Insanity or Les Mills Combat

Options
I am wanting to get started on one of these and am not sure which one is better. I like the reviews for both but not sure which would be best for my starting off point and goals.

I would like to lose about 60 lbs. Right now I log about 6 miles a day on my fitbit, but am not running and have no arm strength at all. About 10 years ago I used to dance and before that I was an avid soccer player.

Has anyone tried these and what do you think is better for losing weight and toning, starting at the basics?

Replies

• CLD79
    CLD79 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    anyone??
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I'd look at clips on YouTube and see what you prefer. Insanity is too high impact for my back. Have you looked at Turbofire too. It's more fancy but also kickboxing type of stuff.
  • reginambyram3923
    Options
    Insanity was hard on my ankles and calves for the first 2 weeks. Once I got used to it, it wasn't a problem anymore.. then my wrists started bothering from all the pushups. I made it through though and lost 11 lbs. I still have about 15 to go. I toned up more than I burned fat for sure. but as we all know muscle burns fat. I am actually doing Les Mills Combat now. I was following the schedule pretty good for 2 1/2 weeks and lost 2 lbs a week. Then everyone in my family got sick right after eachother so I slacked for a couple weeks and now trying to get on the wagon.

Insanity is harder. I started to dread every night we workout out.. lol. Especially the 2nd month was rough. Intense in a shorter period. But Les Mills is a great overall workout and a lot more "fun" in my opinion. The music is fun, keeps me pumped up.

Insanity does help build your stamina. My husband hadn't run for the length of time we did Insanity and he ran the faster he's ever run for his military physical fitness test after we did it.

I know it's a late response but I hope you found something that worked for you!
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I love how Insanity transformed my body. It is hard on your knees, but you should know when to take it easy. I started out with Jillian Michael's 30 DS first just to get some upper body strength. You will need it if you are going to do Insanity. Good luck.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Not tried les mils so cant comment! Love insanity! sure its hardcore but its very good value for money and kicks my butt! My running times haven't improved considerably!
  • lbransford
    lbransford Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What type of results can be expected from Insanity if not following the nutrition plan? While I know everyone is different, I am trying to decide if I will yield greater results from Insanity versus hardcore running. I have not worked on my running in a very long time and would be starting fresh again with it but I do remember liking my results from running back when I first started years ago. Any advice? I, too, thought about Les Mills Combat but already own Insanity and P90X, neither of which have I stuck with longer than a couple of days.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It really will be a matter of preference on what you enjoy doing. They are completely different programs. Insanity kicked my tail. I loved it and finished every workout knowing I had just worked very hard. Did I enjoy it? Eh, it was fine. Body Combat, I enjoy every single second and cannot wait to do it again. It is an awesome workout and I always leave feeling energized and ready to take on the world. Both are really good workouts, but it will be all in what you prefer. I agree with the previous posts about watching them on youtube and seeing what you like. I have always been drawn to kickboxing so for me Body Combat is awesome. If you aren't into that, then I would go towards Insanity.

Note: I don't follow either as my only program. I have done them in combination with running and HIIT. I just get bored so mix it up more than following one set program
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    What type of results can be expected from Insanity if not following the nutrition plan? While I know everyone is different, I am trying to decide if I will yield greater results from Insanity versus hardcore running. I have not worked on my running in a very long time and would be starting fresh again with it but I do remember liking my results from running back when I first started years ago. Any advice? I, too, thought about Les Mills Combat but already own Insanity and P90X, neither of which have I stuck with longer than a couple of days.

You will still get good results. As long as not following the meal plan doesn't include Chips for breakfast, Ho-Ho's for lunch and Ice Cream for dinner. I am in week 5, have lost 8 pounds, and roughly 9-10 inches overall (4 from my chest in the first 2 weeks.) I don't follow the meal plan and it's still working. I am not one of the "I have to eat [ insert diet here, Paleo, Atkins, whatever ] or I will never lose the weight" people. I have made changes like eating breakfast, never did before, eating fruit for snacks, snacking on nuts. I still eat hot wings and drink beer, just with way more self control than I used before. As long as you bust your butt and you aren't living on "junk" food you can still get there with Insanity.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options

I am week 4 of insanity. I am not following the diet. Eating whatever I like but making better choices. I still eat fast food. Had Chic fil a for lunch today. I am still seeing amazing results. Starting month 2 I will follow the diet more closely since I hear I will need it to get thru the workouts. I am a 48 year old woman... Who says age determines fitness?
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I am week 4 of insanity. I am not following the diet. Eating whatever I like but making better choices. I still eat fast food. Had Chic fil a for lunch today. I am still seeing amazing results. Starting month 2 I will follow the diet more closely since I hear I will need it to get thru the workouts. I am a 48 year old woman... Who says age determines fitness?

I SOOOOOO miss Chic fil A!!!! Should have thought about that before moving north!
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options

You will still get good results. As long as not following the meal plan doesn't include Chips for breakfast, Ho-Ho's for lunch and Ice Cream for dinner. I am in week 5, have lost 8 pounds, and roughly 9-10 inches overall (4 from my chest in the first 2 weeks.) I don't follow the meal plan and it's still working. I am not one of the "I have to eat [ insert diet here, Paleo, Atkins, whatever ] or I will never lose the weight" people. I have made changes like eating breakfast, never did before, eating fruit for snacks, snacking on nuts. I still eat hot wings and drink beer, just with way more self control than I used before. As long as you bust your butt and you aren't living on "junk" food you can still get there with Insanity.

Agreed :drinker: