how does MFP come up with daily goals?

Options
I understand eating 1200 calories per day, but I'm finding it hard to even reach that amount without going over my max in the various nutrient categories, especially for fat, fiber and protein. My MFP daily goals are
fat: 40
protein: 45
fiber: 14 (!)

I haven't had dinner yet and already am over for fiber (14g seems really low!)

I know I can change the individual levels, but how do I know what to change them to??

Replies

• butterbean4283
    butterbean4283 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I shoot for over 100g of protein and 25g of fiber daily.
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over in protein. I don't know how they come up with these goals.
  • greyoutside
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't go over your fiber. I actually try to go over my fiber every day. Same goes with protein and healthy fats. Don't worry about those. Just because those numbers are red, doesn't mean they're bad!

If it bothers you, keep track of things like sodium instead. I try to keep that low.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I NEVER even worry about my fiber, as long as I have enough (which I always do). Same with protein. I could care less if I have too much (in fact, many articles I read say there's not such thing as too much protein/fiber). Fat, I worry about. Carbs I kinda do but it's rare for me to even have to look at them since I'm not much of a carb girl.
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's fine to go over in protein and fiber! Fat try not to go over too much, although you should definitely try to meet the goal (not be too far under) using good fats.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    don't worry about anything other then calories. you should be MINDFUL of the other macro nutrients. sodium can make you retain water, and therefore make you "weigh more." protein, carbs, and fiber are good things to keep track of because you can see with foods help keep you full.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I understand eating 1200 calories per day, but I'm finding it hard to even reach that amount without going over my max in the various nutrient categories, especially for fat, fiber and protein. My MFP daily goals are
    fat: 40
    protein: 45
    fiber: 14 (!)

I haven't had dinner yet and already am over for fiber (14g seems really low!)

I know I can change the individual levels, but how do I know what to change them to??

Those are minimum goals for the things that have no negative effect, like fiber. Sodium is max limit usually.

Carb, protein, fat is FDA suggested levels for 2000 calorie diet.

Protein can always be gone over the limited amount they use, and as long as you get some good fats, the trade there doesn't matter.

Do some research on Google from respected sites, and make sure the perspective is of eating in a deficit.

Level correct for eating 2000 calories for maintenance may be too low when eating at deficit, where more protein is really needed.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You can manually change your macros in your goals. A good starting point is 40carb/30pro/30Fat, and 25g of fiber is what is recommended by most drs.
  • rayyesnk
    rayyesnk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I thought these were max levels -- which seemed crazy.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Go to Goals> select Change Goals> select Custom, hit continue> change what you want> select Change Goals
  • rayyesnk
    rayyesnk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can manually change your macros in your goals. A good starting point is 40carb/30pro/30Fat, and 25g of fiber is what is recommended by most drs.

my carbs goal is 165!! that seems high, doesn't it??
  • Karoger87
    Karoger87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've went through and individually looked up how much of every nutrient I should have lol. I'm 5'6", 180 lbs. , almost 26 yrs old.
    I am eating between 1,300 & 1,500 calories daily. Here's what I got.

Carbs- 140g
    Protein- 105g
    Saturated Fat- 14g max (usually don't reach that much)
    Polyunsaturated & monounsaturated - I aim for 10 g of each
    Trans Fat- 0g
    Cholesterol- 200 mg (usually don't reach 200)
    Sodium- 1,500 to 2,000 mg
    Potassium- 3,500mg
    Fiber- 20g
    Sugars- 60g (mostly natural sugars)
    Vitamin A- 300%
    Vitamin C- 300%
    Calcium- 300%
    Iron- 400%
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    Fiber doesn't affect your calorie count, but it does help to keep you full and satisfied, and cleans your system. Carbs, protein and fat make up the calories you are eating every day. Protein and carbs both have 4 calories per gram, fat has 9 (alcohol has 7 calories per gram but there isn't an RDA for it). The details for fiber and other micronutrients (i.e. vitamins) are guidelines based on the US RDA. Unless you have a medical condition a balanced diet should provide the necessary nutrition.

MFP uses the US standards to determine the base level of c/p/f for a 2000 calorie diet. As mentioned above the ratio can be changed. You'll get almost as many opions on this topic as there are MFP members.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

my carbs goal is 165!! that seems high, doesn't it??

the 40/30/30 is the percentage you enter in your goals, not the total grams. That number will depend on your total calorie goal. If the 165g is what was set by MFP, that is probably 55%. Lowering it to 40% would take that number down a bit. Personally, I do better with even lower carbs and have mine set at 20%, which keeps me around 50-75 total carbs for the day. That is on a 1200 cal plan.
  • amydogadko
    amydogadko Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I too was wondering about how they decide on the macro numbers for my 1200 calories. I usually go over in some area or another, but I'm not really counting anything regularly.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @rayyesnk
    how does MFP come up with daily goals?
    How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-