Slim for Life Program?

Options
A girl at work is doing the Slim for Life program and has lost about 50 pounds in the last 8 months or so. She says she has done it without any exercise. When I tried to ask her for a little more detail, she basically told me that when I want to pay $600 to join the program then I can know the diet plan. (Beeyotch, I know). She likes all the attention she is getting from her weight loss and doesn't want anyone else to get some, too.

Anyway, has anyone else tried this or are you on it now? What does their food program look like?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have not tried Slim For Life but I am on a program that does consist of prepackaged foods.
  • iluvmine
    iluvmine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds like BS.. you gotta have some sort of exercise to stay fit. POINT BLANK. But thats ok, let her be stingy and broke for paying that amount. You will be looking great when you get to your goal, and she will gain it all back, soon as she cant afford her $600 diet plan anymore.. LOL
  • wlund717
    wlund717 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Slim4Life does work and YES you can achieve the weight loss without exercise. The results may not be what you want if your goal is a toned body though. The average weight loss is 3-5 pounds a week. It consists of a food list that you get to pick what you want to eat. Depending on your health, how much weight you want to lose, and how much you exercise will determine the calories you consume daily. It's grouped by Protein, Veggies, Fruit, Starch, and Fat.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I did Slim 4 Life and I lost 55-pounds and exercise was not incorporated in the plan.

Like wlund just stated, it's the combination of foods that you eat. I liked it because there isn't any packaged foods you have to buy. :smile:
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    Options
    :happy: Slim for life sounds brilliant, she on the otherhand sounds very childish. if you ever find the details share it with everyone on here...If i come across it too I'll do the same. :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I like exercise too much not to exercise, but I really could use some help with food choices. Sounds good, but I am WAY too poor to pay that kind of money.

Would anyone be willing to email me their food program info? i heard there is some kind of sheet that outlines the food program.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I like exercise too much not to exercise, but I really could use some help with food choices. Sounds good, but I am WAY too poor to pay that kind of money.

Would anyone be willing to email me their food program info? i heard there is some kind of sheet that outlines the food program.

I'll check around and see if I have my old info and send it to you. :smile:

If you don't hear from me in a few days, send me a PM and nag me a bit. I have the attention span of a housefly. :tongue:
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I went in to check it out several months ago. It was so expensive. I saw the food list-but it didn't look like anything I could stick with-because it had a lot of seafood-which I don't eat. However-I have only heard good things from the people who have done it.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds in a year by just watching what I ate, no exercise..and I didn't pay $600 either. You have the food tracker here. Stay within your calories and you will lose. I am starting to work on getting exercise in now because I want to be fit as well as lose weight.

I appreciate this, but I have been on here for 1 year next month, and I do exercise, and I have only lost 23 lbs., so I am looking for some ways to adjust my diet, not just my calories. But 60 lbs is very inspiring, good for you!
  • Miles2Go
    Miles2Go Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just read your post and had to reply.

There were several reasons last fall that I got "on the wagon" to lose weight. However, one very specific reason I started MFP was because I walked into Slim for Life clinic and was told that I would need to fork over $755.00 right then and there to start their program in order to meet my weight loss goals by September. My friend had fabulous success with it and another friend had just started and had lost 10lbs already. Both had warned me the cost was going to be high but I was thinking in the $200-$250 range. When I told the representative that the fee was outrageous, that I could do it on my own and save myself some money, she promptly informed me that it would be inpossible without their program details to lose what I wanted in a year. Ha! What she didn't know was that I am one stubborn Betty. Don't tell me I can't do something because I will go above and beyond to prove you wrong.

So...just a suggestion. Go to the library and check out different cookbooks and some general nutrition guides for ideas on ways to revamp your daily foods. My friend showed me her program for Slim for Life and it was VERY similiar to South Beach and Body for Life with low sugar, equal carb to protein ratio menus. Oh, and did I mention it's FREE!

BTW...Heather, I've seen your food diary and it looks good. You work out hard and that's also good. I'm a bit perplexed as to why you are not losing. Hmmmmm....
  • JenTakeTen
    JenTakeTen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have seen the commercials and I must admit I was curious (heck I am curious about any program). I do not know anyone personally that has tried it and I checked out their website:

It's hard to really see what the program is about -- BUY BUY BUY is hollering everywhere.... It seems to be based on balance of proteins and thermogenesis. Sticktoit is right... before you buy, see if this can be duplicated for much less money.
  • berly63
    berly63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI,

I did the S4L plan over 5 yrs ago and lost 25 lbs in a month... wow... I used their plan and items.. My book was absconded w/by a past roommate... so, what I found was the following and from what I remember it is VERY close.

