Should I be eating more calories????

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If what you're doing isn't working...then yes...trying something different can't hurt.

I see you eat restaurant foods and processed food a lot too....try setting your diary to track sodium. That can really hinder your loss and there's TONS of it in the foods you're eating!

Too much sodium can cause water retention, but it can't hinder fat loss so long as you are in a moderate calorie deficit.
    I didn't say "fat loss"...

Maybe it's just easier to say it will "mask" weight loss. Either way I think we all understand what you meant.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If what you're doing isn't working...then yes...trying something different can't hurt.

I see you eat restaurant foods and processed food a lot too....try setting your diary to track sodium. That can really hinder your loss and there's TONS of it in the foods you're eating!

Too much sodium can cause water retention, but it can't hinder fat loss so long as you are in a moderate calorie deficit.

Maybe it's just easier to say it will "mask" weight loss. Either way I think we all understand what you meant.
    Salt_Bad_3257_169251266.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

True, but it seems rather silly to try to lose weight that isn't fat.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Salt_Bad_3257_169251266.jpg

Believe it or not, this actually doesn't apply to everyone. In fact, my wife has to eat more salt than the average person due to her medical condition.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories.
    ^^^^^^^^

This
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    There are a lot of good threads on this site to help you set calorie goals aligned to you but overall I agree that you need to increase your calorie intake to lose weight.
    I work with a trainer 4X per week and that was one thing we identified with my diet. I now eat at around 1700 - 2000 calories and I am now consistently losing weight.
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    YES!!! If you are doing 2 hours of exercise especially weight training for an hour I would say at the very least 1500-1700 cals. 1200 calories is nothing. I noticed when I started to eat more I started to lose. Good luck to you!! :smile:
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Calculate your BMR and do not eat less calories than that.

YEP! What this young lady says is correct. Calculate your BMR and don't net less than that..for long term success.....unless you are morbidly overweight (there are some exceptions). Take measurements and BF%. You'll probably feel like your eating more than you ever have in the past....especially if your eating only healthy foods.

In conclusion, Find your BMR, eat that....then if you workout that day...eat those calories you burned from the workout too.

Like 1% of the entire population in the world should have a 1200 calorie plan....so if your on a true 1200 calorie plan...your very special.
  • MellifluousGirl
    MellifluousGirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It depends on WHAT you are eating. If you're eating mostly vegetables, you probably won't need to eat more than 1200. Trust your body to tell you what it needs. There's an amazing book called 'Eat to Live' that has changed my life. He will tell you not to count calories, just to follow his food recommendations (mostly dark green veggies, nothing processed, etc). Hunger as we know it tends to actually be gases composting off the food we eat. So, if we eat a lot of toxins, we get more gas & therefore, more feelings of hunger. Also, if our bodies are lacking some nutrient, we will get the signal that we are hungry because our bodies are trying to get that nutrient. Therefore, if we are eating nutrient-rich foods, we will be less hungry. I hope this helps. Another great book is 'Plant-Based Diet.' I've lost 15 lbs in a month without exercise just by increasing my veggies & taking doTERRA slim & sassy essential oil drops in my water & drinking as much water as I can. I read that we need to take our weight in pounds, divide in half, and drink that in ounces of water each day. So a person weighing 128 lbs would need 64 ozs of water each day. Of course, we can get water in some foods, so consider that as well. Best of luck & health to you! :smile:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    *Find out what your BMR is. I think my TDEE is way too high so I go with the BMR for myself

*Use that as your daily calorie goal

*Create a deficit from that through exercise or eating less

So your advice is to determine how many calories she'd need just to maintain her bodily functions if she were in a coma and than create a deficit from that?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    *Find out what your BMR is. I think my TDEE is way too high so I go with the BMR for myself

You create a deficit from TDEE, not BMR. BMR is the calories your body needs everyday just to function in a coma like state. You burn calories everyday from things like brushing your teeth, washing the dishes, etc etc plus any exercise you do.

You should be netting your BMR or you are not providing your body enough fuel.

TDEE is the amount of calories it takes to maintain your weight at your current activity level including all exercise. You take the deficit from there, NOT BMR.
    A side note: If your eating junk, that can really have an impact on weight loss even if your eating only 1200 calories. Another thing people tend to do is not measure their food, count their calories wrong and/or they forget to count drinks. Make sure your really tedious when it comes to your food intake.

You can still lose weight eating junk as long as you are under your TDEE/maintance calories. Sure, it's not gonna make you healthy but you will lose weight. Provided you are not consuming crazy amounts of sodium which can mask losses.

