Peer Pressure!

Options
I need some fresh ideas. At work, I have a friend who peer pressures me every single day to eat out for lunch, eat junk-food snacks, etc. (This person is also my boss!) At home, my husband wants to order out or go out to eat just about every night. I take steps to thwart them- I bring my lunch, but my friend puts pizza on my desk. I make supper in the crock-pot, and come home to find Chinese take-out. I have talked to both of these people repeatedly about how important it is to me to eat right. I know all the reasons they're doing this. I really need some fresh ideas on how to handle this constant temptation! :)

Replies

• sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    While I know it may be hard, ignore them. Eat what you want not what they want you to eat. Hopefully they will get the hint and let you be. Tell them politely, no thank you I have my own meals! Good luck.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When they put it in front of you, make sure that they see you throw it in the trashcan. I don't consider this rude if you have already talked to them about it and they continually ignore you.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Why don't you suggest an activity like bowling instead?

Or use these: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/snarky-comebacks-to-inconsiderate-clods-163026
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Why don't you suggest an activity like bowling instead?

Or use these: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/snarky-comebacks-to-inconsiderate-clods-163026

Those are funny! :laugh:
  • tropicpalm
    tropicpalm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Tell them you can't eat it because you are allergic. People seem to show more compassion for a condition than for diet efforts. And, it's not really a lie because if you eat it, you will break out in FAT. :wink:
  • meepberry
    meepberry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel like positive gets a better reaction than a negative. Instead of saying something like, "I don't want to get take out because I'm on a diet" say something like "I've been looking forward to eating ____ all day actually. But maybe tomorrow I can make this healthy chinese take-out fake-out recipe I found!" Or when your boss asks you to go out with her to lunch tell her that you brought your lunch and its exactly what you want to eat, but maybe you could get a cup of tea/ eat lunch together outside/ go on walk during one of your breaks." Something like that.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    Why don't you turn the tables on them. Bring your foods and offer them to join you instead of them asking you. That way you can seem polite but you are getting your point across that you want to eat what you should be eating. You could start by saying something like "since you are always inviting me out to eat, I thought I would treat you with something healthy and delicious today. It saves the trip"
    It might not stop it or control the problem. You can't really control what they do but you could stay strong.
    Another thing you can do is go to where they want to go and order the healthiest thing there (something within your diet plan). Restaurants are used to picky eaters nowadays. Also, some people don't like dining with picky eaters so if that turns them off, they won't invite you anymore.