Vitamix Recommendations & Recipes

Options
SleepySin
SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
I've been seriously contemplating about getting myself one to seriously up my green intake so...

(1) What model do you own and what made you choose one over the others?
(2) What are your favorite green smoothies?

Replies

• Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I bought an omniblend blender. It is about half the price of a vitamix and reviews online reckoned it was about 95% as good as a vitamix. I'm very pleased with it.

This morning's green smoothie: Spinach, pineapple, banana, chia seeds, peach and almond milk. Was very yummy.
  • IntegralPart
    Options
    I own the 5200 and love it. It has helped change the way I think about food.

You'll find yourself just playing around and adding fruits and veggies to it, blending it up to see how it tastes. My favorite recipe for green smoothies so far is this one - https://www.vitamix.com/Find-Recipes/G/O/Going-Green-Smoothie

The different packages and models are a bit confusing, but I found a site that helps explain the differences here - http://blenderreviews.us/compare-blenders

Hope that helps!
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I own the 5200 and love it. It has helped change the way I think about food.

You'll find yourself just playing around and adding fruits and veggies to it, blending it up to see how it tastes. My favorite recipe for green smoothies so far is this one - https://www.vitamix.com/Find-Recipes/G/O/Going-Green-Smoothie

The different packages and models are a bit confusing, but I found a site that helps explain the differences here - http://blenderreviews.us/compare-blenders

Hope that helps!

I agree. I don't know if I've ever made the same smoothie twice. I also use it for more than smoothies. We make the frozen yogurt, the "frappuccinos," and the soups. We bought ours from eBay (reconditioned) over 5 years ago and love it. I don't even know what model it is. We've made most of the recipes in the cookbook that comes with it (the binder and the little book), and I also go online to find recipes. There are quite a few YouTube videos specifically for Vitamix. I personally think it's worth the investment. Enjoy!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I also have the 5200, purchased at CostCo, which I highly recommend. I had mine for almost a year and it died the day before Thanksgiving. Threw the whole thing into a bag and took it back to CostCo - they gave me a brand new one, no questions asked.

I use mine just about every day for something. One of my favorite meals is fresh tomato soup with lots of basil, made and heated right in the Vitamix.

3-4 days a week, I drink a green smoothie in place of breakfast. It's not low calorie, but it's super low fat, full of nutrients, and very filling. I find on the days I juice for breakfast, I'm full for 4-5 hours instead of 2-3 hours with something starchy.

I prefer not to put milk in my green smoothies. When I don't use milk or yogurt, a banana is a must. It lends the creamy texture I enjoy. Ice is also optional, depending if you like your smoothie frosty and thick or thinner. I buy whatever fruit is on sale and chip it up and freeze it in small baggies if I'm worried it will go bad. This also adds a nice, frosty texture without diluting the flavor like ice can.

Basically, I found you can combine just about any fruits with leafy greens. Kale is stronger tasting and can be harder to get used to - it also requires more blending than spinach to break up. A good rule of thumb is to pair a leafy green with a strong flavored fruit. I found the strongest fruits to be pineapple, bananas, and oranges.

Favorite recipes:
    - 1 apple, 1/2 cucumber, 1 carrot, 1 orange, 2 Cups of spinach, 1/2 banana
    - 24 grapes, 2 cups of kale, 1/2 pear, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup pineapple
    - 1 orange, 1 cup spinach, 1/2 cup kale, 1 celery stalk, 1 kiwi, 1/2 cup pineapple
    - 1 mango, 1 banana, 1 and 1/2 cups spinach, a splash of OJ

Enjoy!!
  • IntegralPart
    Options
    The apple cucumber recipe sounds delicious! I'm going to have to give that one a try.
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    We have the pro series 500. I like the settings - smoothie, frozen desserts, etc. It is an awesome machine. My sister owns a blendtech that she really likes as well.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone!! Seems my bank account is gonna take a hit this week.. lol
  • stevelowery148
    Options
    You will definitely be happy you purchased one. I own the 5200 myself and love it. I probably use mine 2-3 times per day and since I bought the Vitamix, my green intake has certainly went way up.

If you're looking for a more detailed review of the model I own (the 5200), I found this one here: http://www.charlottesvineyard.com/vitamix-5200-review/

Hope that helps!
  • MrsSandra
    MrsSandra Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Finally bought the Vitamix! Been wanting one for so long! Before using the Vitamix, I had bought the NutriBlast and it died in a few months. NutriBlast never made my smoothies as SMOOTH as the Vitamix does. I love it!
  • newashley
    newashley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just bought our Vitamix last week and I LOVE it!! Thanks for the great ideas! I am going to try them out Tomorrow!
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have the 5200, also purchased at Costco. I use it almost every day! It was definitely worth the investment. Before I purchased it I shopped around quite a bit but I knew I wasn't going to be satisfied with anything less than the Vitamix so I just bit the bullet and purchased it. The Costco price with tax was right at $400.

As for recipes I make green smoothies, typically with an apple, cucumber, and kale. Sometimes they have lemon or ginger. I have thrown in a stalk of celery too but that will make the smoothie much thicker. I also use it for all types of soups (potato, broccoli, cauliflower), hummus and bean dip. A few times I have used it for chopping stuff and that worked ok.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just bought a 5200 a couple weeks ago! I saw it at a demo at a food & wine fest months ago & quite honestly, had dreams about it lol So I finally coughed up the money & so glad I did! I had no idea Bed, Bath & Beyond sells them! (and the same price as amazon - so with a 20% coupon I felt like I got a deal :P).

It comes with a whole book of recipes (and there's plenty online). Of course, I said, "who needs a recipe?! just throw stuff in!"... uh, you might want to follow some recipes ha I"m definately getting the hang of what mixes well :P

I love that I can make a quick soup in it. Or sherbert. I haven't tried ice cream yet. My husband makes a smoothie every night. I've made juices.

The only downside is that I prefer sweet stuff, like a smoothie, in the morning, and it's just way too loud for me to run at 7am :( I live in an apartment, and to check, one night my husband went upstairs by my neighbors door & I made a smoothie - he could definately hear it clearly.

On another note, a coworker recently got a nutribullet and loves it. It's small and quiet so he keeps it in his office and he makes a juice everyday. I'm not spending any more money, but depending on how and when you plan to use it, the nutri (or magic) bullet might be an option also.