And yes, ensure you properly record ALL foods you eat and everything you drink. Measure solids by weighing them (sure, that box of cereal says 1 cup is a serving but did you know that the 1 cup of cereal you measure out will most likely be higher than the grams listed... ALWAYS go by weight) and measure all liquids with cups/spoons (proper ones.. a tsp you eat from may not have the same volume as a measuring spoon tsp). Also, a lot of people forget to track things... milk in their coffee/tea, sugar in it, that bit of butter/oil used to cook, that marinade, that dressing on the salad, the mayo/ketchup/mustard/etc used.
  • BeDawn
    BeDawn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    THIS>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4fKr4o0Yc4

This video goes into detail about eating and calories and it will answer all of your questions. She has lost over 100 pounds and maintained it. Check it out.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    First, you should never go to the gym every day. You do need a rest day. When you exercise, you break down the muscle and when you rest you repair the muscle. You get your gains when you repair the muscle. I would also suggest switching your routine.. 3 days of weight training and 3 of cardio. Doing both every day will just lead to over training.

To answer the original question, yes you should eat back exercise calories or my preferred method is to include them in your lifestyle and set your account to moderate. This way you do NOT need to eat them back.

I got to the gym 6 days a week, 2 workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I am just fine :) Most of my friends work out every day too. Exercising almost every day has been a HUGE part of my weight loss and muscle building. To each their own ;)

Going to the gym 6 days a week is not going every day. A person can workout six days a week as long as they aren't working the same muscles. I work out six days a week but never work the same muscle groups back to back. And there is NO benefit of workout out twice a day unless you just like it or want to eat more, which I am all for.

And by build muscle, I assume you mean build strength, not actually building new lean body mass?

Yeah, I am interested in building muscle just as much as losing weight. I am really seeing some definition after 2 years of doing it. I do alternate legs and upper every other day. I do abs and back every day but I do different things every other day too. I just thought you made a general statement and wanted to clear it up a little. hehe :flowerforyou:
    As far as double workout days, My husband goes with me on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. To be frank, he cant keep up with me. I stay at the gym 2-3 hours a day and he does maybe 1-1.5 hours. So I decided I would take the extra work out instead of holding myself back. Most times the 2nd workout is me doing random things, following him and his friend around the gym and showing them the machines. I get a good burn in but I'm not as focused as normal. It is mostly about me supporting him and I am not there just for myself. :wink:
  • Dauntlessness
    Options

You create a deficit from TDEE, not BMR. BMR is the calories your body needs everyday just to function in a coma like state. You burn calories everyday from things like brushing your teeth, washing the dishes, etc etc plus any exercise you do.

You should be netting your BMR or you are not providing your body enough fuel.

TDEE is the amount of calories it takes to maintain your weight at your current activity level including all exercise. You take the deficit from there, NOT BMR.
    A side note: If your eating junk, that can really have an impact on weight loss even if your eating only 1200 calories. Another thing people tend to do is not measure their food, count their calories wrong and/or they forget to count drinks. Make sure your really tedious when it comes to your food intake.

You can still lose weight eating junk as long as you are under your TDEE/maintance calories. Sure, it's not gonna make you healthy but you will lose weight. Provided you are not consuming crazy amounts of sodium which can mask losses.

And yes, ensure you properly record ALL foods you eat and everything you drink. Measure solids by weighing them (sure, that box of cereal says 1 cup is a serving but did you know that the 1 cup of cereal you measure out will most likely be higher than the grams listed... ALWAYS go by weight) and measure all liquids with cups/spoons (proper ones.. a tsp you eat from may not have the same volume as a measuring spoon tsp). Also, a lot of people forget to track things... milk in their coffee/tea, sugar in it, that bit of butter/oil used to cook, that marinade, that dressing on the salad, the mayo/ketchup/mustard/etc used.

Well, lets look at the facts. I have lost 75lbs, you have lost 5lbs. You joined December 2012 and I have been here for almost 3 years. You have almost 1000 posts on here within a few months, which makes me think you troll without weight loss/exercise experience and I have only 150 more posts than you in all that time. It seems your one of these people who are pretending to know what your talking about without putting the time and work in. I have and after a lot of TIME and research I have figured out what works for me. My friends, who mind you are mostly successful hard working people who also have been here for a long time have calorie goals similar to mine.

I tried eating my TDEE and I gained weight even when I was burning 1000-1500 HRM calories a day, 6 days a week. I "get" the science behind a TDEE BUT the internet calculators are way too general. A lot of people say they are "moderately active" or "highly active" when really, they are not.

