Bench press.

Options
Hello I am new here, I was wondering if anybody else here lifts weights on a regular basis?
I used to do both cardiovascular and weights around 3/4 times a week then stopped for a good 10 months and put on a lot of weight, however lately I've really got back into weight lifting recently. So i was just wondering if anyone would mind posting there bench press schedule etc how many times a week you do it and how often you do it?

Replies

• Doctorcb
    Doctorcb Posts: 31
    Options
    I do P90X. Takes the guess work out of it!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends on what you're looking for.

I don't bench anymore (more of a front delt exercise than a chest exercise to me) but back in the day I used to throw up ridiculous weights (670+ lb bencher).

With the bench, if you're looking to add poundages quickly, LESS is MORE. One time a week is sufficient. Anymore than that and you'll overtrain and your gains will slow down.

A 3x's per week bench press routine might be ok for a high school kid but as we get older, rest & recovery is the key.
  • simon24
    simon24 Posts: 2
    Options
    I do my bench press twice a week with a few other chest exersices. Mine consist of bench press, Brench press with incline & Dumbell flys. Usually a 3 day gap inbetween for rest. Havent been doing it that long personally so not using really heavy weights. 3x10 reps for each excersise.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I never lifted any muscle group more than 1x/week.

I had 2 typical workout schemes.
    1. General
    Flat Dumbell press 2 sets warm up, 3-4 sets 6-10 rep
    Incline dumbell press 3 sets 6-10 reps
    dumbell flies 3 sets 10-15 reps

2. for max strength
    regular bench 2-3 sets warmup then 4 sets 5,3,2,1 reps with very heavy weight(be careful, use spotter & proper form)
    incline barbell 3 sets 6-10 reps
    3 sets of pick one-flys, dips, pec deck etc