Gym not equipped for deadlifts...

Options
Hi Everyone!

I'm so sorry if this has been asked before...I just started trying to do strong lifts....but one of the routines calls for deadlifts...but my gym does not have just a loose barbell I can do this with. The barbell I use for squates/bench is attached to the rack and you turn it to unlock it (sorry, not sure of all the technical terms). Is there a machine or an exercise I can do with dumbbells that would essentially work the same muscles so I don't miss out on that part of the routine?

Thank you so much for all your help! Again, I'm sorry if this has already been asked/answered :flowerforyou:

(my gym is in a hotel, they do have free weights, cardio machines, weight machines...etc., the other gyms are at least 20 miles away, so switching is not an option at this point)

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    That's a smith machine. You're not getting 'the full workout' using that for any of the exercises in Stronglifts.

Most will tell you to get a new gym. I don't disagree.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    thank you, I didn't know that is what it was called....but at least it is better than not doing weights at all I think...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've done the lifts on a smith machine before... definitely not the best, but better than nothing.

Sounds like your gym has dumbbells? Most of the lifts can be tweaked to work with dumbbells.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    Options
    I've done the lifts on a smith machine before... definitely not the best, but better than nothing.

Sounds like your gym has dumbbells? Most of the lifts can be tweaked to work with dumbbells.

yes, they do have dumbbells....so could I essientially do a deadlift (same form etc) with 2 dumbbells? THANK YOU!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't use a gym I workout at home and only have dumbbells, you can use those.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Swap out the conventional barbell deadlifts for dumbbell stiff legged deadlifts if you cannot get to another gym...in fact, swap everything out for dumbbell versions rather than using the smith machine and swap squats for pistol squats or bulgarian split squats.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You can deadlift with dumbbells for the time being. You probably won't max out the maximum weight of the DBs available for a little while. I would consider gym-shopping soon though. Google "dumbbell deadlifts" for proper form, its slightly different than with a barbell.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    That's a smith machine. You're not getting 'the full workout' using that for any of the exercises in Stronglifts.

Most will tell you to get a new gym. I don't disagree.

This.

Any gym with out (minimum) an Olympic barbell, a bench, and a squat rack really shouldn't be called a gym.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    Options
    Swap out the conventional barbell deadlifts for dumbbell stiff legged deadlifts if you cannot get to another gym...in fact, swap everything out for dumbbell versions rather than using the smith machine and swap squats for pistol squats or bulgarian split squats.

Thanks! I will look those up! I appreciate it!!

I would love to switch to a different gym, but the hubby doesn't want to...maybe I can do some more sweet talking and get him to start going more and he will want to switch too! :happy:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You won't develop good form on the machines, though on deadlift, it's going to be lifted straight up and down anyway, so it's not as bad as other lifts on it. Shoot, even the squat should be straight up and down. But in neither case do you develop the auxilliary muscles that assist.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/HipsWt.html

Got dumbbells and machines listed for squats and deadlifts there.

Ditto's to dumbbells, usually there are 50-75 lb dumbbells that will max you out.

Problem there is, when you increase, it's always by 10 lbs total (5 each arm), which can be a big jump.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Stiff legged deadlifts with dumbbells work great!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

yes, they do have dumbbells....so could I essientially do a deadlift (same form etc) with 2 dumbbells? THANK YOU!!

Yes.. sort of. The mechanics are a lot diffrent. But you can expect to deadlift 135+ pretty quickly. So.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    Options

Yes.. sort of. The mechanics are a lot diffrent. But you can expect to deadlift 135+ pretty quickly. So.

right, but at least it is a start so I can start building/toning muscle until I can talk my hubby into switching to a different gym
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I disagree with deadlifting in the smith press. The motion is not natural; the one time I tried, I tweaked my back.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Use the dumbells for all of it!

I had back & knee pain doing squats in a smith, went away when I went to the barbell
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If the gym has an ez bar you can use that for deadlifts for a while.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the tips and advice!!

I'm going to start doing squats and stiff leg deadlifts with dumbbells instead of with the smith machine until I can convince my hubby to switch gyms.

any friends requests are welcome :happy:

Have a great day!!
  • beanerific518
    Options
    For the time being, try deadlifts with dumbbells.

The smith machine is helpful in place of a pull up bar. Locked in its highest position you can do pull ups or even attach gymnastics rings to do rows and dips. With the bar locked in a lower position, you can use it for inverted pushups / row.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My gym is a small work gym. But it's free! We have dumbbells up to 75 lb, but no smith machine, and no barbells at all. I squatted and did sldl with the dumbells, and it can definitely work. I found I needed to use wrist straps for the lifts though, as I simply couldn't hold onto the dumbbells once I got over about 60 lb each hand. I've now maxed out on the dumbbells though, and need to find somewhere with real free weights! But, the work gym is still free...
  • MLibby84
    Options
    what does your hubby do that you are staying in a hotel?