These are mine with "moderate activity"
    My BMR : 1718 calories a day
    My TDEE: 2670 calories a day

2670 calories? Are you serious? No, I'm sorry but that's way too high to lose weight. Its kind of funny because last week I was sick and didn't exercise (which was crazy for me) and I ate more than normal. Actually, it was about 2500 calories a day and I didn't have the luxury of staying in bed all day so I was still active. I gained 6 pounds that week. I know at least some was water weight but 3 of them were not. That is significant gain and that was under my "TDEE". That's why I say BMR, not TDEE is the way to go.

As far as junk food. Calories are not just calories but its what you eat too. If your eating McDonalds and sugar all day its just not going to work. Just like everything in life, diets are not black and white and there are some gray areas in there. PLUS your not learning how to have a balanced diet and are more likely to overeat when your off "your diet" and you reach your goal weight. High carb, high sugar, high fat foods will send your body on a hunger roller coaster and will cause energy highs and dips which in turn makes you eat more. Its just not healthy in any way.

Anyways, think what you want to.
  • Dauntlessness
    Options

So your advice is to determine how many calories she'd need just to maintain her bodily functions if she were in a coma and than create a deficit from that?

With proper nutrition, lots of veggies and protein. Yes. She should have plenty of energy. Not to mention MFP seems to give people this "1200 calorie diet" calorie when someone wants to lose 2lbs a week. They know that going under that number is unhealthy. My plan is MUCH better. If she is only eating 1000-1200 calories a day and burning 500 a day, she is only eating 500-700 calories. If she goes by her BMR, lets say for instance, 1800 calories a day, shes still eating 1200 net calories a day. What is your problem with that? Thats sooo much better than MFP estimates and she is certainly not starving.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

Well, lets look at the facts. I have lost 75lbs, you have lost 5lbs. You joined December 2012 and I have been here for almost 3 years. You have almost 1000 posts on here within a few months, which makes me think you troll without weight loss/exercise experience and I have only 150 more posts than you in all that time. It seems your one of these people who are pretending to know what your talking about without putting the time and work in. I have and after a lot of TIME and research I have figured out what works for me. My friends, who mind you are mostly successful hard working people who also have been here for a long time have calorie goals similar to mine.

You're kidding me right? You think looking at a small profile tells you everything?

I have been a member far longer than Dec 2012 and I have lost a lot more than 5lbs. So before you go attacking people, make sure you know the facts instead of the little bit of information you can see.

You clearly don't know much about weight loss when you are suggesting someone consistantly NET below their BMR.

Sure, I post a lot because I am on this site a lot. Not because I am a "troll pretending to know" anything. Over the years I have done a lot of research and have read a lot of information about health and weight loss and I post a lot because I would like to help people with the knowledge that I have.

And seriously, don't think you are better than anyone else. Who cares what you have lost compared to what someone else has lost. Just because your ticker may show you have lost more weight than what my ticker shows means nothing. Do you realize not all people start their weight loss on this website? Some people have used other methods in the past or other sites to lose weight.

You really need to learn not to make assumptions or think you are better.

I tried eating my TDEE and I gained weight even when I was burning 1000-1500 HRM calories a day, 6 days a week. I "get" the science behind a TDEE BUT the internet calculators are way too general. A lot of people say they are "moderately active" or "highly active" when really, they are not.
    This comes down to people being honest with themselves.

2670 calories? Are you serious? No, I'm sorry but that's way too high to lose weight. Its kind of funny because last week I was sick and didn't exercise (which was crazy for me) and I ate more than normal. Actually, it was about 2500 calories a day and I didn't have the luxury of staying in bed all day so I was still active. I gained 6 pounds that week. I know at least some was water weight but 3 of them were not. That is significant gain and that was under my "TDEE". That's why I say BMR, not TDEE is the way to go.

You take a cut from TDEE, not eat at TDEE. Those 2670 calories would maintain your weight. YOu eat between the BMR amount and the TDEE amount.

What you gained last week would of been water weight or a natural fluctuation. You will not gain fat eating 2500 calories a day for a week. You need 3500 calories above your maintance calories to gain fat. If you think you gained fat weight while eating only 2500 calories a day you really need to revisit your research.
    Anyways, think what you want to. I have results to prove mine. :laugh:

You don't need visible results to show you know a thing.

