extended plateau? I need help.

Options
Here's the story. I started this journey in January and was doing FANTASTIC for the first 6 weeks. I had managed to lose over 2lbs a week for a grand total of 15 lbs lost. Yay!! Then mid-February I broke my wrist while snowboarding. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to workout like before, so I took it easy, healing and watching what I ate. I gained no weight! This was a huge success for me as I usually gain weight during stressful times. I had surgery on March 4. Obviously I could not do any strength training, so I focused on the cardio and just maintaining my weight. By April, I was back into the regular routine of working out. I am sticking to a 1200 cal diet, and eating my exercise cals (mostly). To date, I have only lost 2 more lbs....in 2 MONTHS!! What the heck? I am glad that I lost 17lbs, but was expecting the trend to continue since I have another 30lbs to lose.

I was doing Power 90 and thought that maybe it was time to change my routine, so I started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. Nothing. Well, not entirely nothing, My clothes may be slightly looser...but nothing significant.

I understand that I need to mix things up. I understand that if I burn more calories than I eat, I should lose over time. I understand that plateaus happen.... what I don't understand is "how could I be working this hard, for 2 months, and not lose any weight?" Especially when I was doing so good. Even with all the understanding that I do have, I am getting frustrated. My philosophy for the first 6 weeks of this plateau was to wait it out. But now that I am approaching the 8 week mark and I can feel my resolve decreasing. I haven't been as diligent this week with my workouts...so I know that I need help, motivation, ideas, advice, SOMETHING before I subconsciously give up. I do not want to give up. I want this to work. Believe me, I do.

So, if anyone has any experience with this themselves, advice, ideas....I am definitely open to any and all suggestions.

My only restrictions with the wrist at this point is too much pressure on it. I am still in physical therapy and following the guidelines she has set in place. However, this week we have started doing wall-pushups and table push-ups, so I am hoping that I will be able to return to full function soon. Also, I have worked my way back up to a 5lb weight, so I can do some strength training.

Thanks!!

Replies

• cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    exercise alone without a food plan will hinder you. try cutting out any white sugar, white flour, or enriched anything and high fructose corn syrup. eat every 2 to 3 hours, make sure you eat protein for every meal. try eating more then the 1200 calories once a week.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I've been increasing my net calories since January but more recently, I found I actually had to change my goal from losing 2 pounds a week to losing 1.5 pounds each week. Doing this raised my net calories from 1200 to 1290 and that has helped. I may even drop down to 1 pound per week because lately I've been getting more unplanned exercise (and am not able to eat so many exercise cals at the last minute due to the unplannedness of it all :tongue: Normally I eat 100% of my exercise cals) which causes my calorie deficit to be too big for my body to handle consistently.

My other suggestions are -- 1. weigh out every single portion you eat.
    2. Try to be as sure as possible you're not overestimating the calories you burn with exercise
    3. Have a couple of high calorie days -- I'm talking weight-gain mode calorie days -- in a row and then drop back to a regular 1200-1300 net calorie deal.
    4. INTERVAL TRAINING. This seems to be absolutely *key* for me to successfully lose weight.
    5. Increase your protein. Again, it's key for me. I eat 25%-30% protein and an average of 45% carbs. It does matter what you eat. A calorie isn't just a calorie. I try not to blow too many cals on nutritionless foods (but I do allow myself to indulge if I *really* want something).

Hope it helps!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am so with ya girl....i'm interested to see the responses...
  • dangerjones
    Options
    I'm a big fan of cardio because I hate lifting weights, but of course you need to stick to your physical therapy. Maybe limit your strength training to the therapy and do more cardio than weights on your own. Pilates is also an excellent way to strengthen and tone your muscles without adding bulk.

On a personal note, when I hit a plateau, I remind my body who is in charge!
  • strawberrigyrl
    Options
    More cardio...I hit a plateau or two and I turned to more cardio. It helps! Keep your weights but try to add more cardio and like others have posted, watch your carbs and sugar. You can do it!
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I will refocus on the quality of what I am eating. You know how it is, you're sure its good and then WHAM. lol I haven't really focused on the sugar and flour thing before. Currently I do what I can to make sure that my cals count, that I am eating good cals vs empty ones...but obvisouly what I am doing right now is only good for maintaining.. Are there certain foods in particular to stay away from? I am pretty good about staying away from the sweets and breads but I am sure that stuff is hidden in tons of things!!

I really appreciate the advice and motivation. I feel better than I did earlier. You're right... I will remind my body whose in charge!! Starting with my mind. It's mind over matter, right? lol I am in control and I CAN do this. I WILL do this!!