IS this actually simple - seems complicated

Options
I am looking at calorie counting and already im seeing people that are trying tdee-20 etc.
I understand all that but is there anyone that actually just eats the calories recomended on the site?
eg im down as 1200 a day for 1lb loss a week.
im wondering whether i can have 1200 a day and a night off once a week and still lose?
whats your views and how do you work with this ?

Replies

• rayyesnk
    rayyesnk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to eat 1200 a day for 1 lb. of loss a week as well. I only joined 2 days ago! so far, it's not easy. It's not so much staying below the calories, but eating the right balance ... I'm finding it hard to stay below my fiber and fat max. I eat pretty healthy but I guess I eat too much fiber and fats (although, I eat the 'good' fats -- avocados, nuts, etc).

So it's not simple, but I like how it is pretty straightforward, and lets you track everything. I'm creating my meals differently but can still eat the foods I like.

I think a night off once a week or so sounds reasonable. at least I discovered red wine doesn't have any sugar (just carbs -- which I need)! good luck!
  • supah_
    supah_ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    it might slow your progress down (taking a day off would be adding a day in to your weight loss journey?)
    you have to do what is right for you.
    i'm doing the 1200 / day and adding in extra if it's a workout day. there seems to be a lot of naysayers in the message boards who will berate you for not eating enough, so just know that people here go crazy when they see the number 1200!!!

as for progress - the proof is in the pudding - when you weigh in, and there's progres, you know you're doing it right. if you plateau - you might be in starvation mode and adding some extra energy (calories) in may be better for what you're doing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't go by the calorie goal that MFP set up because this website hates me. It wants me to starve and thinks I burn WAY less calories than I actually burn. All the online calculators are wrong too.
  • supah_
    Options
    I don't go by the calorie goal that MFP set up because this website hates me. It wants me to starve and thinks I burn WAY less calories than I actually burn. All the online calculators are wrong too.

whatever you're doing seems to be workign! i saw your ticker - wtg!
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to eat 1200 a day for 1 lb. of loss a week as well. I only joined 2 days ago! so far, it's not easy. It's not so much staying below the calories, but eating the right balance ... I'm finding it hard to stay below my fiber and fat max. I eat pretty healthy but I guess I eat too much fiber and fats (although, I eat the 'good' fats -- avocados, nuts, etc).

So it's not simple, but I like how it is pretty straightforward, and lets you track everything. I'm creating my meals differently but can still eat the foods I like.

I think a night off once a week or so sounds reasonable. at least I discovered red wine doesn't have any sugar (just carbs -- which I need)! good luck!

MFP is just a tool with guidelines based on who knows what? From what I've read, they generally correlate to the minimum requirements for things like protien and nutrients and the maximum for things like sugar and fat. The problem is that some things its good to go over on and some things not so much. The fiber setting on MFP is much lower than what is really optimal. Women should generally aim for at least 25 grams of fiber a day (I try for 30). I think at 1200 calories MFP calculates somewhere under 20. You can go over on fiber and protien and good good fats without any real concerns. You do want to watch the saturated fat and not go over on that if possible. With regard to sugar, MFP sets it to something like no more than 8% of calories should come from sugar. It does not distinguish between sugar in a candy bar vs. sugar in a banana. I eat a lot of fruit, so I give myself about 15 extra grams of sugar a day to allow for lots of fruit.
  • supah_
    Options
    your body does not distinguish the sugar from table sugar vs. from a banana.
    fructose/sucrose/lactose - to your body, it's all the same

your body DOES distinguish between carbohydrates as far as carbs from sugars vs fiber, as you can not digest fiber - for whatever reason the nutirtion labels throw fiber in with carbs.

((i am a type 1 diabetic and i have to count each and every carb for my insulin pump))
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am looking at calorie counting and already im seeing people that are trying tdee-20 etc.
    I understand all that but is there anyone that actually just eats the calories recomended on the site?
    im wondering whether i can have 1200 a day and a night off once a week and still lose?

Are you active? Also with 6 lbs to go, set your account to 1/2 lb per week. Below are general guidelines. Now if you workout, you can eat more calories. Increasing protein, fats and fiber will also help with keeping you full. Unfortunately, MFP is actually a bit low on macro nutrition. I prefer 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. Also, protein is critical to maintain lean body mass which is what is required to have a leaner and tighter body.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • psuLemon
    Options

With 9 lbs left, set your account to 1/2 lb per week. Also, think of protein, fats and fiber as minimum. They are all really good for you and will improve satiety. Also, if you exercise, you can eat a bunch more calories and still maintain weight loss.
  • psuLemon
    Options

MFP is just a tool with guidelines based on who knows what? From what I've read, they generally correlate to the minimum requirements for things like protien and nutrients and the maximum for things like sugar and fat. The problem is that some things its good to go over on and some things not so much. The fiber setting on MFP is much lower than what is really optimal. Women should generally aim for at least 25 grams of fiber a day (I try for 30). I think at 1200 calories MFP calculates somewhere under 20. You can go over on fiber and protien and good good fats without any real concerns. You do want to watch the saturated fat and not go over on that if possible. With regard to sugar, MFP sets it to something like no more than 8% of calories should come from sugar. It does not distinguish between sugar in a candy bar vs. sugar in a banana. I eat a lot of fruit, so I give myself about 15 extra grams of sugar a day to allow for lots of fruit.