I have results too.... Just because my ticker doesn't show it doesn't mean there haven't been any. I have actually lost a lot more.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

With proper nutrition, lots of veggies and protein. Yes. She should have plenty of energy. Not to mention MFP seems to give people this "1200 calorie diet" calorie when someone wants to lose 2lbs a week. They know that going under that number is unhealthy. My plan is MUCH better. If she is only eating 1000-1200 calories a day and burning 500 a day, she is only eating 500-700 calories. If she goes by her BMR, lets say for instance, 1800 calories a day, shes still eating 1200 net calories a day. What is your problem with that? Thats sooo much better than MFP estimates and she is certainly not starving.

Sure, you plan may be better than MFP because it would have them netting 1200 calories however it is still not enough... unless you prefer to lose muscle in the process.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    First, you should never go to the gym every day. You do need a rest day. When you exercise, you break down the muscle and when you rest you repair the muscle. You get your gains when you repair the muscle. I would also suggest switching your routine.. 3 days of weight training and 3 of cardio. Doing both every day will just lead to over training.

To answer the original question, yes you should eat back exercise calories or my preferred method is to include them in your lifestyle and set your account to moderate. This way you do NOT need to eat them back.

I got to the gym 6 days a week, 2 workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I am just fine :) Most of my friends work out every day too. Exercising almost every day has been a HUGE part of my weight loss and muscle building. To each their own ;)

Going to the gym 6 days a week is not going every day. A person can workout six days a week as long as they aren't working the same muscles. I work out six days a week but never work the same muscle groups back to back. And there is NO benefit of workout out twice a day unless you just like it or want to eat more, which I am all for.

And by build muscle, I assume you mean build strength, not actually building new lean body mass?

Yeah, I am interested in building muscle just as much as losing weight. I am really seeing some definition after 2 years of doing it. I do alternate legs and upper every other day. I do abs and back every day but I do different things every other day too. I just thought you made a general statement and wanted to clear it up a little. hehe :flowerforyou:
    As far as double workout days, My husband goes with me on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. To be frank, he cant keep up with me. I stay at the gym 2-3 hours a day and he does maybe 1-1.5 hours. So I decided I would take the extra work out instead of holding myself back. Most times the 2nd workout is me doing random things, following him and his friend around the gym and showing them the machines. I get a good burn in but I'm not as focused as normal. It is mostly about me supporting him and I am not there just for myself. :wink:

You know you need a calorie surplus to build muscle right?

Seeing definition only shows you are losing the fat on top of the muscle... you are not actually building it.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Well i hate to burst your bubble, but you can not build new lean muscle mass on a calorie deficit. I will give you that you have the ability to gain strength, or improving the efficiency muscles, but in order to gain new lean body mass, you need to eat a surplus of calories to create an anabolic state. If you are you a catabolic state, you body breaks down fat and muscle in many case.

Now you can see improved definition as well but that comes from losing body fat.
  • psuLemon
    Options

As far as junk food. Calories are not just calories but its what you eat too. If your eating McDonalds and sugar all day its just not going to work. Just like everything in life, diets are not black and white and there are some gray areas in there. PLUS your not learning how to have a balanced diet and are more likely to overeat when your off "your diet" and you reach your goal weight. High carb, high sugar, high fat foods will send your body on a hunger roller coaster and will cause energy highs and dips which in turn makes you eat more. Its just not healthy in any way.

Anyways, think what you want to. I have results to prove mine. :laugh:

A person's weight loss has nothing to do with their knowledge base. You can be morbidly obese with a PhD in nutritional science. In fact, i would probably listen to the person who has a six pack and only lost 5 lb vs the person who lost 200 lbs with no definition because it's a lot harder to achieve being fit vs weight loss. I have helped hundreds of people on this board with setting up goals. And many of them have lost a lot more weigh than me. What you also don't get from tickers is what is the person's goal. I only lost 8 lbs on my ticker but what you don't realize is I lost 16 lbs, I did a bulk phase and gained 10 lbs and then went back into a cut phase.

Now in terms of your TDEE, the issue can be, you are either over calculating it or you have a suppressed RMR from suppressing calories. The online calculators work for 70-80% of the people. But those who have ED or have suppressed calories for an extended period of time... well it won't work. The reason is they will have less muscle than the average person and they will have an adapted metabolic rate based on their intake. And depending on how long you have suppressed calories, it could take 6+ months to regulate it.

And BTW, I know plenty of women whos TDEE is around 2600, in fact, I have helped a ton of women that cut around 2100 calories. So while yours might not be that high, it isn't that uncommon. Heck, 90% of the women I work with cut at 1800 calories, which mean their TDEE is around 2400 and they only workout 1 hr a day 6 days a week.

Moral of the study, weight loss has zero to do with knowledge.