Exercises that are good for bad ankles/bad knees

Options
Yikes. I love the workout that 30DS has been giving me, but it has already messed up my knees and ankles and I am only on level 1! Is level 2 less ankle/knee heavy? Has anyone else experienced these issues?

I have even tried doing this routine:

2 days 30DS
1 day cardio
2 days 30DS
1 day cardio
Rest day

…And it is still hurting. Grr.

What are some good cardio exercises to do that doesn’t involve heavy use of the knees and ankles? Right now I do yoga and the elliptical, and 30DS was making me feel really good until recently!

I don’t have a gym membership, so swimming isn’t an option for me unfortunately. Also I am allergic to chlorine (I seem to have a world of problems…)

Thanks for your suggestions! I really want to get in shape.

Replies

• greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If the major part that is hurting your ankles/knees on 30 Day Shred is the cardio, you could try to do those on a rebounder. I plan on trying that trick when I start doing the 30DS again.
    If you would like a completely different workout, Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVD's are good for anyone with issues such as those. Very low impact, but gives you a good workout! They range from anywhere between 1 and 5 miles (might be some that are further, I'm not sure), and they do sell combo DVD's so that you have the choice of milage you walk any certain day!
    Hope this helps!
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice!! :)
  • greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just another little tidbit I heard from a close friend. She drinks Joint Juice that you can find in the vitamin section of Walmart, and it has helped. She recommended it for me just last week, so I have not had a chance to try it yet.
    I found that glucosamine is the main ingredient in this, so if you are short on money (as we are) then you can just buy a large bottle of glucosamine pills in that same section for a lot less and try that out. I think the juice has a few other helpful ingredients but on a strict budget you might not be able to afford the drinks. She said they aren't too expensive though.
    I know that there are probably varied thoughts on this juice helping, but it is worth a try!! :)
    Hope you find something to work!!
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A week or so back someone posted a link to a youtube video showing a gentleman with bad knees doing DDP Yoga to lose weight and get back in shape. He went from not being able to walk without canes and braces to being able to run again. I watched the video and checked out the website after and then searched these forums for feedback on the program and it looked legit. I have an issue with tendonitis in my right ankle (I can't even play Dance Central on my Xbox right now without fear of limping for a week) so I'm thinking of picking it up.