Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    For what?
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Looks like the Kellogg's Protein Shake is made from Whey and Soy Isolate Protein. Soy is not that great for a protein source as it produces estrogen and lowers testosterone - especially bad for a man. Muscle Milk doesn't have Soy Isolate so I would choose that.

Overall, I would find a regular protein powder drink over either because of the high sodium+calories-protein per serving.
  • jmdesrochers
    jmdesrochers Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    EAS carb control ready made protein drinks...with my morning coffee...YUM!
  • ebonijo2
    Options
    Ok thanks for the help
  • ebonijo2
    Options
    Just trying to find a good source of protein that doesn't taste to bad.
  • megiifym
    Options
    Neither! Make your own protein shake if you can! Lots of preprepared protein drinks have added sugar/chemicals etc. Just buy a good quality whey protein that is naturally sweetened and if you want it on the go bring a serving in a tupperware and mix with water or almond milk!
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Other than making my own shakes, I'm all about the Special K shakes. Muscle Milk leaves a nasty aftertaste in my mouth, which is the main reason I don't drink it.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Other than making my own shakes, I'm all about the Special K shakes. Muscle Milk leaves a nasty aftertaste in my mouth, which is the main reason I don't drink it.

See I'm exactly the opposite. I don't like the Special K ones but I do like the Muscle Milk. Really it comes down to personal preference.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    EAS Myoplex Original, pre made Chocolate fudge is SOOOOO good. I actually crave it. They recently changed the recipe because it is better than ever.

I buy the 18 pack 17oz bottles from Sam's Club. It's about $28. Now, I only drink a 3rd a day. It lasts a loooooooooooooong time that way and is affordable.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    In general you should avoid buying ready-to-drink shakes. Buy the powder and mix it yourself. Ready-to-drink shakes have a lot of extra crap added as preservatives that lowers the nutritional value.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    Actually, you don't even need to buy a whey protein. Use Greek Yogurt and pasteurized egg white with fruits and you can get a good protein shake with 30g per serving! The pasteurized egg white is tasteless. The greek yogurt will sweeten with the right fruit.
    Neither! Make your own protein shake if you can! Lots of preprepared protein drinks have added sugar/chemicals etc. Just buy a good quality whey protein that is naturally sweetened and if you want it on the go bring a serving in a tupperware and mix with water or almond milk!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    Need to read the label for sure. The one I suggested has Milk Protein as the second ingredient. It's the good stuff. Water is the first ingredient.
    In general you should avoid buying ready-to-drink shakes. Buy the powder and mix it yourself. Ready-to-drink shakes have a lot of extra crap added as preservatives that lowers the nutritional value.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Another thing to bear in mind is that the Kellogg's one is meant to be a meal replacement for people on a diet while Muscle Milk (and others like it) are post workout nutrition drinks for people doing strength building workouts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would say neither and try to eat your protein...that is what I try to do ..when I do drink protein shake its GNC Amp chocolate..
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use muscle milk and would choose that over the kellogg as it has better quality whey protein
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I only like Muscle Milk because it comes in Banana.

Does the Special K shake come in banana? If not, I think you know the choice you have to make.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    For a powder protein shake that taste good, I like Syntrax Matrix or Nectar. They are about the best tasting and have quality ingredients, and mix easily.

Matrix has quick release, medium release, and sustained release protein that can be used as a meal replacement.

Nectar is a quick release protein for just before/after a workout.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I go for the musle milk powder and mix it with water.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk has A TON of other stuff in it besides protein. I don't know anything about he Kellogg's thing. Post their nutrition if you want more info.

And I'm one of those people that doesn't much care about the specific ingredients all that much, so bring on the chemicals and preservatives!

Optimum Nutrition is a popular protein powder. Mix it with water and it's decent, mix it with milk and it's pretty good, mix it with milk and ice cream and it's damn near dessert.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I like Designer Whey. Lower in carbs and higher in protein. I mix it with Almond Milk for a low calorie calcium boost. Hope that helps.