Being asked how much weight you've lost

Options
I was just in the elevator with someone I work with on an infrequent basis. She commented on my weight loss, which I took as a nice compliment, but then she followed it up with "so, how many pounds have you lost?" Rude or not? I mean, I broadcast that number on my ticker here on the site, so it's not like it's kept under wraps, but it did kind of take me by surprise to be asked so directly.

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Yeah I never really know how to take it when people ask - Its funny I always thought when I lost weight I would love to tell people the numbers etc. But it just feels really awkward to me when people ask now

maybe we are weird :P
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I always feel a little uncomfortable when someone asks me, too, but I've made it a point to answer honestly. I feel like I should learn to be pround of the changes I've made and maybe it will encouarge others, but I am still learning to love and accept myself in this journey.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think it is just asked out of curiosity and don't think it's rude. And I'm proud to tell people how much I have lost. Yes, I was THAT big...but it is what it is and I am working on it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    IDK people are stupid when it comes to weight loss. Tell em rub it in a little be proud.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree about feeling uncomfortable when people ask me directly how much I have lost. It's a fine line to walk when we do use a public forum to track our eating and our weight loss. But there is just something about someone asking you directly that kind of chafes on me., It makes me feel like I am under a microscope, or being judged. And I feel like I am being watched to see if I am going to mess up or fail. So I don't like to give a direct answer. I usually say that I am doing good, taking it slow, etc.
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Id take it as a compliment, Nice to see people notice the hard work you have been doing. Its not going unseen.
  • bazel25_99
    bazel25_99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's normal for people to be curious. If it was a significant amount of weight and it shows, I have no problem saying how much it was. It's not like they know how much my current weight is or was. At least they notice, perhaps want to have the same success.
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's uncomfortable. I think it's just the only follow up question ppl think of when the start talking about weight loss. My favorite is when ppl comment on my weight loss when I haven't lost in a few months (due to poor food decisions on my part. I own that) I think they make these comments b/c they are aware that I work out every morning before work but they don't realize that weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise. anyways, I digress.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    yep, I just got asked the same question this morning and it kind of annoys me and I don't know why....I usually tell them and then the next response is always, "are you done now?" I HATE THAT! Just leave me alone haha
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of the weight I lost -- I make an effort not to volunteer that info.

So it did not even occur to me that it could be an uncomfortable question for someone. I'd assume they would be glad to share! :o
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I always feel really awkward when it comes down to the actual number but I know people asking don't think of it that way. Before I gained a bunch of weight, I would ask the same question. Not out of rudeness but just curiosity and admiration. I didn't realize until I gained a bunch of weight what it felt like.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I always feel awkward about that too and just realized it after reading this--one thing is, that for me, I can lose up to 25 pounds and most people no be able to tell a difference at all. So maybe I'm sensitive about that....
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'm always proud of how much I've lost! And I usually tell people before they get the chance to ask haha. But I am a very open person in general. I don't get embarrassed easy.
  • SylentZee
    Options
    I don't think it's rude because it normally transitions into a healthy conversation.
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I would take weight lost being noticed at this point...lol!!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Um, sounds like she was just complimenting you and was curious about your progress. Best not to look too much into it.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Actually...I like it when people ask. The number I give them is less then what they think. That gives me the opportunity to stress to them (its always someone who also needs to lose weight) the importance of lifting while losing weight!
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    People don't usually ask me if I've lost weight at all, much less how much I've lost, but whenever they ask I'm beyond proud to tell them!

I want to shout it from the roof tops and I'm not even at my goal yet or making some massive accomplishments as other people are on this site.

I'VE LOST OVER 40 POUNDS AND I'M DAMN PROUD OF IT!!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    you should say how much you lost with pride
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    I don't know if its rude but I, for some strange reason, feel uncomfortable when people take notice or discuss it. While they look surprised and generally happy, its kind of awkward. *shrugs*