x43tzc.jpg

2dsn7zl.jpg

SW: 296lbs
CW:237lbs
total lost so far 59lbs
height 5'10"

3xl shirt to xl----new xl shirt in the pic
size 46 pant to 36

Coming up on 6 months into this journey. August 27th 2012...this is the day my life changed. I had taught a class to some kids about my police department earlier in the month at our library. On the 27th I received a flier of the class that the library was sending out in it's newsletter and it had the first pic you see in it. Needless to say I was embarrassed by how I looked in the picture...that is the day I choose to do something else. I first started writing all my foods in a notebook and looking on the internet for the nutritional info...I scared the crap out of myself because for once in my life I was honest to my self of the calories I was consuming in a day. I thought damn there has to be a better way to keep track of these calories and did a quick search and found MFP. Used it on the smartphone to start with, then came to the website and started adding friends and haven't looked back...well that is not totally true...I have looked back daily to the first pic to remind me of where I NEVER want to return to. I have never been a runner but started the C25K at Christmas. It's slow going but I have been repeating weeks until I get to the speed I want then move forward at a slower pace on the treadmill and then build up the speed...I am a runner and will be a better runner in a year from now. Going to do my first 5K in June 2013...I used to think you only ran if you were being chased by a bear...LOL.
Things I found out along the way here on MFP...how much I really lied to myself when eating...how much I lied to myself about my size....how just "tweaking" normal food to the healthier side can really make a difference...how many calories bread and tortillas have in them and how many better choices there are for bread...how much my wife, kids, family and friends paid attention to me. A lot of them have seen something in me I didnt know I had and it has inspired them to come along on this journey with me.
My Birthday was this past Sunday...turned 45...had a rough weekend mentally...Whereas I am seeing successes along the way but my brain got stuck in "you suck at this" mode. There was never a chance of quitting this journey...I just got stuck mentally. And that is where all my friends on MFP came into play. I have been supporting all my friends on here daily since I started and when I needed them most they all stepped up and supported me...THEY ARE A WONDERFUL GROUP. Two quotes that got me through those days were...."Challenge is life's way of making sure that you truly desire the things you achieve" & “It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” ~Sir Edmund...well enough about me...I hope everyone has the success they desire with their goals!!!

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    This is incredibly inspirational.

Thanks for all you do, btw. :bigsmile:
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wow you look incredible and much younger! Congrats on all of your hard work!
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Love your story! LOOKIN GOOD! Congrats :drinker:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You're doing awesome - and I'm right behind ya - 44 and feeling better than ever!! :drinker: Glad to have you as an MFP friend!
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    66 years old and in better shape than ever. W2B!!

21604338.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YOU LOOK GREAT!, and i have to say i am 41, and this is the best that i have felt ever too!
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! You look great, but more importantly your attitude is so healthy! I am 43 and also in the best shape of my adult life. Your story is inspirational. Be proud of yourself and celebrate your successes!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Looking good man, us 40+ cats still got it going on!
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • mathildapops
    mathildapops Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Incredibally inspirational!
    I turned 40 yesterday and funnily enough decided to re evaluate my life. I am now setting myself small goals, the most important one is abstaining from alcohol! I drink far too much and it makes me ill! I'm going to do it initially for a month and take it from there.
    I read your posts every day and sometimes they give me a much needed boost :smile:
    Thank you x
  • Amazing story! You are an inspiration!
  • Queenb1212
    Queenb1212 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You look great, WTG!!!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Nice job Pardner!
  • MedinaR66
    Options
    Oh wow! So proud of you!!
    I just started a fitness class in college. I'm 46. I have a few classes left for my Associates in Criminal Justice. I would like to get my Bachelors. I've been working towards this goal for 3 years and am holding a 4.0. I didn't do that well in school as a kid. I realized that it was my determination to do the very best that I can because it's what I have desired for so long.
    I didn't start out healthy before college and my weight has skyrocketed towards 200. This is the biggest I've ever been and I hate it. I walk by a mirror and I am disgusted with myself. 140 lbs used to be my trigger to check myself. I desire to be there again.
    So I say to myself, if I can have the determination to do my best in school, I can do my best with getting healthier.
    It's been 4 weeks since I've started walking 3 times a week. Now he's instructed us to get our heartrate up to the required level. He's asked us to list at least one change that we have made. I have tried to use corn tortillas instead of bread, saying no to the Taco Bell (100 % successful at that so far), tried not to eat as much or past 7:00 and saying no to a lot of junk at the front registers. I have not gone hungry and I've seen 6 lbs off. I'm motivated!
    I could lie to my health teacher and fake my info but I would be cheating myself and cheating in the course. I have not cheated in any of my classes and I'm not going to do that now.
    I am inspired by your journey and I also desire to run in a race or marathon one day.
    Would love to make you myfitnesspal friend (with your wife's blessing of course)
    God bless
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    That's my pal, the Great Fireman!
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Excellent job..you look fantastic.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have tried to use corn tortillas instead of bread, saying no to the Taco Bell (100 % successful at that so far), tried not to eat as much or past 7:00 and saying no to a lot of junk at the front registers. I have not gone hungry and I've seen 6 lbs off. I'm motivated!

I still eat everything I did before but in moderation and with some of the tweaking I wrote about. Taco Bell...order them "fresco" style, this means no cheese and they add the pico salsa instead. I eat three beef soft tacos fresco style for 540cals. Pizza Hut...have the thin crust and the salad bar. Wendy's...lose the top bun on anything you get, that is around 100cals off that sandwich right there.
  • seamanny
    seamanny Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You look great and thanks so much for sharing your story! Keep up the good work!
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Great Job!
  • firecopfl
    firecopfl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You're doing great my friend and an inspiration. I have enjoyed following your progress.... It helps me keep focused on mine.... Keep up the fight.....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!