Hope you enjoy... I am trying again to loose 30 - nothing excessive and nothing to fast - want to keep it off longer this time.

Below is a list of the categories of food you must eat each day. which foods fall into these categories, and how much of that food constitutes a serving.

•Proteins: 2 Servings/day
    Beefs (only twice a week/never 2 days in a row)
    ** 4 oz is about the size of a deck of cards

- Arm Roast... 4oz
    - Chuck Roast... 4oz
    - Rump Roast... 4oz
    - Ground Sirloin... 4oz
    - Club Steak... 4oz
    - Flank Steak... 4oz
    - Round Steak... 4oz
    - Sirloin Steak... 4oz
    - T-Bone Steak... 4oz
    - Lamb Loin... 4oz
    - Ground Turkey... 4oz

Veal
    - Cutlet... 5oz
    - Rump... 5oz
    - Chop... 5oz

Poultry

- Chicken Breast... 6oz
    - Turkey Breast... 5oz
    - Ground Turkey Breast... 5oz

Liver

- Beef Liver... 4oz
    - Calf Liver... 4oz
    - Chicken Liver... 3oz

Fish

- Striped Bass... 5oz
    - Cod... 6oz
    - Flounder... 6oz
    - Haddock... 6oz
    - Halibut (steamed)... 5oz
    - Lake Perch... 5oz
    - Fresh Tuna... 5oz
    - Mahi-mahi... 5oz
    - Lobster... 5oz
    - Shrimp (fresh)... 5oz
    - Sole... 5oz
    - Whitefish... 5oz
    - Orange Roughy... 6oz
    - Scrod... 6oz
    - Red Snapper... 5oz
    - Grouper... 5oz
    - Yellow Tail... 5oz
    - Bluefish... 6oz
    - 2 x wk *Swordfish... 5oz
    - 2 x wk *Crab (steamed)... 5oz
    - 2 x wk *Salmon Steak... 4oz
    - 2 x wk *Scallops... 4oz
    - 1 x wk *Tuna (water packed)... 4oz

Dairy and Eggs

- 3 x wk Cottage Cheese 1 % Fat... 5oz
    - 1 Lg Egg & Cottage Cheese... 4oz
    - Eggs... 2 Lg.

•Liquids:

Fresh Water... 10 8oz/day (required)
    Tea of Coffee... 2 cups daily
    Diet Pop (no colas)... 2 12oz cans
    or
    Crystal Light... 2 glasses
    Herb Tea... no limit
    Parsley Tea... as needed
    Decaffeinated Coffee... no limit

•Vegetables: 4 servings/day (1 cup raw - 1/2 cup cooked)

Asparagus... 1 cup
    Bean Sprouts... 1 cup
    Broccoli... 1 cup
    Cabbage... 1 cup
    Cauliflower... 1 cup
    Celery... 1 cup
    Chard... 1 cup
    Cucumbers... 1/2 med
    Egg Plant... 1 cup
    Green Onions... 5 small
    Lettuce or Endive... 1 cup
    Mushrooms... 1 cup
    Mustard Greens... 1 cup
    Okra... 1 cup
    Peppers (green, red)... 1/2 med
    Radishes... 10 med
    Rhubarb... 1 stalk
    Spinach or Kale... 1 cup
    Squash (summer)... 1 cup
    String Beans (was, green or yellow)... 1 cup
    Tomatoes... 1 small
    Turnip Sprouts/Greens... 1 cup
    Zucchini... 1 cup

•Fruits: 2 servings/day (do not eat after 6 pm/fresh or frozen fruit, not canned)

Grapes (green)... 10 reg
    Apple... 1 small
    Apricot... 3 med
    Blueberries... 1/4 cup
    Cantaloupe... 1/8 lg
    Cherries... 9 med
    Grapefruit... 1/2 small
    Lemon... 1 small
    Orange... 1 small
    Peach... 1 small
    Pineapple... 3/4 cup
    Prunes... 2 med
    Raspberries... 1/4 cup
    Strawberries... 12 small
    Tangerine... 1 small
    Watermelon... 1 cup diced

•Starches: 2 servings/day

Diet Bread (40-45 calories)... 1 slice
    Melba Toast (unseasoned)... 2 slices
    Bread Stick (Diet Stella D 'Oro)... 1 lg stick
    Akmak Cracker... 1/2 sheet
    Rice Cake (unsalted)... 1 cake per day
    Millers Bran... 2 tbsp
    Kavli Crispy Bread, thin... 1 wafer
    Corn Tortillas (6" dia.)... 1/2 tortilla
    Ryvta Cracker... 1/2 of 1 pack (3 x per week combined)
    Baked Potato... 1/2 small (3 x per week combined)
    Brown Rice... 1/4 cup cooked (3 x per week combined)

•Fats: 1 serving per day (apply after cooking)

Diet Margarine... 1 tsp
    Promise Lite... 1 tsp
    Promise Ultra... 1 tsp
    Fleishman's Lite or diet mayonnaise... 1 tsp
    Portions listed a raw weights unless stated.

