Have you been inked and does your ink tell a story?

Options
tycamsdad
tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
Many people that know me well probably wouldn't know this about me but I have two tattoos - one on the back of each shoulder. The first one is a bulldog and was in memory of my beloved bulldog that passed. I also got this one to prove to my wife that even accountants can be unpredictable. (I got it when she and the boys were on vacation and I surprised her with it when she got home). The second is the Miami Dolphins logo and doesn't really carry any meaning other than it is my favorite team in any sport. I may get a third one of the Detroit Tigers olde English D as a reward for reaching my goal weight but I'm not sure where I would put it.

I know these aren't very exciting and that many people have an almost spiritual connection with theirs. What do you have and what story does it tell?

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes.

That was easy.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have an armband which has symbols to represent the people/ things that are important to me, and where I am from. My home County is Dorset, UK and the area's symbol is an Ammonite, quite a cool (I think) thing to have. Obviously it would be a different story if I came from somewhere else :wink:
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have 15 tattoos some mean something and others are just "fun" pictures that fit my personality.
    that ones that mean something are: Polish falcon (I'm 1/2 Polish)
    Erin Go Bragh with a shamrock (I'm 1/2 Irish)
    Jolly Rodger flag (Pirates are my favorite sports team)
    Moon and stars ( mom and I went together to get moon ans star tattoos)
    Haley Lizzy ( the name of my first niece)
  • KainStar
    KainStar Posts: 197
    Options
    Yes, a few times, love the feeling!

And all tell a story of course.
  • brianna49415
    Options
    I have a couple of tattoos!
    I have a diabetes ribbon that says "soul meets body" on my arm because my dad, grandpa, uncle, and multiple cousins have diabetes
    and I have a tribal dolphin on my hip that I got two weeks after I was discharged from the hospital from trying to end my life. It's my own personal victory marker that I look at every time I get flashbacks from that night or things just get hard :)
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a phoenix on my back to remind me that no matter how bad things seem, I always have to power to start fresh. I want to get one in memory of my grandfather and might do it when I reach my goal weight.
  • CheriLMT
    CheriLMT Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a flock of birds on the inside of my left wrist....to me birds are free....I have struggled with bipolar for years now and my ultimate goal is to live free...fly in spite of bipolar
  • _TEMPEST_
    Options
    Symbol of my faith with Theban script around it.
    Kinda self explanatory :smile:

I also have a dragonfly on my foot (totem), a bindrune on the back of my neck, and stars behind my ears.

6494_1158264909215_3942571_n.jpg
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i have 3.

i hate 2 of them.

the third is ok.

when i have the money, i'm getting the 2 removed.

i was a stupid stupid 18 year old.
  • onlythetancan
    Options
    oh where do i start... I drew/designed all my tattoos

1) my first one was a butterfly on my back, i got it because i wanted a tattoo and i waited a long time to find one i liked then picked colours that suit me

2) I like tribal tattoos on people but I never wanted one of those really thick black ones so i designed one that a shaded grey and more feminine, it started just across my back but ended up from my right shoulder to my left knee ( i know its big for my second one )

3) I have a dragonfly on my hip, i love dragonflies i think they are a beautiful creature

4) My favourite flower is a pink oriental lily so i have this on my left shoulder and it ties into the tribal one

5) my star sign is Pisces but i didnt want the typical fish sign so i have a zodiac star sign symbol on the back of my neck

6) I have always loved mermaids since i was a little girl and still own the little mermaid dvd so its fitting i have a mermaid on my right thigh :) I have named my mermaid and all the fish and the turtle and the eel too :)

7) my butterfly didnt really fit in now so i designed a spider web to go under it, its a bit of a dig at myself i guess as i am arachnophobic! i still could never get a tattoo of an actual spider though!

8) my most recent and my biggest, had this done about 6 months ago! it took just two days and its done. 3/4 sleeve on my left arm. i love it. i have a girl on the bottom of my arm with a tiger tattoo on her back, this to me is showing I admire people with ink and that I'm not just doing it to prove any point to anyone or rebel, I have a cherry blossom tree on my inner arm simply because whenever i see one i always think "one day I will have a house with a cherry blossom tree and it will be beautiful", i have a lotus flower - I have traveled through cambodia and Egypt and the meaning of the lotus really speaks to me " for a pure beauty to come from murky/dirty waters". on my upper arm I have a girl with her reflection in an ornate mirror - her reflection is different and more sexy, this means that you should never take someone on face value and we all have other hidden sides. I have a moon and beside it an earth because i love to travel our beautiful planet. i wanted to leave it a bit fun and girly so i have some really cute butterflies with skull heads and some cute dragonflies to match my larger one.

that's it so far ;)
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have three. One on my left shoulder which is a Cleveland Browns helmet and my dad's birthday and day that he died, and I have one on the inside of each wrist with my kids' names. My dad was a huge Browns fan and he and I shared that, so I thought the helmet was fitting. Planning on getting more later!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    The stars are for my Grandparents that have passed, the circle... haha its' a reminder that you shouldn't get a tattoo to spite your exboyfriend that hated them. Research your artist!

The other one is my breast cancer ribbon for my Mom. She's a survivor.

a3360a8c-f661-4d18-b244-035b57ff080c_zps838d2d0f.jpg
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I have one on my back with my two oldest boys name on it, one on my ankle and little dot tattoos for radiation after I kicked breast cancers *kitten*....I'm getting two more...pink ribbon with survivor around it and my 3rd sons name :)
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    yes. and yes. =)
  • ericaknight95
    ericaknight95 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    tattoo_zpse92b68a1.jpg

Literal interpretation of a songbird. Yes, I am aware the 8th note is backwards. It's supposed to be that way.
  • Topdog67
    Topdog67 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have one on my left shoulder. It is a bulldog with a Marine Corps Drill Instructor cover on and USMC over it. Because I am proud to be a Marine. Once A Marine, Always A Marine.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I just have one tat that I drew/designed myself.
    Tinkerbell meant to symbolise me never "growing up/old", Underneath Tink has a ribbon with 4 small hearts, one for each of my kids, and one larger one for my hubby. I love it.

I'd love another one, but what and where, I havent a clue yet.
  • Kashmir09
    Options
    Yup a few tattoos and yes :wink:
  • BillyD81
    BillyD81 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I have 4 and all have a great meaning to me. My first was a tribute to my daughter that passed away 2nd was my other two childrens names 3rd is the childhood cancer ribbon with the word hope under it in honor of all the children fighting cancer and my last is a whitetail buck skull. Hunting is my addiction.
  • MissDeAnn
    MissDeAnn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have two tats. I love them both! one is of a star colored in purple with my nickname through it in pretty letters. All of my first female cousins on my mom side has this tat ,we wanted to do a family thing. My other one is the fist one I got it's butterflies that start at my foot and go up several inches below the knee. They are purple and black and some other colors. I love butterflies and that's why I got them and it's no secret that my favorite color is purple.