Carbs/Fat/Protein Goals

Options
xxghost
xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
Hey all. I know that that there have been quite a few topics about this, but I haven't found much that applies to me directly. So I thought I'd ask.

My current weight is about 250. My goal is 199. I'm currently set to lose about 1.5 pounds a week. I'm 6 foot tall.

I'm doing cardio every day. I'm not really focusing on toning too much, though I do strength and core workouts a few times a week. Nothing serious though.

Anyway, my goals are what MFP originally set for me (55/30/15) but I feel like I really need to decrease my carbs and bump up my protein.

Any recommendations on what exactly I should set my goals as?

Replies

• kgoodman0108
    Options
    I'm currently doing low carb. I'm still tweaking my ratios and trying to find the right balance for me. I'm doing 10/30/60 (I also keep an eye on my calories). I've been trying to stay under 20 carbs a day (which is induction phase on Atkins), but I'm having a REALLY hard time. I'm thinking about trying for around 40 a day, and see how that goes.

If you decide to do low carb, I would suggest staying under 50 carbs to see how that works, and then tweak as needed.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you're not doing any real strength training it doesn't really matter that much. You should focus on your calorie goals, though I would suggest you shoot for 100g of protein a day. The rest can come from whatever.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I had my macros set for 40/30/30 but recently changed them to 30/35/35 and I find this works much better for me. My focus is on strength training, which I do 3x a week and I do cardio (mainly HIIT) 5-6 times a week.

The weight is coming off super slowly but I'm losing inches pretty consistently so I think tweaking my macros has helped with that!
  • cariie
    cariie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    it depends on a lot of things but going under 50 isnt really a good idea in my opinion.

if you tweak make sure you tweak your protein up and your carbs down.

Sources of Good protein that dont have fat and relatively few calories.

PB2--this stuff is amazing. http://www.bellplantation.com/ I buy mine on amazon. Its 45 calories in 2 tbsp (you add 1 tbsp of water) but 4-5 g of protein!!! thats awesome stuff! I use it in shakes and other stuff.

If you are eating a lot of protein bars and stuff just look for one that has the lowest number of carbs and the highest number of protein.

You will find a good rhythm eventually and I would advise stepping down the carb side because a big jump can be really hard. Foods that are low in carbs, low in calories and high in protein are hard to come by and it can be a real struggle. Feel free to message me or chat me up on fb if you want to talk more about this! :)
  • prisan512
    prisan512 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey all... Well to start I tweaked mine a few times, and settled with 15/60/25... I try to get 50-100g of carbs a day, but only healthy natural carbs. Which come from fruits, veggies, and nuts, etc. The fat I eat is all natural, and healthy fats as well. Comes from the meats, avocados, oils (coconut, olive), and for proteins I mostly eat organic vegetarian fed chickens, beef once in a while but not corn fed, lean pork once in a while, and love seafood (just the wild caught ones, no farmed fish for me) and EGGS too! Plus I eat pistachios, cashews, almonds, not peanuts though.
    This is primal pretty much, or paleo for some. I do sometimes, once a week or two weeks eat a piece of cheese or something. I am not forbidding myself from anything, because I know that the processed foods may taste good, but they always give me negative side effects. Tired, lethargy, bloated, knees hurt, or other body parts, etc.

Hope this helps!

Add me if you would like!