You must also have 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of Morton's Lite Salt per day. You may also use 1 tbsp of mustard as a condiment per day.

You may prepare all foods by steaming, boiling, roasting, broiling, baking, pan frying, microwaving, or grilling. Do not use fat, lard, etc. Pam original, no butter, is allowed.

Limit artificial sweeteners (Equal, Sweet N' Low, Splenda) to 2 to 3 packs per day.

Allowed seasonings: Morton's Light Salt (1/4 to 1/2 tsp), pepper, garlic, fresh herbs and spices, apple cider vinegar and tarragon vinegar, Mrs. Dash, juice of one lemon per day. No regular salt or condiments.

Salad Dressings: 2 tbsp daily of Fat Free salad dressing.

All the best my friends in your quest to lose and be healthy,
    Kimberly
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump for later~
  • WhatAgirl_
    WhatAgirl_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sounds like BS.. you gotta have some sort of exercise to stay fit. POINT BLANK. But thats ok, let her be stingy and broke for paying that amount. You will be looking great when you get to your goal, and she will gain it all back, soon as she cant afford her $600 diet plan anymore.. LOL

this ^^ &&&& There is NO SECRET TO WEIGHT LOSS HONEY. It's always either exercise or decreaing food in take .... you can lose weight without any exercise! 100 % you can easily cut down carbs and east 500 calories less and lose weight without any movement
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump (just in case)
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the program as well. My struggle was with sticking to just the items on their list, and taking the supplements that you're supposed to. I did lose 20lbs in a month, but I did that on here just watching what I ate and exercising. I realized that I couldn't or wasn't willing to change my eating habits so drastically as I don't really enjoy vegetables, and I love carbs. I have cut back on carbs, but not as low as this program goes. I did fork over a lot of money, $630, and felt awful when I didn't continue. I decided to just reduce what I eat and try to eat more healthy options for the calories I do allow myself during the day.
  • milt2tle
    milt2tle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is that (a) it's working for me, and
  • meteor5
    Options
    I was skeptical of Slim for Life too, but one of my friends took the leap before I did and while she hasn't been quite as successful as I want to be, I really wanted the structure. I have been wanting someone for years to tell me what foods to eat, when, how to prepare them, what to avoid, etc. I wouldn't be this overweight if I actually had self-control and knew what I was doing. That's a hard thing to acknowledge. I'm sure there are people out there (even on this thread!) that can lose weight simply by watching what they eat, but I have never been able to make that work for more than a few weeks tops. I've only lost 15lbs in my first month on S4L but already my doctor is saying I don't need blood pressure pills anymore. (My REAL doctor, not anyone at the S4l place--they're not doctors and don't pretend to be.)
    While the program IS expensive, and can very likely be replicated, I'm really grateful for the constant support and structure. What no one seems to have mentioned in this discussion is that the period of service that you purchase up front (the insanely large start-up fee) includes your weight loss phase AND a stabilization phase AND a maintenance phase. It doesn't sound like anyone has gotten that far on here. When I paid that $600 to start, it was for a starter pack of pills (some lasted two weeks, some last more than a month), a week's worth of snacks, and an entire year of service--26 weeks to lose weight, and 26 weeks to make sure I know how to not gain it back. At this early stage, I don't know what the second six months will look like, but I like that they don't just dump you off as soon as you get to your goal.
    Anyone who's skeptic about losing weight without exercise needs to do some research--there are even people who argue that exercising makes you gain weight because your perception of how many calories you burn through exercise is generally inflated. You have to run four miles to burn the number of calories consumed in a single donut. So people who talk about hitting the gym after eating out probably don't have enough hours in the day to actually burn it off. That's not to say exercise is useless, but it's calorie intake that actually makes a difference.
    I'm not sure I would encourage anyone to use the food list provided in this thread without being on the plan. Without the appetite suppressants, I'm not sure I could eat that little. They say it's like 1000-1200 calories daily, but when I was tracking my food on here, I was consistently under 1000. Either MFP is off, or S4L is off, I'm not sure which. But all in all, I actually really like this program and it's been the first thing I've had continued success with. I certainly wish it was cheaper, but as my husband and I decided in the beginning, if it works, it's worth far more than we're paying. If I get the weight off, we'll be able to have kids, and hopefully I'll avoid the depressing life of a diabetic like my dad had. $600+ is a small price to pay for those things.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I'd wager there was a deficit involved.