There is actually no reason to watch saturated fats. Going over that or sugars will not prevent weight loss or fat loss. While the research varies on sat. fats for health reason, the sciences is all over the place on whether or not it's good or bad. If anything, from a health standpoint, just stay away from processed foods.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    IMO DONT pay attention to fats, fiber and especially protein. For me, a healthy day is going over in fiber and protein. That is not what you should be paying attention to.
    Im confused as to why you are both at 1200 for 1lb per week, that seems too intense. Usually 1200 is for 2 lbs per week. So unless you are both tiny !!! and never exercise that doesnt seem right. I 5ft. tall and I exercise every day and it has me at 1350 for 1 lb a week.
  • Shleen16
    Options
    I don't count any fruits and vegetables unless it is like a potato or something like that but any carrots, oranges, apples, etc, I don't count at all because why should I punish myself for something like that? Also, that way if I have met my cal. goal for the day I still have the option to eat like an apple or something without feeling bad. I have had great success with this!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

whatever you're doing seems to be workign! i saw your ticker - wtg!

Thanks! I think the number one thing is what I *don't* do. I don't stress over food, and I only eat food that I enjoy eating. I don't buy into any of the fad diets or restrictions or try to starve myself. I could seriously eat like this the rest of my life and be happy. I hope other people can figure it out too.
  • supah_
    Options

my understanding is that carbs are sugar. are you saying that the wine has complex carbs vs simple carbs?

i had a friend who took every weekend off of his diet. i think it helped him stick to it!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options

1200 would not include any calories you burn exercising. Thus, you would have to eat those in addition to your 1200 if you exercise.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Only if, on your off days, you eat your TDEE. Unlikely. You can't have a "good" day with a 500 deficit and then a "cheat" day with a 500-1000 excess (which is super easy to do if you don't pay attention) and lose weight.

This stuff is simple, but not easy.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    It's been pretty simple for me. 1200 calories a day. Usually one day a week I have a high calorie day which I log also. I haven't been too caught up in what I'm eating as long as I stay in the calorie range. On days that I work out (usually ride my bicycle), I eat back some of the calories, but not all. The app on my android phone makes it pretty easy to track the calories.

You have to find what works for you and do it!

This works for me.

It's also great having supportive friends on here.
  • VickiMitkins
    Options
    your body does not distinguish the sugar from table sugar vs. from a banana.
    fructose/sucrose/lactose - to your body, it's all the same

your body DOES distinguish between carbohydrates as far as carbs from sugars vs fiber, as you can not digest fiber - for whatever reason the nutirtion labels throw fiber in with carbs.

((i am a type 1 diabetic and i have to count each and every carb for my insulin pump))

I should have clarified about the diabetes issue when it comes to the sugars. I know that a person with diabetes has concerns that those without don't have. I still only give myself about 12 extra grams to allow for the fruit (equivalent to about a tablespoon of sugar) and my low fat cottage cheese 1/2 cup of that has 4 grams of sugar from the lactose (if I remember correctly). I am a big promoter of keeping added sugar in check and as low as possible. My problem is my love of dark chocolate - at least it has some fiber with the sugar. I think the carb/protien ratio on MFP is a bit skewed towards carbs.
  • VickiMitkins
    Options

There is actually no reason to watch saturated fats. Going over that or sugars will not prevent weight loss or fat loss. While the research varies on sat. fats for health reason, the sciences is all over the place on whether or not it's good or bad. If anything, from a health standpoint, just stay away from processed foods.

I agree that when it comes to weight loss it really does not matter about sugar and sat fat other than the number of calories "in vs. out." I think the science is pretty clear that there is a correlation with health though. Unless someone posts that they could care less about their health, I feel a responsible person is going to take that into consideration if they chose to post a reply. I personally believe the high sugar and refined carbs are much worse than a little too much sat fat, but others would argue that.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I had less than 30 pounds to lose. I've been losing weight and I feel good eating 1200+exercise, so I see no reason to change it. I don't feel deprived by any means.
  • VickiMitkins
    Options

my understanding is that carbs are sugar. are you saying that the wine has complex carbs vs simple carbs?

i had a friend who took every weekend off of his diet. i think it helped him stick to it!

Dry reds might not have much, but a sweet red would have more. Here is a link from wine spectator. http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/Health-QA-How-Much-Sugar-is-in-Wine_3878