night time is the worst

Options
please help what can i do to stay away from the fridge at night i do good all day then night time comes

Replies

• LDT2013
    Options
    Go to bed early! Staying up late leads to snacking for me too. Plus, research has shown that people who are well-rested maintain healthier weights. Also, I log what I plan to eat for dinner/snacks earlier in the day so I have a plan to stick to.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I had that problem and it was because I wasn't eating enough during the day. Also, if I have a night when I'm in the snacking mood, I eat fruit, popcorn, a couple of tablespoons of almond butter and other filling snacks. I don't keep real crap in the house anymore and that really helps. I also drink tea and water.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Save calories for right before bed. I do 20/4 IF so I only eat between 7pm and 11pm so usually around 10:30 I'll make a sweet treat. Yesterday I had a chocolate ice cream cone. Also, go to bed early. I take 10mg melatonin at 10:30 so I'll be ready for bed right as my feeding window is coming to an end.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bed, water, friends, family, reading, gaming..take a walk. knit?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat more than half my calories at night so night time eating is no problem. I don't get that hungry during the day typically so I eat light and have lots of calories left for the evening.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm the same... I've given up trying to fight with myself so I eat light during the day and consume the largest portion of my calories in the evening. This sometimes means only having breakfast or lunch and not both. You know what? My overall calorie intake has dropped and I'm losing weight. Basically calories in, calories out.

As long as it doesn't become bingeing, then there is no reason not to change your eating patterns to suit you, if it's helpful.

I tend to have a large evening meal then one or two snacks later on. I just make sure I plan it in advance so that I don't eat rubbish, so making sure you have healthy food for later on is really important (homemade banana icecream, cottage cheese on rye crackers, a few slices of ham etc). I don't feel deprived and I look forward to my evenings knowing that I won't be feeling guilty about eating after 7pm.

It may or may not be a solution for you, but one that's worth considering.
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I take a fiber supplement that makes me feel fuller - konjac glucomannan take 2-3 with a full glass of water. It's about $5-$10 at the store.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Save calories for right before bed. I do 20/4 IF so I only eat between 7pm and 11pm so usually around 10:30 I'll make a sweet treat. Yesterday I had a chocolate ice cream cone. Also, go to bed early. I take 10mg melatonin at 10:30 so I'll be ready for bed right as my feeding window is coming to an end.

I might have to look into this - would fit well with how I eat already.
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First thing to do is *honestly* determine why you hit the fridge at night. Is it because you are hungry and really need to eat or is it boredom eating where you are watching tv and just blindly snacking.

Based on why you are eating you can take different action.
    1) If you are really hungry and your body is craving nourishment, *then plan* in a meal/snack late in the evening and make it healthy.
    2) If it is boredom or blindly snacking you can either find activities to take this away or plan in and have healthy lower calorie snacks to just munch on.
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    im the same mate, try cutting back on your calories durig the day to allow you to at at night i'v been doing this for the last coupl of weeks and it has been working however im struggling with my exercise and think it could be because i havent got the energy.

give it a try and see if it helps.

good luck.