Time to Admit and Commit

Options
Hey everyone, my name is Miki. I am 19 and realized that I am extremely overweight for my age and height. This first came to my mind when I was labeled as a Borderline Diabetic and although my mom said it was from all the medication they put me on, I knew it was because of my weight.
I have a hard time telling people, guys mostly, how much I weigh. I mean, wouldn't you feel uncomfortable? I hang out with a wide variety of people but most of my friends are fit and athletic. They complain about how they are "fat" because their size 2 jeans don't fit them. I cry when my size 12 jeans don't fit. I get so angry with them because I look at them and I'm just like, you are not fat, I am. They always say the same thing, "Oh you are just thick boned, you are not fat". Yeah, weighing 170 lbs and only 5'4, isn't fat.
I guess the reason why I am even saying this is because I think the first step even to losing weight is being able to admit it. Yeah maybe I am alone on that one but everyone is different.
I hope that everyone here reaches their goals and I hope I reach mine.

Replies

• HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hi Miki. Feel free to add me for support!!!!
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Now that you have admitted... time to commit! You can do it! :)
  • kyleesartwell
    Options
    Best of luck on your journey of weight loss and healthy habits! I just (re)started on My Fitness Pal this morning after weighing myself this morning! Please feel free to add me! We got this!
  • Purple5150
    Options
    You know what you want. So do it for yourself. Commit to yourself, and log your progress. Accountability helps! I may be new to MFP but I remember being in your shoes at your age. Just remember............YOU CAN DO THIS! :glasses:
  • Yecats1990
    Yecats1990 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Miki :) I am 22 and only just joined today! I used to be one of those skinny people that complained about being fat but I always thought to myself actually I'm not that fat and scoffed some more cake lol I recently went to the doctors for some injections for a holiday I was going on and I was weighed by the nurse and she told me I was 7st 13lbs (I am 5ft 2") and my jaw dropped because I was originally 7st before I quit my job at an outdoor animal rescue centre and started working at a hotel restaurant. I used to snack on chips and any other waste food coming my way and I was doing less walking. So I started walking miles 4 times a week sometimes just 3 miles and other times 12 miles. Its a good excercise that is not only free but you can do it alone, with a pet dog, with friends, listening to music and best of all every single day no matter what you are up too :p I was feeling great within the week I found that I ate less and my mood in general was much happier. I guess everyone is different people come up to me and say I wish I had your body and thats fair enough but just recently I outgrew my clothes....... pretty disappointed lol My belly now jiggles when I walk in fact I think I felt my back jiggle too! I know this reply has been long winded but I'm here for any support you may need or whatever, I am about to start my Jillian Michaels fitness DVD 30 day shred. So if I'm still alive after feel free to chat lol and most importantly just remember this is not about how much people have to lose everyone is different it's about making you happy with yourself, your body and your life. So Good luck with everything and stay at it I promise it will work :) xx
  • sashastackhouse
    sashastackhouse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Way to admit you need help getting on the healthy track. Now it's time to turn words into actions! Feel free to add me or send me a message with any questions (I'm 22 btw if that helps).
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yeah, weighing 170 lbs and only 5'4, isn't fat.

Hello Miki. I'm the same age as you and I weigh only about fifteen pounds less than you do, but I got here from quitting all the sports. I gained almost 30 lbs in one year and had to recently admit to myself that I needed to change something about the way I treated food and my body.
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I wish the very best for you on reaching your goals for losing weight and being happy with your body. I have spent more of my years overweight than "thin" so I know how hard it is to "admit & commit". Been there, done that. You've got the right attitude for making a change and a great support group here at MFP to do it!

Just be patient and you will reach your goal! You're already off to a great start and I know you can do it!!!
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    The admission is a huge thing. Then comes the motivation, which MFP is excellent for! Feel free to add me if you'd like (I always feel awkward friending people myself, like I'm forcing their hand or something :P). I log daily, I have an open diary, and I try to be supportive and to toss out interesting posts so people have something fun to check and read and such :)
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Before the first step is taken,realization that the journey is indeed necessary and just. You have my support, if it is needed.