Being asked how much weight you've lost

Options

Replies

• tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You never know just who you might inspire. Always be proud, loud is optional. :)
  • Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    In my experiences, most people asking that question are asking out of a little bit of awe. I think MOST people think they need to lose weight, and when they notice a difference in someone, they intend that question to be a part of a compliment. There will always be the haters, but I think MOST people mean well. I agree with some of the other posters on here, and something I hvae done myself, just divert them with a vague reply or change of subject.

When I first started my weight loss journey, I was reluctant to share. Now that I'm 3/4 way there, I want to shout it from the rooftops. I feel like it is an accomplishment, like if I had a great performance and won a Grammy or something!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Say... Not much but gosh it looks like you have put some on!
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Once I hit 15 lbs lost, then I didn't care. But before that people I knew who knew I was trying to lose weight would like ask for an update every freaking week and it was uncomfortable when I hadn't lost any. Or when I had lost 1 lb, they would say "oh thats too bad. hopefully next week is better for you".... I'm sorry but I was jumping for joy when I saw that 1 lb loss!

This is kind of how it is for me. I am at 14 lbs lost now, and I am feeling more comfortable when people ask. Before though, I felt like saying "9 or 11 lbs" wasn't very much and I felt uncomfortable saying it. I always felt like I had to explain more saying that I have focused more on "toning up" then actually losing weight. But now when people ask, I am proud to say I have come this far and will tell them all the details, lol. THey are probably sorry they asked :wink:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I tell them I've lost 168 lbs

It's such an outthere number (and so far from the truth) that they don't know what to do with the information.
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Because it is a lot of weight I volunteer the info if they don't ask. Sometimes I volunteer that I had weightloss surgery and sometimes I don't, just to mess with them.

It bothers me more when they don't comment it all. I've gone from a size 22-24 to a 14-16. If they don't comment I feel like they are not seeing me or they are haters. Keeps me strong either way.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Because it is a lot of weight I volunteer the info if they don't ask. Sometimes I volunteer that I had weightloss surgery and sometimes I don't, just to mess with them.

It bothers me more when they don't comment it all. I've gone from a size 22-24 to a 14-16. If they don't comment I feel like they are not seeing me or they are haters. Keeps me strong either way.

Sometimes, when it's a large loss like that, people might be afraid to say something just in case you're sick. I have a friend with thyroid issues, and she gets teased about being "anorexic" and so on because she can't put weight on. I feel bad for her because she actually eats quite a bit. Anyway, I've seen it said on MFP and other places that when people see someone lose a lot of weight, especially in a short amount of time (like with surgery), they're afraid to speak up just in case it's because of an illness, like cancer.
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    I love the opportunity to blurt out numbers!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Not rude. I've come to really enjoy telling people the numbers.
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I usually respond in sticks of butter.... LOL 4 sticks = a pound. Do the math !
  • soobie
    soobie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love bragging about how much I've lost......but I tell them I'm not there yet! Still have some to go :)
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    No one I know have asked me directly but some of found out from my family. If someone asked me, I would tell them over 14 stone (200 pounds). I do get asked have I finished all the time despite wanting to lose about another half a stone (7 pounds). The middle of my stomach still sticks out so would like it to eventually smooth out with the bits at the side.
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm proud to say it!

This ^^^^^
    I know we are all different but I can't understand why it would bother someone to tell the world how successful they have been.
    I'm just glad I am not asked "You look like you have gained some weight. How many pounds have you put on?"
  • xlipservicex
    xlipservicex Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't be ashamed of how much weight you have lost. You should take pride in your hard work. That being said there is no law or rule that says you have to answer any question that makes you uncomfortable. You can easily say "a bunch" or something to that effect. Most people are curious about weight loss because they think about it a lot. Maybe she was interested in seeing how you have lost weight and wanted to see what you have done. Sometimes people spit things out before they think because they are curious about it.
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    From the asker side:

A friend of mine I hadn't seen in a while lost a lot of weight. I knew she had been trying, off and on, for many years. When I saw her I was really happy for her and so proud of her work. I told her she looked amazing. But I though she might be sensitive about the number.

I asked her: Are you at goal?

By referring to goal, I let her know 1) that I recognized that she lost a lot without getting into specifics. And 2) that my asking wasn't nosiness, but that I'm also working toward a goal.

I personally love it when people ask about my loss and I freely offer the number, but I'm pretty open about a lot of things. :)
  • supah_
    supah_ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I usually respond in sticks of butter.... LOL 4 sticks = a pound. Do the math !

Best idea ever!!!!!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a bit because it means I am having success.
  • jennymendiola
    jennymendiola Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I happily tell people how many I have lost!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Sometimes dealing with people who have lost weight is more awkward than dealing with some who just had a tragic death in the family.

Some people are hurt that no one sys anything, other by what is said. There is no script, people are trying to acknowledge your efforts and asking how much is a logical way of doing it.

I like how you said this. I've seen lots of posts saying "I've lost 20 pounds and nobody has noticed." Maybe nobody comments on it because they don't know what to say.

I personally don't like that question because I'm embarrassed at how far I let myself go, but at the same time, be glad that someone noticed. (Although, nobody would ever think to ask someone who has gotten bigger "How much weight have you gained??" :laugh:

I had a friend tell me that sometimes they don't say anything because they think the person could be ill and not intentionally losing weight, even when they look "healthy". I imagine that happens a lot...keeping people from mentioning they've noticed. You never know.
  • BeckyWG92
    Options
    I think there comes a time when it is ok to say, "I'm just excited that I feel so healthy. I'm not focusing on the pounds..." Generally, people are asking for two reasons - 1. they are trying to make conversation, and 2. they really wanna know... which leads to the next question - how did you do it? Most people want to know, to learn new tricks, or quite honestly - to congratulate you!