.

I take fiber pills to help with the bloating.
  • 220orLESS
    220orLESS Posts: 5 Member
    The daily recommended sodium is 2300mg or less, unless you have risk factors.
  • brian1383
    brian1383 Posts: 39 Member
    Fybromyalgia is tough. Not fun having pain you can't really describe or isolate. Weight gain (or sometimes weight loss) is common when coming off SRIs and other meds. It will even out. Just be patient and know it's a temporary side effect. No one coming off Prozac every gained 1000lbs and burst! :) Just be strong and hang in there for a few more weeks.

Walking and swimming are good for your fibromyalgia. So are exercise bands (which I NEVER thought I'd use, but do regularly now). Try those to keep up the exercise.