What do you do? Exercise

Options
Hey guys. I was curious about a few things so I decided I would make a few post with each of the questions I have. First up is :What do you do exercise wise?

Do you do videos? (P90X, Insanity, Tapout, ect) Do you just run? Push-ups and sit-ups? What ever you feel that day? Do you have a personal trainer? Ect.

What types of work outs work for you? Which ones don't? Do you have work out partners? Work out alone???

Replies

• RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy three days a week at the moment doing 5x5 5x4 and 5x5x3x8

I do cardio three times a week involving machines and group fitnessclasses

I have a Personal Trainer every two weeks for half an hour of pure hardcore make me feel sick workouts. I love it!

What works for me is heavy lifting. Ive done it before and lost a lot of inches

What does not work for me is lifting light weights lol.....

I dont have workout partners I prefer to get in the zone on my own I become more focused that way

All the best on your new challenge :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    No videos. I do ballroom and latin dance, road cycling, paddleboarding and heavy lifting.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you do videos? (P90X, Insanity, Tapout, ect) - - Yes, I am currently doing Turbo Fire. Probably going to do Insanity after that. Before I was doing Zumba.

Do you just run? - - I do run when the weather is nice, but I don't just run (see above and below)

Push-ups and sit-ups? - - Pushups yes, regularly. Sit-ups, no. Squats and tricep dips - regularly.

What ever you feel that day? - - Usually, though now I am following the Turbo Fire schedule as much as possible.

Do you have a personal trainer? - - No

What types of work outs work for you? Which ones don't? - - I've never done any workout that didn't provide benefits of some type, but the more intense, the more noticable the results.

Do you have work out partners? Work out alone??? - - Alone, usually. Except when my husband and I go hiking.
  • mollysmomma81709
    mollysmomma81709 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i started doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred dvd 12 days ago. I started getting up early and doing it in the morning before I get ready for work. I think it's working great. I can already tell that my energy level throughout the day is much better. And a 25 minute session burns something like 280 calories! Get it done and out of the way first thing and then I dont have to worry about it anymore. I'm planning once the season changes to get back to walking/running outside.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    In winter I snowboard 5 days a week, lift heavy 3 to 4 days and do a treadmill session once per week.
    In the Summer I switch out snowboarding in favour of running either on the treadmill or outside, but I only run 4 times per week.
    No trainers or classes, I have a workout buddy every Sunday and occasionally train with the boys.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    People here do all of those things and more. I'm wondering if your real question isn't "What should I do?" If so, we'd need to understand about your goals, your current fitness level, your access to a gym or other fitness equipment, and any physical limitations you may have. Wouldn't hurt as well to let us know if you already have some activities you enjoy.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Right now I do Just Dance 4 on the Just Sweat mode and I'm hooked. Its a ton of fun. Once the warmer weather comes around I do a ton of walking with two kids in a stroller.
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing The 30 Day Shred. I'm on Day 22. I'm loving it!! I do it first thing in the morning. It's a great start to my day.

I normally do videos and then walk when it's nice weather out.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    6 days a week I do almost 2 hours of elliptical and walking uphill on the treadmill. Every other day a lift 5 pound weights for my upper body. Medically I can't lift more than 5 pounds so I do more reps instead.
    I don't workout with a trainer. On my day off I take a long walk with hubby.
    I feel all my exercise is benefiting me. My LDL has gone down to normal and I sleep well for the most part. I also feel very energetic and limber.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I run 5 or 6 times a week, totaling 22-25 miles (unless it's a cut-back week, then I'll drop to 15 or so), and take 1-hour Pilates classes twice a week.

One complete rest day. No personal trainer, but I am in a couple of running training programs, where we have classes on different subjects before or after our runs, and coaches to turn to if we need advice.

I run with people 3 times a week (training programs) and alone the rest of the time. I like both time to myself and the distraction of chatting to someone while I run, so it's a nice mix for me.

EDIT: Benefits: running makes me stronger, is great for cardiovascular system, and burns off a lot of calories so I can eat more and still be at a deficit. Pilates strengthens and tones my whole body, especially my core, which should also benefit my running (but I haven't been doing it long enough to say that's worked yet).
  • roxy08fox
    roxy08fox Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do a whole lot of different things:
    running, eliptical, Slim & 6, kickball (competitive - not your average kiddie sport), walking, spin class

I think it's fun to keep mixing it up. :happy:
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I used to be kind of a gym rat. I would use all the machines and do heavy lifting 5-6 days a week. I don't have the gym as a option anymore right now, so I use Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVD (it's 5 miles in 60 minutes)
    I do kneelifts and other things for abs. I use light weights (10lbs) for arm work and squats and lunges.
    I also walk to the nearest metro station twice a day (an extra mile, total)
    I no longer use a trainer because I just use his methods. I run when I have a treadmill available (usually at the gym), I havent run outside yet unless I'm racing my kids :happy:
    I try to exercise with someone, but its hard to find someone as dedicated as I am. I find that talking my way through my workouts make them go quicker, without sacrificing intensity. I used to go to the gym with 2 others who had the same goals and we pushed each other, but our schedules got in the way.
    I try to burn at least 3500 cals a week in exercise (not counting my commute-walking or any other subsequent exercise) or around 3 hours. I can usually do this in 3 sessions, so it equals 3 days a week. Most of the time, I do more.
    I am going to get the 30ds and ripped in 30 from Jillian soon, Ive heard great things!
  • misskate1987
    Options
    Every week I do 2x half hour PT sessions + Body Combat + Cycle/Spin.

On top of that I do a mixture of other things - sometimes I run (I'm actually trying to run 3x a week), or play Just Dance etc.

I am considering starting 30DS.

Essentially I like to mix it up, otherwise I get bored!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I just run 25-30 miles a week. I run because I like it, which is far and away the most important thing to me. I don't do videos or sit-ups or push-ups or anything. I don't have a personal trainer and I don't run with others (except races). I do what I like, because that's something I'll stick with.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    When I'm stuck in my 6x9 cell........at work....lol.. I do Insanity, but have cut back to 3 to 4 times a week as it was wearing on me, and I complement it on off days with spinning and resistance band training. The hardest to get motivated for is the weights, boooooorrrrriiinnnggggg
  • iggylove123
    Options
    5 days a week (sometimes 4 sometimes 6) I go to the rec center at my university and hop on a Precor EFX. It's an awesome machine! I get resistance AND an incline! I do that with 12 incline and at least 9 resistance and stay on for at least 35 minutes. That burns at least 500 calories! Then I alternate between leg days and arm days. I work my triceps, biceps, pecs, shoulders, etc. It's all in my diary! I usually work out alone, but my ipod keeps me company :)
  • bud9776
    Options
    Elliptical 4x per week for 40 min each clip. Get lost in a movie or show and before I know it i am done. Which is the best part of course :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I was a personal trainer. I have good and bad opinions on that, but if you choose wisely that can be helpful in reaching goals. I have the P90X and that is good, as well as Billy Blanks and a few others.

The key to all of it is consistency though. Any of that will work if you do it daily or every other day.

Watch what you eat and do what you like. You will be healthier.
  • martina2611
    Options
    Elliptical 4x per week for 40 min each clip. Get lost in a movie or show and before I know it i am done. Which is the best part of course :)

I do this too, The walking dead, revolution, 13, all good shows and I know I have half an hour of each and if something scary happens I do go harder lol like I could outrun a zombie attack.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights 3 days a week.
    I do one long distance cross-country trail run per week.
    2 days a week I run shorter interval runs.
    One day a week I rest.